U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:49 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,546,235 times
Default Missouri Favorite Foods

While traveling in the Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia states, noticed that the folk there had their favorite recipes and that certain foods were indigenous to those areas. Do you have any foods or recipes that you consider Missouri favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 12:05 PM

3,746 posts, read 2,944,656 times
I would assume foods that St. Louis came up with might be popular in Missouri...I know they are popular throughout the Midwest...gooey butter cake and toasted ravioli are two that come to mind.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:10 PM

14,964 posts, read 19,677,751 times
Favorite Midwest Foods:
Any Hotdish
Lutefisk
Pasties
Salt and Vinegar Chips
Sweet and Sour Pork
Sweet Corn

Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 PM

30 posts, read 81,879 times
In My Area:
goulash
juicyburgers
fried taters
bratwuurst
homemade ice cream
kettle beef
kettle korn

Old 08-25-2007, 08:26 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,776,913 times
what is kettle beef?

and what is
lutefisk??

Im going to say Ooey goey butter cakes , fried fish, fried chicken, .. I am closer to St. Louis so those are pretty much the favs...

Old 08-26-2007, 11:04 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,807,955 times
In SW MO:

Chicken fried steak with cream gravy
Babe's hamburgers
Taco Town(greasy pseudo-Mexican,local icon)
catfish,bass,crappie
venison jerky or summer sausage
anything buffet
Cashew chicken
Biscuits and sausage gravy
Shake's custard concrete
homegrown veggies

Old 08-26-2007, 11:24 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,314,643 times
Default Food...glorious food!

One of my favorite subjects...food.

We have to add biscuits 'n gravy to the list.
Only place I've ever lived that had biscuits 'n gravy everywhere...even the Chinese buffet.
And speaking of Chinese buffets...no discussion of local cuisine would be complete without a discussion of Cashew Chicken!

If you've ever lived anywhere else, and are familiar with this savory dish of cashews & stir fry poultry...you will be amazed the first time you order the above mentioned delicacy in SW MO.

My sis and I did just that about a month after our moving vans were unloaded...and what greeted us was a plate brimming with something like chicken nuggets...covered with gravy and sprinkled with toasted cashews. This, dear reader, is Springfield-style Cashew Chicken.

The story, as I hastened to uncover, goes like this.
Get comfortable.
About 40 years ago, an enterprizing fellow named Leong looked around Springberg, MO and realized that opportunity yawned.
No chinese restaurants.

So he (and I think a brother or more was in on it) took out a mortgage on a piece of dirt on Sunshine just west of Campbell, filled it with red paper lanterns & savory smells, and hung out the OPEN sign.
It bombed.
The locals turned up their conservative midwest noses at the odd, unfamiliar offerings and said, "Nuh Uh."
So the Leong fellows, being of a creative and clever lineage, put their heads together and came up with a more palatable, Americanized version of the most common of Asian foods.
Instead of stir fry, the chicken was breaded.
The sauce...er...gravy...was ladeled on...
A dusting of the old familiar Cashew Nut applied...
You got it.
Cashew Chicken!
Now you will see this on menus far and wide throughout the central and upper Midwest: Springfield-Style Cashew Chicken.
It's become a staple.
It is, of course, delicious.
After all...it's fried chicken!

And now you know...the rest of the story.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,546,235 times
As always LJ, so full of information. Thank you, Paul Harvey, stand in..

Yes, around these parts: biscuits 'n' gravy. But, the gravy has to have bits of Sausage mixed in it!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 AM

28 posts, read 151,066 times
Default In SE MO

Don't forget the fried okra!

fried chicken
chicken and dumplings
bbq
baked steak
homemade strawberry shortcake
and vine-ripened tomatoes

Old 08-26-2007, 12:39 PM

871 posts, read 1,272,747 times
I know you've heard of hushpuppies right? There's a restaurant out here that started in Louisiana and they make some good hushpuppies. BBQ brisket, links and chicken. "woodies" Its pretty good. I hear the mention of hushpuppies in country songs and wondered how popular they were.
Sweet tea also. I grew up on sweet tea. Grandparents were from Illinois, and my other , Grandmother from Great Brittian. I gots to have my tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri