Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
In post #2 in this thread someone suggested they get a job in Sikeston. I had heard that it is a rough place to live. Just a warning to the ones wanting to move and or work in the are.
Meh, no worse than the Bluff.
That being said, you couldnt pay me to live in either place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
In post #2 in this thread someone suggested they get a job in Sikeston. I had heard that it is a rough place to live. Just a warning to the ones wanting to move and or work in the area.
There are some nice parts of Sikeston and some rough parts of Sikeston, which is a pretty common theme in the Bootheel. Regardless, the OP is wanting to live outside of town anyway so Sikeston itself doesn't really matter. No businesses worth going to in the rougher part of town (Sunset)

Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 37,850 times
Thanks to you all for your input. We'll scope out the Cape area and forgo the Bluff and Sikeston areas.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborenal View Post
Thanks to you all for your input. We'll scope out the Cape area and forgo the Bluff and Sikeston areas.
Alright well if you have any questions feel free to ask! Good luck on your search.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 PM

9 posts, read 37,850 times
Well...as it turns out, it appears we are headed to Charlottesville, VA!!! Who woulda thunk it...

Old 06-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Well...as it turns out, it appears we are headed to Charlottesville, VA!!! Who woulda thunk it...
Well glad we could help you with your search. Good luck in Virginia.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:05 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
You will LOVE the Charlottesville, VA region. It is a great area. It has everything from in town living to rural living with quite a bit going on for its size.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,859 times
I am looking for a place to expand om currently from caruthersville and its horrible i am.black i dont bother anyone i jist want safety for me anx my family any suggestions and please be frank

Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormyb42 View Post
I am looking for a place to expand om currently from caruthersville and its horrible i am.black i dont bother anyone i jist want safety for me anx my family any suggestions and please be frank
Jonesboro is pretty nice and growing. Haven't spent enough time there to know about the crime but I would assume it is better than C'ville. Depending on what you can afford you could consider Cape but you need to stay north of William St. generally otherwise the crime will not be much better than what you are leaving.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 AM

260 posts, read 586,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Poplar Bluff is probably not so good, but you could check into it. Your best bet for getting a management job in the region would be Cape Girardeau, MO or Jonesboro, AR. Don't get me wrong Poplar Bluff is a nice enough town, but it isn't for everyone. You can do plenty of hunting and fishing around there though. Otter Slough and Duck Creek Conservation areas are within a short drive and both are absolutely unique in the state of Missouri. Exploring them will give you a feel for what the entire Bootheel looked like before it was drained and turned into farm ground.

There is a hospital in Poplar Bluff (Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center) and Sikeston (Missouri Delta Medical Center) which is about a 45 minute drive from Poplar Bluff. Cape Girardeau has two major hospitals and it is located about an hour and 15 minutes away.

Why did you find Iron County depressing? It has some of the best natural beauty in the entire state. I assume you are talking about the economic situation (correct me if I'm wrong). Honestly the entire Bootheel and surrounding areas in bordering states have taken a huge hit economically over the past two years.

Maybe elaborate more on the environment you are trying to avoid, but the economy is poor all over the Bootheel in my opinion with the exception of Cape Girardeau & Jackson.
While Poplar Bluff is in the South THB, would you consider it really rednecky as well? The way KSHE describes it, its full of rednecks and the such. I typed it in on google and got this, and some other businesses with Redneck name in them in SE MO. You don't see businesses called "Redneck" here in St. Louis

http://rednecksracksandreels.com/contact-us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri