Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 18,509 times

Advertisements

Hello friends ,

I have three questions; can somebody please help me to answer them?

My young family is planning on moving to Columbia or Jefferson City and we wondered three things:

First, can somebody please give me their impression regarding these two schools: Columbia College and Stephen's College? What is their standing and value considered to be in the community, especially due to presence of MU? Are they considered lesser schools and do graduates normally have lesser chance of finding a job than MU graduates?

Second, being an immigrant family (from Europe), but we are both young and very "Americanized," would we feel welcome in Columbia and/or Jefferson City? Would our let's say "different accents" make it difficult to find jobs or "fit in" (I am sorry to even ask this, but neither one of us is really familiar with Midwest or Missouri)?

Third, can somebody please point me to good neighborhoods to buy a home in both cities (I heard South or Southwest) and if possible PROVIDE SOME ZIP CODES?

By what I have seen and researched so far, I love both of these cities and they seem to be very cultural, beautiful, and open minded.

I would really appreciate anybody's help,

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 12:38 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
I would recommend just living in Columbia because there is just more to do there in Jefferson City and Columbia is also quite a bit larger from what I am aware of. Columbia is IMO one of the finest college towns in the Midwest, giving Bloomington, Indiana and Champaign-Urbana a very good run for their money. I would say that Missouri is overall a fairly accepting state in terms of ethnic diversity and toleration. Have you considered St. Louis by chance? I know for a fact we are very tolerant of immigrants in terms of jobs, or are you just not interested in moving to a big city, which is understandable...lots of people I know prefer the smaller towns. Missouri i have found is overall a pretty tolerant state as far as immigrants go.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:06 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miky2000 View Post
Hello friends ,

My young family is planning on moving to Columbia or Jefferson City and we wondered three things:

First, can somebody please give me their impression regarding these two schools: Columbia College and Stephen's College? What is their standing and value considered to be in the community, especially due to presence of MU? Are they considered lesser schools and do graduates normally have lesser chance of finding a job than MU graduates?

Second, being an immigrant family (from Europe), but we are both young and very "Americanized," would we feel welcome in Columbia and/or Jefferson City? Would our let's say "different accents" make it difficult to find jobs or "fit in" (I am sorry to even ask this, but neither one of us is really familiar with Midwest or Missouri)?

Third, can somebody please point me to good neighborhoods to buy a home in both cities (I heard South or Southwest) and if possible PROVIDE SOME ZIP CODES?

By what I have seen and researched so far, I love both of these cities and they seem to be very cultural, beautiful, and open minded.

Thank you so much!
I have lived in both cities for long periods of time. Columbia is a better match for you. Jeff City is very conservative and, in my opinion, not all that open-minded. Columbia is a great town with lots of culture and is very open. Immigrant families will be something "special" in Jeff City, whereas in Columbia there are so many foreign students that people won't give it a second thought.

Coumbia College is not as well regarded as MU, and takes pretty much anyone who applies. Stephen's is a historic private woman's college (that now take a few men) with a good reputation. Stephen's graduates are well regarded, though people wonder why their students would choose to pay such high tuition instead of going to MU. If you think grad school is in your future, go to MU or Stephen's.

The zip code that is probably the best in Colubmia is 65203. However, since Columbia is so small, that covers a huge part of the center and southwest area of the city, as well as a large rural area. It isn't like a major metropolitan area where you go a mile and you are in a new zip code. If you look on a map, the areas around the Country Club of Missouri and Rock Bridge Park are very nice. In Jeff City, there are only two zip codes: 65101 and 65109. The areas to the West of town are the nicest, but the new subdivisions on the Eastern outskirts are nice also.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miky2000 View Post
Hello friends ,

Thank you so much!
Wow you have lots on your plate!!
Good Luck on whatever you decide ...
I would pick Columbia I think its more culturally acceptable < does that make since? I think you will have more choices and a nicer college feel out of the selections. Once there you can always go check out other areas to decide on a home purchase.

Good Luck in your new adventure.

There is another board on here .. under Education .. you might get more imput on the 2 colleges there .. Lots of info!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,872 times
miky2000: you are on the right track..check the site below, you
are almost there from here

www.city-data.com/city/Columbia-Missouri.html

Columbia is a great town. Very diverse in many aspects. You can also do extensive research from some of the links on the aforementioned site. Wish you the best and keep us posted...

Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM

48 posts, read 139,774 times
Sounds like your family will be very happy in Columbia. Stephens is liberal arts, very highly respected for that type of college. You'll love it!

Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 18,509 times
Thank you all, I appreciate all the information and look forward to visiting Columbia!

Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 AM

791 posts, read 1,819,940 times
milky2000,

It is with great regret that I can offer no helpful information. Since moving to MO 3 mos ago, I've barely ventured far from Springfield. However, what I found especially helpful in my research, was doing a search of the threads to see what other's have discussed previously. So, I would recommend doing a search here on CDF for the cities & schools you're interested about, and see what comes up. (Some threads might have links to other helpful info.) In the meantime, hopefully more well informed people will come to your aid with the guidance you seek.

One thing I have found about Missouri in general, is, like the people on this forum.....they are very friendly people, always willing to lend a hand when they can. You may find the very small towns less 'welcoming', but I don't think it would have anything to do with your European roots.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck in your quest for information. And if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask....that's what we're here for.

Best Regards,
Boof

Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 PM

48 posts, read 139,774 times
BTW Milky-
Can't answer you on what neighborhoods to live, just depends on your price range! I would suggest just driving around and seeing what appeals! Just make sure you dont' do it on a Saturday of a home game-before or after the game, it will be really crazy! Have fun on your visit!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 15,295 times
Default Jefferson City

miky2000- on the outside chance you haven't moved to MO as yet, take it from someone who has lived in Jefferson City, Columbia and St. Louis and has travelled and spent months in Europe and now live in Florida. Most of these replies seem to be biased by people who assume YOU want to "do" the things they want to, which is typical of interstate highway American college-town life: drinking, drugs, and attending football games. The by-product of this is trash-littered gutters, rampant petty crime, transient homeless and the usual "ghetto" blight that tends to snuggle up to college campuses. You have to take into account that Columbia was a large flat agricultural farm town that in the 1960's was thrust into too much growth and sprawl with blue collar and service jobs, where there is a lack of law enforcement control over the local youth. There is a disproportionately high number of children who are limited to attending only public schools, where the teen drop out rate is higher than most towns this size. This is Columbia. Many people from Jefferson City attend MU and amore than a few commute to work there, but they mostly maintain permanent residence in JC.
On the other hand Jefferson City is a much older, established river town that has been accustomed to decades of immigrant people arriving by river steamboat, rail, and built commerce and diversity early with German, Irish, Italian, African roots, among others. (One of the oldest black universities in the nation, Lincoln University is located there) Columbia College has a campus there, if you are interested. The city has a legacy of long traditions, like youth oriented sports programs, an active local little theatre, large parks with top notch facilities and a balance of public and private schools that provide many choices for residents. One of the largest Catholic high schools in the state, Helias, has long attracted students from distant towns, including Columbia. Downtown Jefferson Cityscape is dominated by the state capitol building and numerous high and mid-rise buildings, shops and entertainment built on conservative careful planning. Yes, JC is smaller and sleepier than Columbia, but JC also is connected by interstate-quality roadway to beautiful Lake Ozark, where many Jefferson City residents own second homes and enjoy watersports. There are so many more qualities about both towns that I may have overlooked, but I would urge you to simply rent an apartment in one town, then the other. See which you prefer, then buy. In this economy there are probably many more homes foreclosures in Columbia and you could get some great deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri