Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:40 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,207,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - i was on another thread about Springfield, MO, and a 24 year old was complaining about all the bible thumpers, now thats a place I wanna be! when some young person complains about that, it must be a good place for me.
Springfield, MO is conservative but does have some liberal areas due to a massive college prescene. I think you should live in the suburbs of springfield if you really want to be in a conserative area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,065,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think people, all over the country have a very misguided view of states like MO, AR and even KY, not to mention Kansas and Ok. For some reason they think these states are backwards, have to no intelligent human life, are notning but a bunch of bible thoumpers, and undeducated hill billies or country folk. The ones that do realize we have uban areas as well, think the cities are filled with nothing but crime and run down projects. Of course you will see that, you do in any unban area, no we do not have the same menatality as many living on either coast, but we offer natural beauty, a great mixture of urban and rural life, wonderful, friendly people and you can find almost everything you want if you look hard enough, including great sports, outdoor living, great food and yes, even some good wineries. Ok, you can't get good, fresh seafood, I admit.... .
Missouri and Kansas to my knowledge don't carry those perceptions nationally. More people just see these areas as flyover country like the rest of the Midwest. The Ozarks get that image, that's true, but the whole state? Not from my experience. And in any regards, it's false.

I've always thought most of rural America gets painted like this.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:56 AM

300 posts, read 345,714 times
I just moved to Rolla just this year and I am already enjoying it. Even though it is a small town of around 20k people, it isn't completely redneck because of Missouri S&T. There are plenty of college students from all over the state and country. I used to live in Wisconsin and even though I am not religious, I still like it here because the cost of living here is less than back home in so many ways. To get a cheap apartment in southeastern Wisconsin, I would have to pay as much as $500-600 to live in an apartment which is located in the ghetto and is very small. Utilities are affordable here. Back at home, cost of utilities goes through the roof during the winter season. I was able to pay twice as less for an apartment that doesn't have to be in a ghetto and its a decent size apartment. I also love the atmosphere of the town. Very quiet and peaceful. Getting your driver's license and your car registered is also cheaper. To get a license in Wisconsin, it is $35 vs $20. No, I don't have to pay property taxes on the vehicle because it was made pre-2002. Gas is cheaper here too and I understand there is the issue with global warming, but I can't afford to get an electric car or hybrid. Living in a small town, I need a car. I haven't seen gas under $3 in a long time until recently. Yes the weather here may not be as great as you would see in Florida or Arizona, but the winters seem less harsh than Wisconsin. I don't mind shoveling once in a great while, but having to shovel every week is a pain. The winters are a lot more extreme in Wisconsin (as in 35+ inches of snow a year depending how close you are to Lake Michigan due to the lake effect snow) than it is in Missori. In Wisconsin, warm temperatures in Spring and Fall season are almost non-existent. Spring is still considered Winter until mid to late May (by then, Spring would be almost over). In mid-late September, temperatures drop very quickly. Overall, the weather here is mild and that is the way I like it (I love the Spring and Fall season here). I also love seeing the variation of Missouri's geographical features, especially seeing the Ozarks and the mountains\hills of Southern Missouri. Reminds me of Asheville almost. Lastly, Missouri isn't overrated compared to other states, such as North Carolina. I was going to have to move to NC earlier this year because I was in a relationship with someone who lives there. Finding employment over there is a lot harder considering that way too many people migrate to the state, especially when a good majority of them didn't secure a job. If they did assume that they find a job after the move to NC, are they right? They are absolutely dead wrong. Not saying that Missouri is perfect, but I like it here.

Sorry if it is long. lol

Last edited by 94buickcentury; 12-18-2012 at 02:44 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM

54 posts, read 114,028 times
I love MO and have mainly lived in the urban area (KC metro area) since moving here.

As a minority (Asian), what surprised me was the disposition of the locals in very small towns I went to in the state eg Hannibal. They don't seem to know what to do with non-whites. I haven't had such experience in KC, St Louis, Omaha and other midwestern cities.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 PM

38 posts, read 40,056 times
I will say most of the nation minus other southern, and rural Midwest states think Missouri is filled with a bunch of hicks, racist, rednecks, and white trailer trash bible thumping. Again from paying attention to hollyweird, and comments from people outside of those areas and at my school, they think MO is a backwards state and like to poke fun at it. I don't see that with any other lower midwest state though except for Indiana sometimes, but even then don't see as many jokes cracked. I can see in a way because of our location and states history as a border state as well makes it differ from the midwest.

and Stlouisan I think the Ozarks, and southeast MO is what makes people label Missouri that.

it's the same way with Arkansas. People also call it inbred, redneck missing teeth hillbillies etc and mainly they point to the Ozarks location as well just like with MO.

Like after the 2008 election people were calling Missouri racist because McCain narrowly won the state despite Obama winning a lot of the swing states. Then governor Matt Blunt even came out to make a statement defending Missouri from the insulting comments about the state voting McCain because Obama is black.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM

[quote=BigMissouriFan;27403777]I will say most of the nation minus other southern, and rural Midwest states think Missouri is filled with a bunch of hicks, racist, rednecks, and white trailer trash bible thumping. Again from paying attention to hollyweird, and comments from people outside of those areas and at my school, they think MO is a backwards state and like to poke fun at it. I don't see that with any other lower midwest state though except for Indiana sometimes, but even then don't see as many jokes cracked. I can see in a way because of our location and states history as a border state as well makes it differ from the midwest. quote]

BigMissouriFan, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. Since we have no statistics to support either of our views on how the nation perceives us, it is relatively ridiculous to press our views onto others. I've heard many crack jokes about Indiana being labeled as racist...and why not? It was ruled by the KKK for a substantial portion of the first half of the twentieth century. And there are bible thumping people in the lower Midwest...in Missouri, Kansas, parts of Illinois, parts of Indiana, and parts of Ohio. And while it is true that Missouri has some differences that set it apart from the rest of the Midwest, it has just as many if not more similarities making it a part of the Midwest.

Last edited by stlouisan; 12-19-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 PM

[quote=stlouisan;27413436]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMissouriFan View Post
I will say most of the nation minus other southern, and rural Midwest states think Missouri is filled with a bunch of hicks, racist, rednecks, and white trailer trash bible thumping. Again from paying attention to hollyweird, and comments from people outside of those areas and at my school, they think MO is a backwards state and like to poke fun at it. I don't see that with any other lower midwest state though except for Indiana sometimes, but even then don't see as many jokes cracked. I can see in a way because of our location and states history as a border state as well makes it differ from the midwest. quote]

BigMissouriFan, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. Since we have no statistics to support either of our views on how the nation perceives us, it is relatively ridiculous to press our views onto others. I've heard many crack jokes about Indiana being labeled as racist...and why not? It was ruled by the KKK for a substantial portion of the first half of the twentieth century. And there are bible thumping people in the lower Midwest...in Missouri, Kansas, parts of Illinois, parts of Indiana, and parts of Ohio. And while it is true that Missouri has some differences that set it apart from the rest of the Midwest, it has just as many if not more similarities making it a part of the Midwest.
While that is true, parts of southern IL for example are in the bible belt, and transition zone too, but you have to say Missouri's portions are vastly larger than IL or KS bible belt, or southern transition areas.

I know about the KKK history in Indiana. It's ironic, but the KKK was popular in a number of non border or southern states. Even in the northwest there were large groups back in the 1920s when the KKK was at its peak nationally. The KKK is not just a southern thing. One reason is the great migration to those northern states in the early 20th century caused the KKK to be popular outside the south.

Places like Ripley county Missouri were a big Klan haven after the civil war like in the 1870s. So much so the governor of Missouri had the national guard go into Doniphan to run them out. Someone actually has a webpage about the Klan problems in far southeast MO back in the day. And no they were not racist as I could tell, just a webpage about the history of Ripley county and history of that area of southeast MO.

Had the link bookmarked on my old laptop but just found it on google.

KKK Article - Discontent

Quote:
The mid 1870s was a time of discontent for Ripley Co and I suppose most of the region in the post-Civil War era. There was a KKK faction in Ripley Co as well as in most other counties throughout southern Missouri. By 1876 they had gotten so out of hand that there was a murder committed by this bunch of malcontents, among other crimes, which are well documented. The state sent in the cavalry, so to speak, a man by the name of Caleb BINGHAM. Thanks to Ray Burson who wrote of the exploits of Caleb Bingham, we have a better picture of this incident. [Used here with his permission].

Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 PM

[quote=BigMissouriFan;27435057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post

While that is true, parts of southern IL for example are in the bible belt, and transition zone too, but you have to say Missouri's portions are vastly larger than IL or KS bible belt, or southern transition areas.

I know about the KKK history in Indiana. It's ironic, but the KKK was popular in a number of non border or southern states. Even in the northwest there were large groups back in the 1920s when the KKK was at its peak nationally. The KKK is not just a southern thing. One reason is the great migration to those northern states in the early 20th century caused the KKK to be popular outside the south.

Places like Ripley county Missouri were a big Klan haven after the civil war like in the 1870s. So much so the governor of Missouri had the national guard go into Doniphan to run them out. Someone actually has a webpage about the Klan problems in far southeast MO back in the day. And no they were not racist as I could tell, just a webpage about the history of Ripley county and history of that area of southeast MO.

Had the link bookmarked on my old laptop but just found it on google.

KKK Article - Discontent
Fine, but Indiana is the only state in the Midwest to date to have a Klan governor and a large statewide KKK following. Your explanations of the PAcific NW just fall short as a comparison, because no states had as big a mass following. I don't understand why you even bother to try to explain that one away. The Pacific NW is far away from Indiana, and not relevant to the discussion. Missouri only had COUNTIES that were Klan havens, not entire mass organizations throughout the whole state like Indiana. You are attempting to dismiss an anomaly that cannot be dismissed. No other state in the Midwest had a Klan faction anywhere near the size of Indiana's. In addition, no state in the Midwest outside of the Great Plains staes has been as solidly red as Indiana over the past half century. Indiana has voted Democrat in the presidential election only once since 1964. Not even Missouri can match that kind of red.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:41 PM

[quote=stlouisan;27447344]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMissouriFan View Post

Fine, but Indiana is the only state in the Midwest to date to have a Klan governor and a large statewide KKK following. Your explanations of the PAcific NW just fall short as a comparison, because no states had as big a mass following. I don't understand why you even bother to try to explain that one away. The Pacific NW is far away from Indiana, and not relevant to the discussion. Missouri only had COUNTIES that were Klan havens, not entire mass organizations throughout the whole state like Indiana. You are attempting to dismiss an anomaly that cannot be dismissed. No other state in the Midwest had a Klan faction anywhere near the size of Indiana's. In addition, no state in the Midwest outside of the Great Plains staes has been as solidly red as Indiana over the past half century. Indiana has voted Democrat in the presidential election only once since 1964. Not even Missouri can match that kind of red.
St. Joesph, Missouri area was once a big Klan area and they had influence in their politics at one time. I also know in Springfield a long time ago the Klan helped by giving funds to help build a hospital. I'll try and more info on that sometime.

Indiana is interesting, they just happend to get lucky and got one of their men into power. Even in the south the Klan never really hijacked the governors mansions. Even in Mississippi their governors tried to distance themselves from the Klan and not appear to be associated with them even though they were segregatonist.

That's why in MS they had the "Citizens council" basically it was more wealthy, business oriented club of more professionals who wanted to keep segregation, but not to appear to be beer belly, white trash extreamist like the Klan appeared. Read up about governor Ross Barnett and MS if you want to learn more about the White Citizens council. It's still around, and actually the spinoff of it CCC is based out of St. Louis.

Present day, the Klan is nowhere near as powerful though. It seems now they're mostly in the Ozarks area here, especially the Southeastern part of the state around Ironton, Parkhills at least when they show them on TV. There is also rumors about some of the small town police in the bootheel belong to the Klan. You might remember the black lady arrested in walmart down there, and then they accused some of the police officers for being in the Klan and handing out Klan cards.

I call BS on there. I dont think those police in the bootheel are in any Klan. Now 1960, yea I could see some in the bootheel being members, but this is 2012.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:04 AM

[quote=BigMissouriFan;27448164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post

St. Joesph, Missouri area was once a big Klan area and they had influence in their politics at one time. I also know in Springfield a long time ago the Klan helped by giving funds to help build a hospital. I'll try and more info on that sometime.

Indiana is interesting, they just happend to get lucky and got one of their men into power. Even in the south the Klan never really hijacked the governors mansions. Even in Mississippi their governors tried to distance themselves from the Klan and not appear to be associated with them even though they were segregatonist.

That's why in MS they had the "Citizens council" basically it was more wealthy, business oriented club of more professionals who wanted to keep segregation, but not to appear to be beer belly, white trash extreamist like the Klan appeared. Read up about governor Ross Barnett and MS if you want to learn more about the White Citizens council. It's still around, and actually the spinoff of it CCC is based out of St. Louis.

Present day, the Klan is nowhere near as powerful though. It seems now they're mostly in the Ozarks area here, especially the Southeastern part of the state around Ironton, Parkhills at least when they show them on TV. There is also rumors about some of the small town police in the bootheel belong to the Klan. You might remember the black lady arrested in walmart down there, and then they accused some of the police officers for being in the Klan and handing out Klan cards.

I call BS on there. I dont think those police in the bootheel are in any Klan. Now 1960, yea I could see some in the bootheel being members, but this is 2012.
You seem to be on a mission to minimize Indiana's uniqueness, and you're not doing a very good job of it. St. Joseph and Springfield weren't ruled by the Klan. Neither was St. Louis. The KKK was not very strong at all in the majority of the state. Not like places in Indiana. And it's good to see you finally admitted Indiana's unique case. As far as Mississippi and Alabama are concerned, it's pretty clear that many of their governors, if they didn't openly support the Klan, had the Klan's blessing. Again, Indiana is by far and away a unique case in the Midwest when it comes to the power the Klan held in that state. The Klan had support throughout the entire state, even in the northern part of it. And the KKK actually ran the government and the state for years. Missouri didn't have this happening, nor did any other state except in the Southern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri