Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 AM

13 posts, read 52,964 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm moving to Cape Girardeau in August and need lots of advice! What is the best apt complex? Where are the best places to eat? Is there a good and bad side of town? Give me any and all info! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 13,442 times
I live about an hour and a half away from Cape. I don't know about the apartments or which sides of town are best. But there are several good choices of restaurants to choose from. It's a college town so there are lots of bar & grills around. My favorite place to eat when we visit is Outback Steakhouse which is right off the interstate.
Friends of ours pastor the 1st Pentecostal church in Cape too and of course I would recommend visiting them.
Happy Moving.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 PM

13 posts, read 62,466 times
I live in Cape and would suggest living in the northern part. Are you going to be attending college here? There are several nice apartments off of Lexington. Let me know and I will get you names/phone #'s.
Yes there is a good side/bad side of town. In the past few weeks there have been several arson fires. Mostly in the same area. Again, I would stay north of campus.
Jackson is a nice town, just to the north of Cape, maybe 5 miles or so, probably a 15 minute commute to campus with traffic.
As far as restaurants, you have all the typical chains, Red, Olive, Apple, Outback, etc. One of our favs is Pagliai's (pronounced polly-i's), it's very close to campus, GREAT pizza!! There are several places downtown to eat also, okay food.
Shopping - of course you have Hell-Mart, Target, Kohl's, Sears. Also a nice mall with Macy's, Pennys & several stores inside.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone! Yes, I will be attending grad school at SEMO.

Also, how is the job market there? Are there good opportunities for those with a degree?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 PM

I'm really not sure about job opportunities. I would almost have to say not good. Cape is a large medical community, so if that's your field then your in luck, but if not, I would look else where. My husband lost his job here and we are moving to east-central Illinois when school gets out.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM

So I visited Cape this weekend and completely agree with you that the northern part of town is very nice. I am really excited to move to a new town and experience something new.

The only thing that disappoints me is the apartment situation. Any phone numbers and names you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I thought those apts off of Lexington looked the best of what I drove by. I must be spoiled down in Conway, AR with GREAT apartments. I was so surprised at how old the Cape ones are and how run down they appear. I toured several and just couldn't imagine living in any of them. Is it possible that I just missed the right streets?! I'm also so shocked at how expensive these old places are. I live in a brand new complex in AR and split the cost of just over $600 a month for a spacious two bedroom with my roommate. I also get free golf, tanning, and a HUGE gym included in my rent. Plus, it comes with a washer and dryer, not just hook-ups. I'm just really surprised.

Does anyone know of any nice houses that are for rent? I think that might end up being my best option.

I appreciate all of your help!

P.S. I stopped by Relay For Life while I was in town and was glad to see so many people involved. I'm a huge supporter of the event and enjoy contributing whenever I can. Way to go!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 PM

Rent is going to be very high... typical of a university town. They take advantage of the college students.
I checked todays paper, for houses for rent, you are looking anywhere from $850-950/month in the nice part of town.

Here are some apartments to call on:
Rhodes Properties 573-339-1300
Cape LaCroix 573-335-5535
Riverview Apts (these are downtown, sound nice) 573-275-2244

I've seen a few houses for rent, but they are not listed in the paper. I will drive by and get a phone number for you, also some apartments that I know of.

I will get back with you.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 PM

215 posts, read 712,781 times
I lived in Cape Girardeau from 1996 to 2001 and lived in several different places while there. If you want a place near campus, semomom is right about the prices being higher, especially closer to campus. I lived near campus every year and my favorite places were single family homes near campus. They had and old charm to them and were a lot more spacious. My favorite was either 631 North St. or 613 North St., I can't remember which one it was. It was on the corner of Sprigg and North.

If I was going to go back and go to school there, I would be looking for a single family house or a duplex in Jackson, as long as you don't mind the short commute. If you decide to live in Cape, stay on the North side of Williams St. as you get closer to the River.

Speaking of arson, I was looking at the SE Missourian paper online and noticed that the house I rented for one year on N. Frederick St. caught fire recently. Not sure if this was arson but it reminded me of living in Cape during my college years.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,112 times
Red face apt

the south side is noted for "bad" side of town, but that's where a lot of poor people live, and it's gotten run down in parts, but most of the people are very nice. there is prejudice here though, toward people of different races. the southeast missourian is the newspaper, and if you find their classified section, you will get a good idea. Lexington area is very expensive area, just fyi. i live
here and have off and on for years, starting back in 70's. my parents lived in marble hill. i go to semo, and have taken two years off. i am 62 yrs old.
there are lots of places to hangout, and get drunk. two different subjects that many college students do:} cape also has an internet sight.
sincerely,
liwooki100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri