Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:56 AM

11 posts, read 60,811 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Chillicothe from NJ. What is like? The People? The land? The Schools? I am very concerned about flooding, are we safe there? We have two children and also want to know about MO College programs...Please help us! Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 08:54 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
Ive never been but my brother in law moved there ....they live 20 miles from everything (according to them)....

From what I gathered there is not much of anything there .....

why are you moving there?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:59 AM

11 posts, read 60,811 times
The home prices are good, the schools are rated well and we are looking for a better place to raise the kids. We just wanted to hear from people like you on the real life, not just the statistics that I have read.THANKS

Old 09-29-2007, 09:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,338 times
Well my brother in law got a job at a hog refinery ----------- (when he would call - usually asking for money) he would say the bank is to far ... there is no restaurants there is no walmart ... I don't know what he said was real or not ..like I said he usually called to bum off of us or another family member

Old 09-29-2007, 09:14 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Ive never been but my brother in law moved there ....they live 20 miles from everything (according to them)....

From what I gathered there is not much of anything there .....

why are you moving there?
I disagree. In the past 5 or so years, Chillitcothe has seen job and residential growth similar to Cameron. The east side of town has a new industrial park and the retail area around HWY 36 and 65 has added a Lowe's Home Improvement store, hotels and other various businesses. The population is also on the upswing. As far as flooding, the roadbed on HWY 36 just west of town has been raised high above the floodplain and a new bridge crossing the Grand River has been built.

Northbayeric, you drove through during your MO trip... What are your thoughts?

Old 09-29-2007, 12:14 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
If you are coming from NJ it will likely be a large culture shock. Home prices in rural areas are usually cheap for a reason. Economic growth has not been very good for most areas of northern Missouri so home prices are fairly depressed. I would highly suggest that you visit the town and the surrounding area to see if you like it or not. Another thing to be aware of is that their are CAFO's in rural areas of northern Missouri similar to what you would find in upstate New York. Chillicothe and Livingston County is doing MUCH better economically than Grundy County to the north.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I disagree. In the past 5 or so years, Chillitcothe has seen job and residential growth similar to Cameron. The east side of town has a new industrial park and the retail area around HWY 36 and 65 has added a Lowe's Home Improvement store, hotels and other various businesses. The population is also on the upswing. As far as flooding, the roadbed on HWY 36 just west of town has been raised high above the floodplain and a new bridge crossing the Grand River has been built.

Northbayeric, you drove through during your MO trip... What are your thoughts?
DeKalb County and Andrew County have both lost over 20% of there non-farm jobs in the last 5 years according to the Census Bureau.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:37 PM

Here is some good information for those planning to move to rural northern Missouri.
http://www.factoryfarm.org/us/mo/Map_MO_CAFOs.pdf (broken link)
Permitting Animal Operations in Missouri

Old 09-29-2007, 02:52 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Moving to rural northern Missouri is the best plan I ever had and the best move I ever made..... I've seen towns prosper, educational institutions expand, roadways improve and land nearly double in value and I've been here only 8 years to witness all of the above.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Moving to rural northern Missouri is the best plan I ever had and the best move I ever made..... I've seen towns prosper, educational institutions expand, roadways improve and land nearly double in value and I've been here only 8 years to witness all of the above.
What counties in particular are you referencing? True, the roadways have improved and some towns are prospering compared with 5-10 years ago, but many of the more rural counties have been left behind. Many counties in northern Missouri have lost significant numbers of non-farm jobs betweeen 2000-2005. I can give you the data, but many of the numbers from some of the more rural counties are quite dismal. Four counties in northern Missouri have lost over 30% of there non-farm employment between 2000-2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri