Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 PM

555 posts, read 2,205,487 times

Advertisements

Yup you got that right. I will miss them so much. I will be visiting for sure. One more question. How are the roads between I-55 and I-44. Is hwy 60 decent, or is it better take the interstate to St. Louis and come down I-44. There is no direct route west on an interstate. Are there mountains to cross over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM

492 posts, read 626,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
Yup you got that right. I will miss them so much. I will be visiting for sure. One more question. How are the roads between I-55 and I-44. Is hwy 60 decent, or is it better take the interstate to St. Louis and come down I-44. There is no direct route west on an interstate. Are there mountains to cross over?
No mountains, just a few hills and they are not bad. It has been a few years since I traveled Hwy 60 and it was a two lane and sometiimes slow because there were few places to pass. That is the way we always traveled, mostly because the traffic was light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_60#Missouri

Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Thanks 7gkids.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:45 AM

26 posts, read 48,063 times
Skating rink in Waynesville? It has got to be roller skating, not ice skating. I will tell you like it is there. The Ft. Leonard Wood area is at least 1.5 hours away from the closest spot that you would have any interest in, either Springfield or St. Louis. Rolla is a bit pitiful. Yes, there are the standard restaurants there, you will find any place else, along wih a few small strip malls. Yes, every town there has a Walmart. There are some good hiking and camping areas within an hour's drive, so if you are a nature fan, it is OK, assuming you can ignore some of the delapidated trailer homes, junk cars, and other trash along the way. Yes, there are some nice modest homes, but not a whole lot for sale. Unemployment is high there, (over 15% in most places), schools rank in the bottom quarter of the nation, it is bible belt country, so expect to get a full dose of gospel broadcasting over the radio every day. Since the area at Ft. Leonard Wood is a bit of a distance from what you may be accustomed to, you will need a car to get around, and lots of gas for long distance driving, meaning round trip drives that may exceed 300 miles. So, I hope you have an economical car to get around. Services? If your lucky, you may find some good servicemen to work on your home, appliances and car, but most likely, you will still have to do business in Springfield or St. Louis. If you are adventurous, then try it. But, are you sure you do not have other options to go to?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kye154 View Post
Skating rink in Waynesville? It has got to be roller skating, not ice skating. I will tell you like it is there. The Ft. Leonard Wood area is at least 1.5 hours away from the closest spot that you would have any interest in, either Springfield or St. Louis. Rolla is a bit pitiful. Yes, there are the standard restaurants there, you will find any place else, along wih a few small strip malls. Yes, every town there has a Walmart. There are some good hiking and camping areas within an hour's drive, so if you are a nature fan, it is OK, assuming you can ignore some of the delapidated trailer homes, junk cars, and other trash along the way. Yes, there are some nice modest homes, but not a whole lot for sale. Unemployment is high there, (over 15% in most places), schools rank in the bottom quarter of the nation, it is bible belt country, so expect to get a full dose of gospel broadcasting over the radio every day. Since the area at Ft. Leonard Wood is a bit of a distance from what you may be accustomed to, you will need a car to get around, and lots of gas for long distance driving, meaning round trip drives that may exceed 300 miles. So, I hope you have an economical car to get around. Services? If your lucky, you may find some good servicemen to work on your home, appliances and car, but most likely, you will still have to do business in Springfield or St. Louis. If you are adventurous, then try it. But, are you sure you do not have other options to go to?
I think they tore down the skating rink for a new water park. Not a whole lot of homes for sale?? LOL How long ago were you there? There are hundreds of home for sale in the area. It doesn't sound as if you enjoyed your stay there.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 AM

26 posts, read 48,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
I think they tore down the skating rink for a new water park. Not a whole lot of homes for sale?? LOL How long ago were you there? There are hundreds of home for sale in the area. It doesn't sound as if you enjoyed your stay there.
Most homes I have seen in that area are pretty spartan or outright shacks. And , for the poor quality and construction of those homes, I think some of the $100,000+ sticker prices are a rip-off. Like I said, there aren't many homes there worth buying. The rest of the area homes for sale are because of the high rate of foreclosures in the area, the large turnover of military personnel at Fort Leonard Wood, and the overpriced housing that no one else wants to buy.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 AM

When the military says move, you move. There is no other choice. How is Rolla? My SIL wants to live off post. Bible belt is no problem. We are Christian. It's only 2 years anyhow. An adventure perhaps? The family has 2 cars (paid for ) good gas mileage so no problem getting arouund.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Rolla is a nice small town There is a Wally world, Kohl's, Aldi's, Applebee's, some furniture stores and the best pizza in the world! Pryor's pizza is the best if you like thin crust! lol It is about a 30 minute drive to Ft. Wood on I-44.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 PM

St. Robert is the closest town and the city of Waynesville joins it. The drive to Rolla might get a little old. There are a lot of homes for rent in the local area. They might find something to rent here:

Fort Leonard Wood's Century 21 Prestige Real Estate, Inc

http://shopping.rollanet.org/index.php?a=19

Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM

140 posts, read 272,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kye154 View Post
...Unemployment is high there, (over 15% in most places), ...
Really? The stats I just looked at are at 10% or under for the last few years. I looked up Pulaski County, as well as Phelps and Laclede. Laclede was the highest, with it being 10.2% in January 2012, and 10.8% in February 2012. Phelps was the lowest, at 6.8% in January 2012, and 7.8% in February 2012.
Here's where I looked: LAUS and Missouri Labor | Unemployment Benefits by County

That's okay if you don't like this part of the state/country, but some of us do. It depends on the person. I'd go stark-raving-mad if I had to live in a city, but I'm perfectly content out here in the "sticks" of Rolla. I have all I need nearby, so I don't need to live in a city. Like I said, people are different -- some like the fast pace of a city, some prefer the slower pace of the rural areas. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri