Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
gonna be eating more than my fair share of good old Missouri pork in less than a week, can hardly wait!
You are not enjoying rubing it in one bit R U. Well I made my version of pulled pork today and it was so good and I'm not having to wait a single day. Had fried okra too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You are not enjoying rubing it in one bit R U. Well I made my version of pulled pork today and it was so good and I'm not having to wait a single day. Had fried okra too.
Sorry, just cant help myself, the pork ya get down here just does not taste the same!
BTW, I showed DH the pix of your garden a while back, you should have seen his face when I told him that was pretty average sized if you wanted to put veggies up for the winter.... he's a Fl boy, ya know

Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
And you can't imagine how much I want a tiller and a box of chocolate for Christmas... Oh and did I mention a couple of acres of MO black dirt? Maybe a gift certificate for some garden seed from Burpee? Add one more acre of pasture for the chickens. See I'm not hard to please.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:34 AM

57 posts, read 186,756 times
Deep fried mushrooms with horseradish dipping sauce

Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Talking Repeat of Gooey Butter Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
My MIL had this recipe from the St. Louis Post Dispatch, April 5, 1972:

It is credited to H.Davis, Jr. of Davis Sutton Bakery in Maplewood, MO.

You ready?OK here goes:
GOOEY BUTTER CAKE

1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup shortening, 1/4 teaspoon salt,
1 egg , 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 cup milk (whole),
1 tablespoon vanilla , 1 pkg. (.06 ounce size) compressed yeast

for Gooey Butter:

2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 1 cup BUTTER, dash, salt,
1 egg, 1/4 cup white corn syrup, 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon vanilla (real)

And Here Is How To Do It:

1. Make a sweet dough by mixing 1/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup shortening and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add egg and beat one minute until well blended.

2. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup milk. Add flour, then milk and vanilla to sweet dough batter. Mix three (3) minutes.

3. Turn dough out on floured board and knead for one (1) minute. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a towel and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.

4. Make gooey butter by combining 2 1/2 cups sugar, one (1) cup butter and a dash of salt. Add one (1) egg and white corn syrup. Mix enough to incorporate. Add remaining flour and vanilla.

5. Divide dough into two (2) pieces. Place in well-greased 9 x 9 x 2 pans. Crimp edges half way up side of pans so butter will not run out underneath. After dough is spread, punch holes in dough with a fork (to keep dough from bubbling when baking).

6. Divide butter into two (2) equal parts. Spread over dough in each pan. Let cakes stand for 20 minutes. Then bake in a 380 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Do Not Overbake: batter will not be Gooey if cakes are over-baked.

7. After cakes are cool, top with confectioner's sugar.

As I stated, this is an old recipe from a bakery in St. Louis county from many years ago. Similar to one I have, but the ingredients here are more like what I believe is the original. Enjoy
Posted this quite awhile ago. Hope to take the time and make it later this week. If anyone else tries it, let me know.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
Quote:
Yes mam, moo yas gots moo that right. They be moo cow brains....

moo moo moo
Well I haven't read all these Good Things.But most Brain Sandwich was Hog Brains.

I remember going to the Market seeing Hog Heads hanging.Never let anything go to waste.

I don't know if these have been brought up but Fried Suckers and use to be able to get Carp Lips at the Lake.

My wife use to bring home Turkey Fries,talking about something going good with a Cold Beer.

hillman

Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 PM

Oh, please check out this link for the kind of 'Brain Sandwiches' that I am making reference to:

...........Fried-brain sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were delicious and I only wish that I could still find them around here in the country.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Oh, please check out this link for the kind of 'Brain Sandwiches' that I am making reference to:

...........Fried-brain sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were delicious and I only wish that I could still find them around here in the country.
Ok but I still like the flavor of Pig Brains.Now Squirrel Brains are good too.

Oh just made me think.Me and my wife went to my Grandparents for Christmas Dinner.Grandma had fixed up a bunch of Possums and Coons for dinner,she had left the Heads on.My wife took a look and made a face.I asked what was the matter she liked Possums and Coon?Yea but I'm not use to them Grinning at me.

hillman

Old 04-13-2009, 04:14 PM

No to possum, coon and squirrel brains. Do not like them at all. I have hunted and fished for over 50 years and I enjoy venison, pheasant, quail. Used to hunt rabbit and squirrel. Not any more tho'. Coon and possum are just to greasy for my taste. Many 'coon hunters in the country here. Funny about the 'grinning' meat!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
No to possum, coon and squirrel brains. Do not like them at all. I have hunted and fished for over 50 years and I enjoy venison, pheasant, quail. Used to hunt rabbit and squirrel. Not any more tho'. Coon and possum are just to greasy for my taste. Many 'coon hunters in the country here. Funny about the 'grinning' meat!!!
If you have done this over 50 years do you remember Carp in the Stores?Ate alot of Carp and Catfish when we live on the Missouri River.

As far as Coon when I first moved in with my wife I had her cook up a Coon she said she wouldn't eat any.Well came time to eat she ate just as much as me,seems while she was cooking she was tasting and decided it was pretty good.

hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri