Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,264,108 times

Advertisements

When is the fall color best in Mid-Missouri

O.Nana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 05:10 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Generally, when you have a decent rainfall followed by a cold snap, that will get the leaves a-turnin'. In Carthage, it is usually at peak around the middle of Oct. which is why the Maple Leaf Festival is held the 3rd Saturday of Oct. Some years are warmer and the trees have barely started. Sometimes they are past peak. Here is a website to give you some ideas for driving tours. I don't know how much you see in Mid-Missouri, but the Ozarks sometimes give the Vermont "leaf-peepers" just as good a show.

A1.Ozark Mountains Fall Foliage Report, Photos, Foliage Driving Tours in the Ozarks

The Conservation Dept might also have a page to keep you updated.
Hope this helps and I think we need to start a thread for pictures when the leaves turn this year. Make the other states jealous!

Old 08-23-2007, 05:23 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Most every year around here in Mid MO, it has been about the 18th of October.
I have scheduled trips around the counties just for that reason. BUT only if we get enough rain prior to then. If not, then we wind up with a few days of some color only on some trees and then take your pick of lovely shades of brown.

The counties I am referring to are Phelps, Maries, Osage, Gasconade, Cole, Boone, and Crawford. Enjoy.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:19 AM

430 posts, read 1,264,108 times
Thumbs up Thanks guys!

Thanks for the tips and websites! I think I have Mr. convinced that I would be easier to live with through the winter here in Tucson if we went to the Lake house ONE MORE TIME before we close it up for the winter in preparation for the move in March.

I have lived in Tucson since 89' moving here from Michigan....every single fall I get teary eyed because it's my favorite time of year.....there ain't much "fall" in Tucson! So, if I can pinpoint that fall color at Lake of the Ozarks (our house is in the middle of a forest) maybe, just maybe I can get him to go in October!!

O.Nana

Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,632 times
Cool It depends...

I am pretty sure it depends on the rainfall all summer. And whether you are in town or out in the country...and the further south you are, the earlier the colors turn. Or is it the further south, the later...? It's too early for thinkin!

Since I've been here, we've had color in late September that was long gone by Halloween, we've had years where we didn't get much color until mid October and it lasted until Thanksgiving!

So I guess a safe time to visit expecting color would be mid October.
And there are "fall color" drives that you would love...we take Hwy 65 south early in the fall onto Hwy 7...the color and the views are spectacular.

Happy Thursday.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 AM

Colour changes start north to south Along the 'bluff' areas on Hwy. 63 it is usually spectacular.

Hey LJ only 7 more to go. You have soooooo many looking out for you.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
I am pretty sure it depends on the rainfall all summer. And whether you are in town or out in the country...and the further south you are, the earlier the colors turn. Or is it the further south, the later...? It's too early for thinkin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Colour changes start north to south Along the 'bluff' areas on Hwy. 63 it is usually spectacular.
Thank goodness I have you'se guys lookin out for me...

Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 AM

871 posts, read 1,985,286 times
I just seen that picture frbll31. That was sooo beautiful!! It reminded of Thanksgiving. Like its time to start defrosting that turkey. Thanks for sending that.!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:29 AM

Smile Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Thank goodness I have you'se guys lookin out for me...
That's What Friends are for!!!

So glad others (try) keep me in line!

Back to Fall Colours, tho': So much around here is going to bypass the usual gorgeous, bright colours and maybe go to more yellows and then browns. UNLESS we got more rain.....

Old 08-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Ozark Nana,

I've been worried about what's going to happen to our fall colors, not to mention the health of the trees overall, with the bizarre March/April we had.

I have a couple of cedar trees that were fine last year and are suddenly completely dead. Brown. Dried.

Time will tell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri