Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
Be aware, there is definitely a contingent of people who believe that the coasters moving to the area are not a positive thing...I've heard several people comment that the "Californians" (read: any transplant) aren't very good neighbors. They're probably mostly mad that the rude SOB up the road never waves when he drives by.
I understand that. I think most other states in which people from CA move to would have a similar view. It's to bad that the good folks from CA get a bad rap because of the bad ones.

We plan on moving out of CA, have been for a long time, and we realize that there will be many that will have this view where we move. But we are not the typical Californians we would wave, help a neighbor, fix a fence, etc. For us it will take action not talk to overcome the California stigma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 05:23 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Coastal people are rude, IMO. lol

My husband and I took a roadtrip a few years back, drove from our home in NJ all the way across to California, then back again, making a big circle. It took a month and it was awesome. As soon as we got out of the east coast states, there was a noticeable difference when we met people. People were more open and friendly, would come up to us and chat, and driving was much friendlier. There was less severe speeding/cutting people off, little if any road rage. Then, we got to California, and felt like we were back in the New Jersey/New York area! When we got to Oregon, it got a bit better...Washington State, a little better...and once in Idaho, it was nice again.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:12 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
...Then, we got to California, and felt like we were back in the New Jersey/New York area! When we got to Oregon, it got a bit better...Washington State, a little better...and once in Idaho, it was nice again.
Well, CA, OR, and WA are well known for their liberal rudeness. I live in Sacramento and I actually run into many many friendly people here. So it's not true of all CA.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 PM

63 posts, read 212,447 times
This Missourian has been out on medical leave. Good new is...I can walk again and enjoy the gorgeous fall weather here. I've enjoyed reading what you all had to say here. I sort of winced at anyone thinking there is no road rage in the state. Avoid I-70 from St Louis to Kansas City if you don't want to experience idiots in true form behind the wheel. Crime? Of course we have crime. It's anywhere you choose to live in the US. I think the trick is...choose a place where the crime rate is low. There's a big difference watching the news from one city to another on TV. Just tonight I had one station on that used words like murdered, arrested, shot, injured, embezzled. Then I switched stations and they were reporting on the AWFUL pot holes in some streets, and why big packages can't be left at mail boxes. BIG difference. If I had to move to another state, I am sure I could find a place where I could be happy. But I sure would miss the Missouri hills and trees and clear running streams.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:53 AM

169 posts, read 678,652 times
I think there is road rage everywhere, it's just worse in some places. I rarely encountered it when I lived in Missouri and I drove I-70 daily. Here in Texas I see it every day. You have to be on the offense constantly because you never know what idiot is going to try to cut you off and nearly run you off the road just because you happen to obey the speed limit. I loved driving when I lived up there and found it relaxing. Now I dread getting behind the wheel.

Missouri is surely a beautiful state with so many friendly people. I miss neighbors looking out for eachother and helping out when needed. They say you never know what you have until it's gone- I surely learned that lesson when I moved away. No place is perfect, but someone on this forum once said Missouri was God's country and I completely agree. Flaws and all, it's a really wonderful place to live.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:17 PM

53 posts, read 201,243 times
Smile Always a surprise

It never fails to amaze me that regardless of where someone is coming from or plans to come from MO folks never have a bad word to say. I know I've said this before, but what I mean is they never point out that TOO many people are looking at MO to relocate, or that things will become congested etc. They pretty much just say 'come on down'. I don't know if I can handle all this friendly - but I'm dang sure willing to give it a try. I'll even practice my waving skills... you guys are luck I already know how to build a FENCE!

Old 10-06-2006, 09:36 PM

To GayleAZ

Hahaha....Did anyone mention you have to have a sense of humor to live here? lol....you qualify.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:48 PM

I just checked the local paper for front page news. Here are some of the headings: Fire District Holds Open House, City Light Pole Contest, Lord's Acre Sale, Flu Shots Available Soon.
**Sigh** It's home.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,057 times
Thumbs up God Bless Missouri

I've lived in NY, NJ, FL, CA, ME, and TN. My wife and two boys (5 & 7) are appalled and disgusted with the moral sewage that characterizes so much of our culture. It saddens us to see the degree to which we have stooped as a nation. Having travelled through all of the contiguous states, it is my opinion that Missouri still offers much of what once made this nation great, especially with regard to biblical values. My wife and I have decided to move away from our families and loved ones to pursue what we believe to be God's will for us. From the posts I've read here, it's my guess that many of you will understand our present concerns. We will be putting our house up for sale soon and trust God will direct us toward a community (preferably rural) of God fearing folks where we can raise our family and enjoy the fellowship of believers. Please feel free to offer suggestions/recommendations with regards to areas suitable for small farming, ponies, chickens, etc. We're leaving Ur of the Chaldes in search of whatever God has in store for us. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:46 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
Missouri has its fair share of sewage... plenty of crime, plenty of meth labs, and plenty of intolerant racists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weilerman View Post
I've lived in NY, NJ, FL, CA, ME, and TN. My wife and two boys (5 & 7) are appalled and disgusted with the moral sewage that characterizes so much of our culture. It saddens us to see the degree to which we have stooped as a nation. Having travelled through all of the contiguous states, it is my opinion that Missouri still offers much of what once made this nation great, especially with regard to biblical values. My wife and I have decided to move away from our families and loved ones to pursue what we believe to be God's will for us. From the posts I've read here, it's my guess that many of you will understand our present concerns. We will be putting our house up for sale soon and trust God will direct us toward a community (preferably rural) of God fearing folks where we can raise our family and enjoy the fellowship of believers. Please feel free to offer suggestions/recommendations with regards to areas suitable for small farming, ponies, chickens, etc. We're leaving Ur of the Chaldes in search of whatever God has in store for us. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri