U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,931,910 times

Advertisements

Where was the first place you visited in Missouri
What was your thoughts of that place?
Did you go before or after the forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 02:32 PM

880 posts, read 1,884,267 times
Default Not born here

First place I visited....My dad's down at Tablerock lake between Carr Lane and Golden MO.

First thoughts....beautiful country. Way different than the TV sterotypes of the "Ozarks".

Second thought: What..no shopping on Sunday!? (They had blue laws then).

WAY before the forum...or the internet for that matter. Oh lordy...aging myself here.

Based on that first visit we ended up moving to the St. Louis Area (Eureka) in the early 80's where my husband changed career direction and I went back to college.

Last edited by mrschilicook; 09-03-2007 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Needed to reference question

Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 PM

536 posts, read 44,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Second thought: What..no shopping on Sunday!? (They had blue laws then).

WAY before the forum...or the internet for that matter. Oh lordy...aging myself here.
LOLOLOLOLOL Oh yes, you are aging yourself!!!! Blue laws were definitely a long time ago. To tell the truth, I actually miss those days and wish they would come back with them con cerning shopping. Why? Because I think that everyone has the right to be able to spend time with their families on Sundays and it was not that hard to plan a shopping trip and all. I think it is terrible that people have to work the holdays and Sundays all so people can shop because so many aren't able to plan out their time better. Oh well, I am sure that I showed my age more there because I long for some of the good old days.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:10 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,974,993 times
Well, since many of the folk looking to buy their home and 'they' work all week, guess what? I make sure that I am available for them on Saturdays and/or Sundays. My family has known that this is my career and we have always had our time together. I don't mind 'working' on Sundays if it means that I am assisting someone to either buy or sell their home or property. No problem for me.

Many times I have shopped on a Sunday. Also, when I was a 911 dispatcher, I worked 12 hour shifts that included Sundays. As did the ambulance and law enforcement and volunteer fire department personnel But, we were off some days during the week and many times that was a plus.

Yes, some of the 'good old days' may be missed, but I don't think I would want to return to them. I kinda like this period of time.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 PM

9,593 posts, read 4,855,846 times
My GrandPa's farm in Broseley, Mo down by Polar Bluff... way before the internet...

Old 09-03-2007, 05:42 PM

526 posts, read 849,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Many times I have shopped on a Sunday. Also, when I was a 911 dispatcher, I worked 12 hour shifts that included Sundays. As did the ambulance and law enforcement and volunteer fire department personnel But, we were off some days during the week and many times that was a plus.
Yes, some of the 'good old days' may be missed, but I don't think I would want to return to them. I kinda like this period of time.
I was born in New Mexico and raised in California. Made my first trip to Missouri on our honeymoon. Went to Silver dollar City. That was wayyy back when the entrance was on the Hyw 76 side and the only ride was the train ride. Boy, talk about aging yourself !!
I really don't remember too much about what I thought back then.
and yea, it was a long long time before computers much less the forum and internet.
NV,
I know exactly what you mean about working the 12 hr shifts, holidays and weekends included. It sucks big time !!!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:28 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,498,997 times
Talking Springfield...

Springfield...and surrounding areas...in 1993.
Waaaayyy before internet.
I'll always remember landing in Springfield...the plane circling on approach and thinking...look at all that GREEN! And lakes...and ponds...and...why is it so GREEN? In July?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 PM

9,593 posts, read 4,855,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
why is it so GREEN? In July?
We were thinking the same thing last week.... Then after 5.25 inches of rain overnight we now know why......
Was the weather last week fairly normal?? CAuse it sure is hotter here than there right now.... 104f in Sacramento....

Old 09-03-2007, 07:37 PM

871 posts, read 1,335,756 times
Frt Leonardwood was my introduction to Mo. We arrived at night and my first thought were "those sounds are sooo coool" (katydids) We had lightning that lit up our barracks almost evernight and I was always the last one up because I wanted to enjoy it all I could. I loved it!!! The heat, the humidity, all of it. That was in "93". I had no internet then.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 PM

1,593 posts, read 2,400,985 times
Thumbs up Ahhh...memories!!!

Hmmm...my first visits were as a child and we visited the countryside north of Columbia. That was waaay before internet and I remember the lightening bugs and the outdoor bathroom at my aunt and uncle's house!!! Hahaha!

Once we decided to move here last year, we entered the state up by Kansas City and were amazed by the green hills and cleanliness of the highways. We were blown away by all the huge mowed lawns, too! As time went on, we were disappointed by the conditions of the highways but we loved the rock walls that pop up around Springfield and Branson. I couldn't get over the green trees and hills (April) and loved the winding roads and beautiful clouds in the skies! You wouldn't believe how many pictures I have of them! Can ya tell I'm still in love???

I think the first town we visited was Carthage and we fell in love! As a matter of fact, if we could have found something that worked for us, we would have bought there but it didn't work out. LOVE that town square and those beautiful old homes!!!

I used City-Data long before then but didn't know about the forum until a year later in June of this year! Of course, the rest is history...I'm hooked...on both Missouri AND the forum!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, 2b!!!

(Alas, it STILL says I've given out too many votes in 24 hours! I'll have to send ya another booster point in the morning!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri