Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 04:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michandmiked View Post
The home prices are good, the schools are rated well and we are looking for a better place to raise the kids. We just wanted to hear from people like you on the real life, not just the statistics that I have read.THANKS
The overall pace of life would be very slow if you are coming from NJ. The people in the rural towns can be a bit reserved until they get to know you a little better. Overall, I have found people in the smaller towns to be fairly friendly compared to bigger cities. Chillicothe is not to far away from Kirksville, and a little further drive to the Kansas City metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 04:47 PM

18 posts, read 46,445 times
i personally like chillicothe although the town doesn't offer all ammenities that some would like it is a nice town with plenty of resturants a new lowes store and a brand new wal-mart supercenter it offers all the nessecities that a person would need.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:49 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Default Let's not bore the OP with statistics.

Quote:
The home prices are good, the schools are rated well and we are looking for a better place to raise the kids. We just wanted to hear from people like you on the real life, not just the statistics that I have read.THANKS
I'm glad I was able to provide some personable info to you instead of statistics. It's a nice town and a good place to raise kids. Good luck in your search for a change in pace!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:57 PM

116 posts, read 445,067 times
Well slow is great. I live in Philly Pa and fast we are so use to doing. Bring on slow and 45 minute to 1 hour drives to work are the norm for most of us east coast peeps. Oh yeah bring on the slow, backward rural outdoor plumbing life. Ok um forget the last part about outdoor plumbling roflmao I need a phone close by Muaaahhhhaaaaa. In all seriousness list to the people who respond to your questions the people on this site are the best and do as they say visit each place because what is paradise to one person can be hell to another. I actually plan on heading out to missouri for about 4-5 days and checking out areas personally you will do yourself an injustice if you dont. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:22 PM

I have been to Chillicothe. It is a growing town economically, and most of the people are very friendly. I was just alerting the OP that any rural town will be a drastic culture shock if they are moving from New Jersey. NJ is the most urban state in the US. Overall, I found the people of the town to be reserved and friendly. I find economic statistics to be very important, and a good indication of how a particular town and county are doing. I can not comment on the school aspect. Maybe another poster could share some information about that.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
Well slow is great. I live in Philly Pa and fast we are so use to doing. Bring on slow and 45 minute to 1 hour drives to work are the norm for most of us east coast peeps. Oh yeah bring on the slow, backward rural outdoor plumbing life. Ok um forget the last part about outdoor plumbling roflmao I need a phone close by Muaaahhhhaaaaa. In all seriousness list to the people who respond to your questions the people on this site are the best and do as they say visit each place because what is paradise to one person can be hell to another. I actually plan on heading out to missouri for about 4-5 days and checking out areas personally you will do yourself an injustice if you dont. Good luck with your search.
You have the right ideas! I know many people who have moved to the Midwest from the East Coast. Some of the reasons they cite as positives are the slower pace, many friendly people, lower housing costs, lower taxes, less congestion, and more open spaces to enjoy.
Outhouses are reserved for northern Wisconsin. The rest stops along the sides of the road are called waysides, and they are out in the middle of the woods.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
We are looking to move to Chillicothe from NJ. What is like? The People? The land? The Schools? I am very concerned about flooding, are we safe there? We have two children and also want to know about MO College programs...Please help us! Thanks~
If I may ask are you coming from a large metro area in NJ or a smaller community? MO has many larger and smaller cities to choose from as well as college towns. MO has many universities. MU is located in Columbia which is in the center of the state. Missouri State University is located in Springfield, which is in the SW part of the state. Truman State University is located in Kirksville which is northeast of Chillicothe. Central Missouri State University is in Warrensburg. MU is a big school and has MANY programs to choose from. It is also one of the most diverse smaller cities in the state of Missouri.

The land is flat with some hills in the north with much more forest land in the southern part of the state. The climate has four seasons, but the winters are much warmer compared with many years ago.

I would not be concerned about flooding. Just make sure that when you buy a property that it is not listed as being in the floodplain. Most towns do not have housing in floodplain areas for the most part.

Make sure you visit MO soon, and best of luck!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:29 PM

116 posts, read 445,067 times
Hehe great post Plains I am still laughing

Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,646 times
Default chillicothe

Is a nice midwest small town nice park ggod schools 11/2 hr from Kansas City of Columbia.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
If I may ask are you coming from a large metro area in NJ or a smaller community? MO has many larger and smaller cities to choose from as well as college towns. MO has many universities. MU is located in Columbia which is in the center of the state. Missouri State University is located in Springfield, which is in the SW part of the state. Truman State University is located in Kirksville which is northeast of Chillicothe. Central Missouri State University is in Warrensburg. MU is a big school and has MANY programs to choose from. It is also one of the most diverse smaller cities in the state of Missouri.

Make sure you visit MO soon, and best of luck!
There's also Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph, located about an hour or so west of Chillicothe, and an easy drive along U.S. Highway 36. Park University in Parkville and William Jewell College in Liberty are among a number of universities in the Kansas City metro area.

MoNative, sorry for being a bit late getting back here; a high school friend of mine flew out here to CA and we spent a few days hiking and visiting a few wineries up in southern Oregon (now I've got to get back to work and keep pressing on to get moved back to St. Joseph!). To the OP, I would have to mainly defer to Plains10 and other posters more familiar with Chillicothe. I drove through it on my way from St. Joseph to Hannibal and it looks like it's in an attractive, if somewhat remote setting. I didn't get off the highway, so all I could mainly see were some fast food restaurants as I cruised by. It would seem unlikely that you could become a tycoon working in Chillicothe, but I think you would experience a culture shock in a good way by relocating there from New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri