U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:06 PM

13,706 posts, read 3,865,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I find that kinda hard to believe, I have traveled extensively throughout the South, slaw is everywhere!
Kentucky Fried Chicken has always had cole slaw on thier menu although I have not been there for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 11:52 AM

5,334 posts, read 5,963,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I find that kinda hard to believe, I have traveled extensively throughout the South, slaw is everywhere!

Maybe if you asked for cole slaw. It took me a while to understand the mushe-mouthed slurrings of hillbilly waitress in West Virginia asking if I wanted "slaw on my dog"

Then indignantly being called a "yankee" when I asked if they had sauer kraut.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM

23,444 posts, read 17,159,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Maybe if you asked for cole slaw. It took me a while to understand the mushe-mouthed slurrings of hillbilly waitress in West Virginia asking if I wanted "slaw on my dog"

Then indignantly being called a "yankee" when I asked if they had sauer kraut.
Lol, yeah........they kinda look at me funny here when I ask for kraut and onions on a dog, go figure! Not like I am a product of a Midwestern upbringing!

Last edited by kshe95girl; 10-07-2009 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: redundancy

Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 AM

23 posts, read 58,146 times
Having been raised in Mo., I was raised on anything and everything fried...fried fish, deer, squirrel, rabbit, chicken, etc. Always with mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and salad. Other than fried foods, I would say everyone appreciates a good burger with suzys. When you are sick, or when it's cold out, nothing hits the spot quite like chicken and noodles. As for dessert items, everyone seems to love pies and cobblers. Personally, I prefer a good cake, but I am definately in the minority on that.
Oh, and for breakfast, you have to have eggs and bacon with fried potatoes...
Doesn't it suck that all of the yummy, traditional foods are the ones that make you fat and clog your arterties?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:31 AM

18,953 posts, read 15,704,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin_09 View Post
Doesn't it suck that all of the yummy, traditional foods are the ones that make you fat and clog your arterties?
As some pundit once observed in so many words, "If I did everything to ensure I'd live to be 100 I'd have no reason to want to live that long!"

Old 10-10-2009, 12:46 PM

2,124 posts, read 2,947,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As some pundit once observed in so many words, "If I did everything to ensure I'd live to be 100 I'd have no reason to want to live that long!"
It's not like I smoke or chew, or blow out my liver with too much boozin' it up. But I do have a couple of nice pork steaks thawing out right now, and my bottle of Maull's Smoky BBQ sauce at the ready. Dang, probably gonna have to buy another bag of Kingsford next week after payday!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:34 PM

18,953 posts, read 15,704,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
It's not like I smoke or chew, or blow out my liver with too much boozin' it up. But I do have a couple of nice pork steaks thawing out right now, and my bottle of Maull's Smoky BBQ sauce at the ready. Dang, probably gonna have to buy another bag of Kingsford next week after payday!
Maull's rocks, but so do my sauces and rubs. I just bought a kicked-up gas grill with enough burners for a moon-shot lift-off so I have to learn BBQ all over!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:44 PM

712 posts, read 1,397,813 times
I was born in St. Louis and lived there in the West End area near Forest Park from birth to age 16 (1948-1964). After that I have lived in seven states, both southern and western.

The foods I remember that I haven't had in a long time are things like scrapple, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, and succotash. Also, I haven't seen sauerkraut served as a separate dish. Or rhubarb, though I never cared for it anyway.

In those days my mother would typically serve a casserole (tuna, or bean, or whatever) with a Waldorf salad or a carrots-and-raisins salad. I suspect that that sort of fare was more common all over the country in the 1950's than it is now, and it may not be typical of Missouri. We had a milkman, and they aren't too common any more either. I never had game in Missouri, other than an occasional duck that a hunter might shoot and give to my mother or grandmother and that didn't happen too often.

At school we usually had sandwiches or hot dogs or something. Nothing too unusual. My friends in high school told me of eating out at Steak 'N' Shake or at some mom and pop pizza parlors which were supposed to be fabulous, but when my parents took the family out we would go to a Chinese restaurant called the Shanghai. I actually never had pizza or real Italian food in Missouri. Almost never had BBQ except rarely at large picnics.

My paternal grandparents lived in Springfield, and were very, very poor. When we "descended" on them, Grandma would always serve fried chicken, mashed potatos, and fresh green beans and corn from her garden. Then, homemade pie for dessert (pumpkin or apple).

My maternal grandparents also lived in Springfield, and he taught at Drury. They got everything fresh from local farms - - milk, eggs, and even fresh baked bread from somewhere were all delivered. I don't remember what they served for dinner, because it wasn't always chicken!

I can't think of ANY typical Missouri foods that aren't found elsewhere, that I want or long for. The few things that I think of as typically Missourian probably aren't eaten in the 21st century even in Missouri, because few people liked them (like rhubarb? EWWW). I didn't really think food was one of the many wonderful advantages of living in Missouri. I'm moving back but not for the food! OK, I'll shut up now. LOL

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 10-14-2009 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri