Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
I moved to Columbia, Missouri from NC a little over a month ago. So far, I really like Columbia and the parts of Missouri I've seen. Columbia is much better than where I came from in NC. Frankly, I don't understand why so many people flock to NC (although having the beach and mountains is nice).

On my first day here, the cable guy came to install and we got to talking. He had a pretty negative attitude about Columbia and MO in general. He just couldn't understand why I'd move here from NC. The same day, a cashier picked up on my out-of-state DL and wondered why I'd move to Missouri of all places. Just like the cable guy, she had a strong dislike for Missouri.

Maybe the rest of the state is different, but Columbia, St. Louis, and KC all have tons of fun things to do, great restaurants, and lots of culture. Best of all, things are much cheaper here than in NC.

My only guess is that since these folks were born and raised in MO, they just hate it because they can never seem to get away. I guess I had the same feelings about NC...

Can any Missouri natives give some explanation?
Some people would complain if they were being hung with a new rope, I guess. Seriously, I know some younger people who wish they could pick up and move somewhere else. I understand that-- I had wanderlust when I was young and was fortunate to get work that sent me around the world. Most of the young adults in my family have stayed pretty close to home and are happy, but I was thrilled when one niece went to Thailand to teach English. The daughter of my coworker is studying how to be a museum curator in Manhattan and loves it. Different strokes, as they say.

Life's too short to live some place you don't like. There's a nice interstate highway going both ways out of Columbia if you don't like it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM

195 posts, read 420,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
I moved to Columbia, Missouri from NC a little over a month ago. So far, I really like Columbia and the parts of Missouri I've seen. Columbia is much better than where I came from in NC. Frankly, I don't understand why so many people flock to NC (although having the beach and mountains is nice).

On my first day here, the cable guy came to install and we got to talking. He had a pretty negative attitude about Columbia and MO in general. He just couldn't understand why I'd move here from NC. The same day, a cashier picked up on my out-of-state DL and wondered why I'd move to Missouri of all places. Just like the cable guy, she had a strong dislike for Missouri.

Maybe the rest of the state is different, but Columbia, St. Louis, and KC all have tons of fun things to do, great restaurants, and lots of culture. Best of all, things are much cheaper here than in NC.

My only guess is that since these folks were born and raised in MO, they just hate it because they can never seem to get away. I guess I had the same feelings about NC...

Can any Missouri natives give some explanation?
I was like that too when I lived in Missouri. (lived in MO my whole life) Then I moved to New Mexico 3 years ago (lived in 2 different cities while here). Although I am not sure if I would ever move back to Missouri or not, you do get a better appreciation for Missouri when you leave. Its kind of hard to explain, but right now I live in the most expensive city in NM. Gas is cheaper in Missouri. (however there was a time when missouri gas was more expensive than NM last year)
Groceries are cheaper in Missouri.
Housing/apts prices are cheaper in Missouri.
People are about the same or a little more friendlier in Missouri. (ie- i think customer service is better in Missouri because of the fact I don't live there anymore. When I lived there I thought the opposite)

My 2 cents.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM

249 posts, read 331,931 times
Probably has something to do with North Carolina having beaches....

Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM

492 posts, read 630,566 times
Missouri has beaches!! LOL We have a lotof lakes. I was swimming at one yesterday. Just beautiful!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
Missouri has beaches!! LOL We have a lotof lakes. I was swimming at one yesterday. Just beautiful!
A reservoir has nothing in common with a beach by the ocean. Well, Missouri has a lot of reservoirs compared to Kansas, though. All those JOCO people don't usually stay in Kansas for vacations.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 PM

492 posts, read 630,566 times
I LOVE the ocean!! We lived on St. Simmons Island for a while years ago. Just an absolutely beautiful spot. We also had the good fortune to visit Pismal Beach (off Hwy 1) in CA. WOW is all I can say!
I get to stay in beautiful Missouri and swim the "beaches" here. lol

Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 AM

50 posts, read 106,404 times
I moved here from Nebraska, and my only negatives on Missouri are personal property taxes, inspection fee's (only 12 dollars, but still.....), car insurance went up, RENT (Its very expensive for rent here in Cass county), and the outrageous cost of utilities. I know that sounds like a lot of complaints, but the cost of living in a much larger city then where I'm from is worth it when considering the conveniences I now have. People may complain about it here, but all in all, its a very beautiful state with lots to offer in terms of things to do and opportunities. A few things about Missouri that I love are the plentiful lakes, great fishing in them, VERY low costs of buying a vehicle (Craig's List is so amazing!), conveniences galore, small town feel in a larger city. I could go on negative and positive, but all in all it is my home and I love it here.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Inferno View Post
I was like that too when I lived in Missouri. (lived in MO my whole life) Then I moved to New Mexico 3 years ago (lived in 2 different cities while here). Although I am not sure if I would ever move back to Missouri or not, you do get a better appreciation for Missouri when you leave. Its kind of hard to explain, but right now I live in the most expensive city in NM. Gas is cheaper in Missouri. (however there was a time when missouri gas was more expensive than NM last year)
Groceries are cheaper in Missouri.
Housing/apts prices are cheaper in Missouri.
People are about the same or a little more friendlier in Missouri. (ie- i think customer service is better in Missouri because of the fact I don't live there anymore. When I lived there I thought the opposite)

My 2 cents.
I think it's difficult to compare two states on expenses...if you're living in the most expensive place in NM.

Taos or Santa Fe?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,431 times
IMO, there are two reasons why Missouri is hated on...first, because it's in what is considered by many to be flyover country, and second, because of the negative stereotypes of people from the Ozarks. Also, St. Louis' reputation for crime doesn't help either. Not that any of this is true...IMO, the Midwest (Missouri in particular) is one of the most misunderstood regions in the country behind the south.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
I LOVE the ocean!! We lived on St. Simmons Island for a while years ago. Just an absolutely beautiful spot. We also had the good fortune to visit Pismal Beach (off Hwy 1) in CA. WOW is all I can say!
I get to stay in beautiful Missouri and swim the "beaches" here. lol
I live 45 minutes from the beach and go maybe twice a year.
I'd rather float Current River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri