Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 PM

226 posts, read 267,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchi View Post
I would like to move to Missouri and looking for a land to build a house and have a small farm. Do you know of any counties in Missouri without building codes?

There is no mandatory building code in the state of Missouri and all code enforcement is done on local level. So, if you know of a place that you can recommend, please let me know. I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Forget Jackson County (Kansas City) and cross off St. Louis area (but why would you want to be there - or Kansas City actually - anyway - think high crime - remember Ferguson which definitely shot itself in the foot these past few months). Cross off New Madrid area where the next great quake is expected SOMEDAY.
GET TOO far south - close to the Ozarks and we're talking DELIVERANCE country imo Harrison County, where my ex grew up (he says - about the growing up part) is pretty backward so would seem a good shot anywhere like that "up north". Hopefully I won't get any grief from residents of those environs. Oh well, you can't please everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
It's scary to think that there are no building codes in certain areas.
Why would that be scary? In most of those areas you have no close neighbors anyway.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
It's scary to think that there are no building codes in certain areas.
it's scary to think that there are people who are still so ignorant of history and lacking in common sense that they think incompetent, corrupt, mindless bureaucrats are somehow necessary for people to live their lives and build their dwellings safely, ESPECIALLY in areas where you are far from neighbors, so you're not hurting anyone but yourself. there are bigger threats than people stupidly building houses that might be a little more flammable than otherwise. and if you're concerned about those threats, people could form HOAs and things like that to ensure their neighbors don't do stupid things. but the solution is not to have corrupt *******s impose stupid rules on everyone no matter where they live in a county that make it impossible or unaffordable to live.

building codes and permits are only there to suck more money out of people, and to create a monopoly for skilled trades.

ultimately, what building codes mean, and this has happened countless times in real life (ya know, where you don't live or understand)....

is if you don't follow them, and you don't pay, and you don't agree to get off your property when they condemn it or take it due to the building codes, at the end of the road, someone comes with a gun to your house and kills you if you try stay there and live peacefully like a normal human being.

all over....some code that says your roof has to be made out of 1 inch plywood instead of 3/4 or some bull ****.

sounds like a nice system.

remember it's governments wanting more and more control down to every little facet of our lives (such as is represented by building codes) that killed 300 million people in the 20th century alone. https://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM

how did we ever build societies without building codes? america was built and people starved and bled to get here because there was no government sucking off you to death like in europe, and there were no building codes, but people naturally built the safest dwellings they could, and if they once in blue moon didnt, they ****ing suffered for it, like normal natural life as people have done since the beginning of time. oh what a tragedy.

welcome to real life princess.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Here in Vernon county, the main city, Nevada, has a provision in the city charter that forbids annexing any property unless the owners ask to be annexed. So almost all new homes are built outside the city limits. Lower taxes and no building codes. The city itself is so restrictive on building that no one wants to build here. For instance, my garage is 100 years old(it is in good shape) but if I wanted to tear it down and rebuild new, I would have to move it over 7 feet to meet newer city codes. I can't even put up a fence in the back yard without city approval.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:20 PM

20,860 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmik123 View Post
it's scary to think that there are people who are still so ignorant of history and lacking in common sense that they think incompetent, corrupt, mindless bureaucrats are somehow necessary for people to live their lives and build their dwellings safely...
Speaking of history, this is what you get when there are no building codes - or at least, building codes that aren't (or are difficult to) enforced:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-11.963...uUow!2e0?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@-15.830...b00w!2e0?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@-1.3746...bJow!2e0?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.852...0Ehw!2e0?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.770...wriA!2e0?hl=en
At least this one is lively:
https://www.google.com/maps/@23.7420...DssA!2e0?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@13.7108...diOg!2e0?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@11.5386...hJbA!2e0?hl=en

Be thankful for building codes, the alternative is worse.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:21 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,366 times
Well some Counties there is No Building Codes and can get away with just Outhouse long as you are quiet about it. Most your Rural Counties you can have a Lagoon if you have 3+ acres.

brushrunner

Old 08-01-2017, 01:40 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,366 times
This place wasn't even built on the right property. Didn't have Septic or Running Water but did have Electric.

This place at first didn't have anything but got Electric then Running Water and Septic.

But no there wasn't any Building Codes.

brushrunner

Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 PM

672 posts, read 810,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
There have never been building codes in many Missouri counties so you bring up pictures of 3rd world hellholes to show the importance of such? Wtf? At one point there were no building codes anywhere and people still built and lived better here than 3rd world spots. Your point is worthless.

Just left a beautiful Missouri county with ranches and farms with no building codes. Beautiful place. The only ugliness and unsanitary and not so safe looking was some double-wides parked on land here and there. Don't need building permits for those.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 PM

Some building codes are just stupid.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You must not like the idea of freedom. Keep it up and you will be needing a permit to grow 1 tomato plant out back.. Honestly the towns/cities can have their codes, but if i buy land and want to build MY home on it by whatever means i have available, it is my duty to myself and my family to make sure it is safe, not someone i don't know and couldn't give a **** less about our safety. I am an adult, i do not need nor want big brother telling me what to do with my means. It is sad that in "the land of the free", in most places, someone has to have their nose in your business all in the name of "safety". I really would like you to think about this and realize that not everybody wants to play the game, and just wants to live a peaceful, satisfyingly simple lifestyle and not be bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri