U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,061 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are relocating to Columbia, MO at the end of July. I will be working at MU (north campus), and he will be working out of an office downtown. How difficult is it going to be to find housing within walking/biking distance (ideally no more than 2 miles) to campus this close to the fall semester?

Any suggestions for where we might look? We would prefer to rent house or duplex, but if anyone has the names of some apartment complexes (with more graduate students/professionals than undergrads), that would be helpful too. We're looking for a 2 BR under $800.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,220,477 times
If you want to be close to downtown/campus, at your budget, I'd look into some of the property management companies -- they tend to run many of the smaller and older buildings/complexes that are centrally located. We used A&B when we lived there in 2006-2007 and they were ... sufficient. They generally fixed stuff when we needed them to, and they left us alone, which are really my only two requirements when I rent. Apartmentfinder.com has several prperty management companies listed.

You also might have luck finding a small house near Columbia College north of downtown.

Definitely check out Craigslist -- a quick perusal showed several options that might work for you. Like these:
Lovely east downtown remodel
Beautiful Apartment near downtown just off the bike boulevard
2 bed-1 bath house close to campuses and downtown-Newly Renovated!
West downtown, close to public library
Charming 2 Bdrm Home in Central Historic Walk to Downtown + Campus

Best of luck and be sure to ask more questions as you have them!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 AM

99 posts, read 143,236 times
It is really easy to find apartments in Columbia. I actually found an apartment online before I moved here. Also, Columbia has pretty cheap rent, so you should be easily under $800 for a 2br.

Deer Valley apartments are really nice and I believe the rent for a 2br runs around $650. They don't allow anyone under 21, so there will be no noisy undergrads there. However, I believe they are about 3 miles from campus.

Deer Valley Apartments

You might also want to check out Mills properties. They own several complexes in Columbia which are all affordable. However, most of their complexes seem to be about 3 miles from campus also.

Mills Apartments | Apartments in St. Louis, Columbia and Edwardsville

There are several complexes downtown, but the rent will be higher and also they will cater to students.

Lastly, http://www.padmapper.com/ is an awesome website for finding apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri