Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
They are also anti gun as well. The main reason I can't stand them. How did you feel about One term Bob vetoing ccw, and taking away our Confederate Flags?
He didn't take away my confederate flag so I'm not sure where your going with that. I don't agree with him vetoing ccw but he's not in office anymore. I don't concern myself with it, I have much better things to be doing like studying for Calculus tests.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
I would have thought it impossible for an OP to hijack their own thread with off topic nonsense.

Until today.
You should have known better, sir.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
I would have thought it impossible for an OP to hijack their own thread with off topic nonsense.

Until today.
Amazing, aint it?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I have a question, onegoal: You don't live in St. Louis City, so why do you care who controls the police department for a place which you again, a) don't live and b) regularly deride on this forum.

If St. Louis is as godforsaken a violent place as you like to imply and occasionally even all out claim it to be, wouldn't that mean the state is doing a lousy job of running said police force?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
And what Lincoln did to especially Missouri, and Maryland was illegal.

Lincoln had an iron fist on Missouri because out of all the border states MO was the most pro confederate and fragile and closest to seceede. IMO they did in neosho but thats another debate. KY never would have seceeded.

Claiborne Jackson did nothing unconstitutional.

The reason why Stl lost control of their police is because they wanted to aid the union arm, which basically would have been treason at the state level aiding the enemy.

uuummmm ... i know i'm going to regret this, but isn't treason when you act against the interests of your country?? seems to me that seccession would be a much more treasonous act than a city police force defending the laws of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA......

Quote:
I suspect St Louis citizens, decidedly sympathetic to the 'Union invaders' at the time, might have questioned the 'constitutionality' of the Southern sympathizing governor butting in to their city business and seizing control of its police force for the sole purpose of trying to gain control of the city.

Then again, I doubt 1 in 100 Missourians know - or care - who Clairborne Jackson was.

There is a Civil War thread on city-data. Why don't you use it and leave the Missouri thread alone?
yes, please......

Quote:
Both parties are, but the liberal city democrats are far more corrupt than any Republicans.
really?? how do you figure??

and aragx6 beat me to my final comment..... you don't live in the city.... by your own admission, you never even GO into the city except to watch hockey games and then you go heavily armed..... .... why does this concern you AT ALL??

Old 10-15-2011, 01:53 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
I got sad news for ya...the union invaders won
I'm not even sure you could call those people invaders. St. Louis was a pro-Union city. It even voted for Lincoln in the the 1860 election. And in any case, Claiborne Jackson was pro-secessionist when much of the state was not. Prior to Camp Jackson, he really seemed to be the only Missourian interested in leaving the Union. Afterwards, he still didn't have the majority of the state's support. Many more Missourians supported the Union than those who didn't.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:01 PM

543 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm not even sure you could call those people invaders. St. Louis was a pro-Union city. It even voted for Lincoln in the the 1860 election. And in any case, Claiborne Jackson was pro-secessionist when much of the state was not. Prior to Camp Jackson, he really seemed to be the only Missourian interested in leaving the Union. Afterwards, he still didn't have the majority of the state's support. Many more Missourians supported the Union than those who didn't.
Most of the state lawmakers were secessionist. I mean state senators, and representatives. At the Federal level too. Some of them got evicted from US Congress.

Secession support was strong in southeast Missouri bootheel, and little dixie area.

The bootheel around New Madrid was the most pro secession part of the state.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:05 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Most of the state lawmakers were secessionist. I mean state senators, and representatives. At the Federal level too. Some of them got evicted from US Congress.

Secession support was strong in southeast Missouri bootheel, and little dixie area.

The bootheel around New Madrid was the most pro secession part of the state.
Not prior to Camp Jackson the state lawmakers weren't. Little Dixie was, that's true. Same with the bootheel. But it was pretty obvious that the state government wasn't that representative of the whole state, otherwise more would have fought for them. There's really also no proof of a quorum..we're missing evidence, and to make a conclusion based on that is really out of the question because they didn't have the power to take the state out of the union regardless. 80% of the state convention remained intact and still supported the Union.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
uuummmm ... i know i'm going to regret this, but isn't treason when you act against the interests of your country?? seems to me that seccession would be a much more treasonous act than a city police force defending the laws of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA......

yes, please......

really?? how do you figure??

and aragx6 beat me to my final comment..... you don't live in the city.... by your own admission, you never even GO into the city except to watch hockey games and then you go heavily armed..... .... why does this concern you AT ALL??
HOW DARE YOU USE FACTS AND REASON!!!! lol

Old 10-15-2011, 02:57 PM

543 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Not prior to Camp Jackson the state lawmakers weren't. Little Dixie was, that's true. Same with the bootheel. But it was pretty obvious that the state government wasn't that representative of the whole state, otherwise more would have fought for them. There's really also no proof of a quorum..we're missing evidence, and to make a conclusion based on that is really out of the question because they didn't have the power to take the state out of the union regardless. 80% of the state convention remained intact and still supported the Union.
The state lawmakers were conditional unionist. Tennessee, Arkansas, and Virginia at first rejected secession as well. Virginia actually took some work to get it to seceede as at first there wasn't a overwhelming support for secession.

Missouri's lawmakers were the complete opposite of Kentucky's. Most of Kentucky's lawmakers were strongly pro union. Even their governor who was stubburn on the lawmakers being pro union, even he vowed to remain neutral. While Claiborne Jackson was strongly pro Confederate as we saw.

The newspapers did report there was a quorom present for both houses in Neosho but not all the records have been found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri