U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:50 PM

871 posts, read 1,290,417 times
Default What exactly is a partial basement?

As I look through listings I often come across this partial basement thing. What does that mean exactly?
Or I find ones that say basement/foundation-blockwall. Does that mean the basement is made out of a blockwall or its a blockwall foundation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 02:00 PM

126 posts, read 319,524 times
Cool Hi Please help with question

Hi Due to the fact I have been looking on the internet that is a great question. I know Mo. may get tornados so the walk out or partial basement help us in a tornedo? Please educate us
Thanks
Icelady

Old 09-02-2007, 02:11 PM

46 posts, read 153,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
As I look through listings I often come across this partial basement thing. What does that mean exactly?
Or I find ones that say basement/foundation-blockwall. Does that mean the basement is made out of a blockwall or its a blockwall foundation?
well your basement (if it has one) will be your foundation. most basement walls are made out of cinder blocks cause its cheaper, or some walls are poured in place (solid concrete) i myself will be going with superior walls

partial basement? that could mean a couple of things. either the basement doesnt cover the whole house or its partially finished. i've been out there looking at houses and see basements that are as big as a good sized bedroom and people just use it as a storage area.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:54 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,371,079 times
Question Basements...

Cyberbone has it right, a partial basement could mean that only part of the house has a basement under it, or it could mean it's only partially finished.

We have a lot of walkout basements here...I have only seen a couple of houses on flat lots that had "hole in the ground" basements.
Picture...if you will...a sloped lot. If you dig down on the higher part and remove that dirt, then put your foundation down into the earth there, you have a house that is one level at the front and two levels at the back. A walkout basement. This is very common in this area, because the terrain lends itself so perfectly. (It ain't flat!)

As for helping in a tornado, yes, I know people who have a guest room set up down in the back of their walkout basement and they sleep there during storms. First of all, it's quieter!

Some people from CA don't like those back-of-the-basement bedrooms because they don't have windows and they are worried about fire...but that's another disaster thread.

Hope that helps.
And block foundation is, indeed, cinderblocks. Some are reinforced with rebar. Is that how you spell it, rebar?

Old 09-02-2007, 05:02 PM

871 posts, read 1,290,417 times
fire now ya got me worried about ! Oh lord help me!

Just playin.. Thanks for clarifying that for me ya,all I appreciate the help!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 PM

77 posts, read 125,273 times
Smile Huh ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Some people from CA don't like those back-of-the-basement bedrooms because they don't have windows and they are worried about fire...but that's another disaster thread.
So LJ, are you saying once me move, we no longer have to worry about fire?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:22 PM

46 posts, read 153,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastescapee View Post
*cough*fire sprinklers*cough* *achooo*smoke detectors*achooo*

Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,673,034 times
Here in the northern part of the Ozarks and hilly areas, partial basement are common. They are basements that do not go completely under the whole house's lower level. They are used for many different reasons and are built for many different reasons.

Missouri, in many locations is rocky! Very rocky. And without blasting this rocky area, cannot have a 'full' basement. Not talking about 'rocks'. I am talking about a 'rock shelf' that may extend anywhere from a few feet across to hundreds. And not just inches deep, but many feet. Soooo, partial basements may be the answer.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM

880 posts, read 1,811,199 times
Default more on basements

We moved here about 4 months ago from Las Vegas (CA before that) and the house we bought is on a top of a hill and has no basement. The chances of getting hit with a tornado down here are way less than getting damaged by an earthquake in CA (I"m a native Californian..born in San Andreas country).

However, we do have what our contractor calls a "partial basement" under the motorhome garage. It is basically the same width as and 1/2 of depth of the garage structure.

Would I go there during a tornado warning....I'd have to SEE the tornado. Being full poured concrete with no windows it reminds me an awful lot of a masoleum. Ummmm.

A lot of homes down here don't have basements. Chances of fire are actually higher than chances of a ripper of a tornado gettin' ya. It's very hilly here so the big roaring things don't form like up in the plains. As you get closer to the lake the likely hood of a tornado gets even less. Not too say that they couldn't happen, but chances of other things killin' ya is better.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:41 PM

9,555 posts, read 4,570,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastescapee View Post
Well it's all green, so it ain't going to go up in smoke like we do every year.. The ranchers don't even have firebreaks..... Gotta love the green...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri