U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 AM

65 posts, read 47,579 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

If someone has already asked this, I'm sorry. Living abroad for about 10 years now. Joplin, Missouri is one of four cities my wife and I are considering moving to when we return to the US this fall. Does anybody know the law(s) on domesticated baboons? What I really need to know is if I will be required to keep my baboon in my yard (I'm reluctant to build a containment facility which nine times out of ten a baboon can escape anyway) or if I can keep him in the house.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 AM

7,244 posts, read 5,150,031 times
No primates in Joplin.

Ordinances Regulating Private Possession of Exotic Animals

Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Default Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the speedy reply.

I was holding my breath there until I saw "non-human primates" on that list. I can't believe they've got those laws county by county, city by city. That's great. I think I may have gotten lucky though because my baboon is technically handicapped and therefore not really a threat according to the ASPCA's federal guidelines. He is a "non-human primate" but the ASPCA says that a wild animal's threat to a community is determined by its "capacity for" direct human injury and not by its "nature." In other words a defanged, declawed tiger (God forbid anyone would do this) does not constitute a threat. Just like a baboon without legs. My baboon can't really go anywhere. Except if he pulls himself. In either case, the worst he can do is scratch someone from a prone position, which is how likely?

I'm glad I can consider Joplin because I really like what I've seen.

Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb coup View Post
Hey, thanks for the speedy reply.

I was holding my breath there until I saw "non-human primates" on that list. I can't believe they've got those laws county by county, city by city. That's great. I think I may have gotten lucky though because my baboon is technically handicapped and therefore not really a threat according to the ASPCA's federal guidelines. He is a "non-human primate" but the ASPCA says that a wild animal's threat to a community is determined by its "capacity for" direct human injury and not by its "nature." In other words a defanged, declawed tiger (God forbid anyone would do this) does not constitute a threat. Just like a baboon without legs. My baboon can't really go anywhere. Except if he pulls himself. In either case, the worst he can do is scratch someone from a prone position, which is how likely?

I'm glad I can consider Joplin because I really like what I've seen.

Thanks again.
The way i read the ordinance is NO Baboons!

Ordinances Regulating Private Possession of Exotic Animals

SHALL INCLUDE but not be limited to dangerous exotic carnivores and bats, nonhuman primates,

Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM

Default Ok

I got that, thanks. I'm just saying that my "non-human primate" is clearly no threat to society according to the ASPCA (who will be arbitrating, right?), so I just think I'll try my luck and see. Laws are made to be tested, aren't they?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Nothing wrong with trying. I wouldn't hold my breath. In Kansas City a few years back a grown chimp got out and jumped on a police car and smashed the window. Bad press for you. As well as the chimp back east that tore woman's face off. Most likely this will me mentioned or considered at your hearing.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM

1,238 posts, read 3,003,610 times
Why would the ASPCA be arbitrating? It is a city law, and would go before the city council right? And no animals are being harmed, you would just be breaking the law. At the very least it would incur a fine, and possible removal of the animal or you would have to move. County laws are much more lenient, you might look for someplace outside the city limits. Knowingly doing something you know is against the law will just cause problems, hard feelings and expense.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM

I just want to say this. I don't under any circumstance want to get on the wrong side of the law for the sake of an old circus baboon. I may, on the other hand, consider living outside city jurisdiction, as was suggested. My only fear then is if I'm too close to the county line or if there's some fine print I miss and he crosses city limits. Like Versatile says, there have been some horrifying cases of non-human primate brutality. I can personally testify to this.

I may just have to euthanize him. I don't know. But thanks again, I do appreciate all the help.

Cheers.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:34 PM

1,238 posts, read 3,003,610 times
I'm curious-are you a circus performer? Is this baboon a long-time companion and are you bringing him from another country? I know there is a man in Jasper County that raised lemurs in his barn. He also had cougars. It doesn't sound as if your pet will be in much danger of escaping so as long as any necessary shots are up to date and you follow any county or state laws for keeping exotics, there should be no problem outside the city limits.
I had a great time last weekend playing with 3 young baboons at the Wild Wilderness Safari in Gentry Arkansas. They were crazy! Fun, but definitely not what I would want in my house. I don't think you could baboon-proof it enough-they would get into EVERYTHING! Really went for my husband's facial piercing!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 AM

26 posts, read 20,033 times
You can go to Pet monkey laws, regulations of primates, capuchin monkey United States laws, federal rules on primate ownership. I know the Missouri Conservation Commission has something on this, and be aware that Missouri requires Exotics Animals Registration with the County. The you may also have a problem with the State Health Board, as they were testing every monkey in the state during the days of the Ebola scare back in the 1980's. They may still require you to submit a periodic blood serum analysis of the baboon.

Your best bet though is go down to the local Indonesian precinct where you got the baboon and have it certified papers drawn up that it is your mother-in-law, then all you have to worry about are the I-130 immigration papers. (Afterall, who would want to fight with your mother-in-law)? Or, name the chimp George W. Bush, and you can easily get a Secret Service clearance to get your baboon in, without going through immigration. Hey, since most of the people in Joplin voted for him twice in 2000 and 20004, they might even have a welcome home parade for him when you bring him to town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri