Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 PM

682 posts, read 2,565,897 times

Advertisements

Do most people in Missouri have storm shelters built into their homes or do they go to public facilities when the alerts are sounded?

I do not remember seeing any standing shelters when the cameras pan over the damage after a Cat 4 or 5. Being claustrophobic, I would not go underground and would want one made that is above ground. Maybe these are not very good.

If there are any contractors here, please let us know your opinion about these shelters.

altus2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:51 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Many new homes now have a small shelter built into the basement. Usually it is under the front stoop of a home with a basement. There are many underground shelters that you can install yourself or have installed. When an F-5 tornado approaches you need to be underground. The F-5 is called the "finger of God". The F-5 is the most powerful type.
When the tornado struck Greensburg Ks this spring it sucked three basements out of the ground. Most likely there was some form of a cavity either underneath or beside the basment walls. Sucking basements out of the ground is extremely rare.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
You wouldn't have time to get to a public place. You have to get in the basement.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
You wouldn't have time to get to a public place. You have to get in the basement.
I tend to disagree. With the new Doppler weather radar we get very good info in a timely fashion. They don't issue a tornado warning until one is actually spotted on the ground. So that means the first guy and those in the immediate area don't get the warning, just a visual. ymmv.

This last spring when they had the tornado strike Greensburg Ks the residents had about 1/2 hr to get to shelter. Many mobile home courts have a community shelter. Those that don't; are on their own.

With tornado's you shouldn't be scared of them but you had better respect what they can do!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Tornados do come out of nowhere, even when they are unexpected. I wouldn't mess around with trying to get somewhere public (unless I was somewhere very unsafe like a trailer or outside) That's how people get killed. If you are in a basement you will probably not die from a tornado- even a major one. If you're in your car or outside and a tornado hits you you probably will die. I am claustrophobic as well - drills at school as a kid terrified me, but it's not worth risking your life over.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Going into any type shelter is an unplesant thing to have to do.Should you be the type to procrastinate or not pay attention then you might be the next victim.
Friends of mine in Greensburg waited about 20 minutes after the sirens went off and then decided they had better go to a basement. They went to the basement of his auto dealership. They were stuck(not trapped) in the basement for about 45 minutes until they dug theirselves out. Forty five minutes seems a long time unti you consider that it took awhile to just figure out where their home used to be.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
I am lucky that I have a basement although you can't get outside from the basement. I asked the local around if there was a storm shelter and no one heard of one. Hopefully I don't have to use one.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM

10 posts, read 31,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I tend to disagree. With the new Doppler weather radar we get very good info in a timely fashion. They don't issue a tornado warning until one is actually spotted on the ground. So that means the first guy and those in the immediate area don't get the warning, just a visual. ymmv.

This last spring when they had the tornado strike Greensburg Ks the residents had about 1/2 hr to get to shelter. Many mobile home courts have a community shelter. Those that don't; are on their own.

With tornado's you shouldn't be scared of them but you had better respect what they can do!

Doppler Indicated Tornadoes
When the National Weather Service has issued a Doppler indicated tornado warning it means that Doppler radar has indicated a tornado over that area. A Doppler radar indicated tornado has not necessarily touched down on the ground, but is instead rotation that has been detected in the clouds. For this reason when the national weather service sends out a tornado warning it is very important to take the proper precautions because a tornado is very likely to set down at any moment if it hasn't already."

Alot of times they rely on the spotters to call in tornados on the ground, hail size, etc. SKYWARN LISTS You can find your area skywarn.

"

Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 AM

Let me clarify. Yes they will give a doppler warning and you had better heed it! They will not sound the sirens until one is spotted on the ground.
Example: About two years ago we had a storm pass over.Doppler gave a warning for about four miles west of us. It was calm and still. Within five minutes we had gusts of about 80 mph. Trees and lawn furniture went flying to the west as the storm moved to the east. This was tornadic action althought they never sounded the sirens and never said one was on the ground.There were micro bursts in this as well.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 AM

This is wrong. If they have a doppler indicated tornado they will issue a tornado warning. If a tornado warning is issued the sirens in the affected county, as well as the one directly adjacent to it, will go off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri