Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times

Advertisements

I'm not even sure one could really call this winter. Most of the lower Midwest (Kansas, Missouri, most of Illinois, most of Indiana, most Ohio), has had way below average snowfall and far above average temperatures. I can't remember the last winter like this. According to wunderground.com, this has been one of the warmest winters in Missouri's history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I was happy to see the snow, sad to see it go. In my 31 year old memory, I cannot remember a time when the winter has been this mild, anyone else?
Nope. This is very mild. We don't always get a lot of accumulating snow every winter, but we always usually get a lot more snow than this. This year, we've hardly even gotten snowstorms, accumulating or not, and it's stayed above 32 pretty consistently, which is VERY warm for here. Sure, we might see a couple of days when it's very warm now and then, but it is cold much more often...those warm days have been the general rule this winter. So no, this is very out of character for us. It's almost as if our latitude has shifted 200-300 miles to the south.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Nope. This is very mild. We don't always get a lot of accumulating snow every winter, but we always usually get a lot more snow than this. This year, we've hardly even gotten snowstorms, accumulating or not, and it's stayed above 32 pretty consistently, which is VERY warm for here. Sure, we might see a couple of days when it's very warm now and then, but it is cold much more often...those warm days have been the general rule this winter. So no, this is very out of character for us. It's almost as if our latitude has shifted 200-300 miles to the south.
It has been above 32F most days this winter in the northern tier of the US as well... I would call this a coast to coast blowtorch winter with hardly any cold or snow, and nearly unprecedented warmth.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Agreed it definitely has been a mild winter. Here in Rolla I can only remember 2 or 3 nights this winter when the temperature got down into the single digits. It snowed 3 times and only once (the other day) had any accumulation whatsoever. I thought it was going to be a very cold winter with alot of snow since the first time it snowed was pretty early (November 3rd) but I guess I was wrong. I have enjoyed the mild winter however.

Oddly enough, judging by the map I saw, Cape Girardeau County has had pretty much the average amount of rainfall even though the winter has been very mild. More rain possible on Saturday morning as well.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It has been above 32F most days this winter in the northern tier of the US as well... I would call this a coast to coast blowtorch winter with hardly any cold or snow, and nearly unprecedented warmth.
When I mean staying above 32, I mean in St. Louis it has hardly even gotten below 32 at night. I would say it's more common to be above 32 here while the sun is up, although we usually have plenty of days as well where it's below 32. But the norm is that it usually is never warmer than the lower 40s. The days where temps get above that are few and far between, and usually brief. It's been the exact opposite this winter. Not only has there been little snow, but it's basically hardly ever gotten cold. And snowstorms have rarely struck us....all of that put together is bizarre. To me, most of this winter has felt like mid to late November or late March.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
It's almost 60 here in KC right now!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
I'm not even sure one could really call this winter. Most of the lower Midwest (Kansas, Missouri, most of Illinois, most of Indiana, most Ohio), has had way below average snowfall and far above average temperatures. I can't remember the last winter like this. According to wunderground.com, this has been one of the warmest winters in Missouri's history.
Much of the country didn't have winter as usual. It doesn't snow nearly as much down here, but we always have at least 2 days a year with snow accumulation. But that hasn't happened yet, and probably wont happen, sadly. We did get 3 dustings though, 2 were in the same week in November. Last winter we got 4 days with accumulation (that's the most of any year, as far as I can remember). How very different things are a year later.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Much of the country didn't have winter as usual. It doesn't snow nearly as much down here, but we always have at least 2 days a year with snow accumulation. But that hasn't happened yet, and probably wont happen, sadly. We did get 3 dustings though, 2 were in the same week in November. Last winter we got 4 days with accumulation (that's the most of any year, as far as I can remember). How very different things are a year later.
Oh I know...it's not just stl. As GraniteStater put it, this has been a blowtorch winter for the whole country. It is as if the whole country has shifted 200 miles to the south. i have several friends in minneapolis who, while they are incredibly pleased by it, shocked to be able to see the ground at this time of year.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Tell me about it. Last year was one of the worst winters i've ever experienced in STL..we got accumulating snow in mid-April..though I've been through several comparable ones before. Winters are very inconsistent here, but almost never mild on this level. Apparantly, I was told that the winters of 1982, 1978, and 1977 all made last year's 36 inches look like nothing.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Tell me about it. Last year was one of the worst winters i've ever experienced in STL..we got accumulating snow in mid-April..though I've been through several comparable ones before. Winters are very inconsistent here, but almost never mild on this level. Apparantly, I was told that the winters of 1982, 1978, and 1977 all made last year's 36 inches look like nothing.
How many snow days has St. Louis had this winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri