Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times

Advertisements

70 in both Rolla and Cape Girardeau today. I'm ready for summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Still have 3 more weeks of 'winter' to go but Tuesday is starting to look a little spring time dicey. Here is a map showing tornadoes starting February 24th in the US and ending with the monster that destroyed Joplin on May 22nd.

Map of the Tornadoes Across the South, Day by Day - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Lot of theories out there on why we witnessed such a deadly year in 2011, but if the one I think fits the facts the best holds true, 2012 shouldn't be nearly as bad ..... but we could still see an above average number of storms.

Then again, after last year, I would be happy to be proven dead wrong!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
The only thing tying St. Louis to Memphis these days, and this has been the case for a very long time, has been that both cities are on the Mississippi. Also blues and jazz, as well as barbeque in the cases of STL, KC, and Chicago were all born out of northward migration from Memphis and New Orleans. That's where the similarities between St. Louis and Memphis end. Since we've debated this before, yes, both cities are in the United States, so both don't feel "Foreign" as I once said. But the way of life, mannerisms of thep people, culture, by and large cuisine, and feel are both very different. St. Louis is a Midwestern city...Memphis is a southern one. Memphis didn't experience the decay and decline of heavy manufacturing that St. Louis did, nor the massive influx of Germans, Italians, and Bosnians that St. Louis and other Midwestern cities experienced. Memphis isn't nearly as big as St. Louis (metro area). And finally, Memphis is by and large Baptist, whereas St. Louis is largely Catholic. St. Louis also leans politically more to the left than Memphis. When I go there, I notice some similarities, but many more differences.
Didn't really mean to start a debate. I just remarked I like Memphis and it reminds me of St. Louis.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Default Storm Damage overnight

Branson and Buffalo schools are closed this morning due to power outages caused by unconfirmed tornado's. One reported fatality in Buffalo trailer park. 76 Highway in Branson (the Strip) closed due to damage. Branson Wal-Mart saw damage. Twenty some houses listed as totally destroyed. Major damage also in Southern Lebanon.

All hit after midnight.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 AM

140 posts, read 273,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Branson and Buffalo schools are closed this morning due to power outages caused by unconfirmed tornado's. One reported fatality in Buffalo trailer park. 76 Highway in Branson (the Strip) closed due to damage. Branson Wal-Mart saw damage. Twenty some houses listed as totally destroyed. Major damage also in Southern Lebanon.

All hit after midnight.
And both gas stations in Edgar Springs apparently damaged, at least one of them quite heavily. There's a picture of the Conoco on KY3's website, as well as other pictures of area damage. Not a very restful night around here last night!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 AM

971 posts, read 1,452,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethP View Post
And both gas stations in Edgar Springs apparently damaged, at least one of them quite heavily. There's a picture of the Conoco on KY3's website, as well as other pictures of area damage. Not a very restful night around here last night!
I live a little West if Branson, it was a little blowey here also.

There was some Spring's that had 23 of 25 rental trailers were demolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri