U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM

7,034 posts, read 4,844,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
If the US founders wanted a theocracy, they would have specified it. They separated church from state to ensure govt be run by reason rather than this dominionist....

Akin’s congressional legacy small, but his support among Christian groups is big - The Washington Post

Try this.

Lake View: Do we want an American Theocracy? - Camdenton, MO - Serving Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks region including Osage Beach, Camdenton, Lake Ozark, Eldon and Sunrise Beach

A recent "Letter to the Editor" in the WestSide Star stated that the words "One Nation Under God" are in the U.S. Constitution. This is not true, it is in the Pledge of Allegiance. It was added to the Pledge in 1954, the U.S. Constitution does not mention the word "God."
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,170,761 times
Quote:

Good....

This arrogant blowhard did not do the right thing, and now he is going to have his @ss handed to him.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM

2,503 posts, read 1,443,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Try this.

Lake View: Do we want an American Theocracy? - Camdenton, MO - Serving Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks region including Osage Beach, Camdenton, Lake Ozark, Eldon and Sunrise Beach

A recent "Letter to the Editor" in the WestSide Star stated that the words "One Nation Under God" are in the U.S. Constitution. This is not true, it is in the Pledge of Allegiance. It was added to the Pledge in 1954, the U.S. Constitution does not mention the word "God."
I'm glad we are placing emphasis on the text of the US Constitution. By the same token, the First Amendment simply states the following regarding religion:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Even after this simple and straightforward text has been stretched almost beyond recognition over the years to suit various political purposes, based originally on a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote in 1802, it still does not preclude voters or even elected officials from speaking or voting in keeping with their religious beliefs, whether you or I agree or disagree with those beliefs.

We are hardly a theocracy today just because many people voice and vote their conscience, although we might have looked very much like one in our founding years.

Last edited by MUTGR; 08-23-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,170,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm glad we are placing emphasis on the text of the US Constitution. By the same token, the First Amendment simply states the following regarding religion:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Even after this simple and straightforward text has been stretched almost beyond recognition over the years to suit various political purposes, based originaly on a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote in 1802, it still does not preclude voters or even elected officials from speaking or voting in keeping with their religious beliefs, whether you or I agree or disagree with those beliefs.

We are hardly a theocracy today just because many people voice and vote their conscience, although we might have looked very much like one in our founding years.
Sometimes I think MUTGR, cynically at times, that some individuals only have a problem with fundamentalistic Christianity, however, the same crowd becomes silent when it comes to Jewish fundamentalism (i.e. Chabad-Lubavitch or orthodox in general) or Islamic fundamentalism.

Personally, as an agonostic/atheistic person, I have no problem with people practicing their religious faiths in their places of worship or at home. However, I think the tax exempt status should be lifted as well. If you want a say in public policy, then you should pay up your admission price like everyone else.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM

7,034 posts, read 4,844,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Sometimes I think MUTGR, cynically at times, that some individuals only have a problem with fundamentalistic Christianity, however, the same crowd becomes silent when it comes to Jewish fundamentalism (i.e. Chabad-Lubavitch or orthodox in general) or Islamic fundamentalism.

Personally, as an agonostic/atheistic person, I have no problem with people practicing their religious faiths in their places of worship or at home. However, I think the tax exempt status should be lifted as well. If you want a say in public policy, then you should pay up your admission price like everyone else.
I totally agree.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 AM

709 posts, read 956,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving46 View Post
republicans arent the only ones that are wackos, look at obamas democrats. I dont trust them.
It amazes me that people would vote for him. all hes doing is taking your freedom away.

Would you mind being a little more specific? Examples would be welcome. How is he 'taking away your freedom'?

all the dmocrats want to do is keep people dependent on govt. big government doesnt work for me

What part of 'big government' does not work for you? The Big Government that gives away farm subsidies, supports a massive military industrial complex, oversees Social Security and Medicare, provides for our roads, oversees production of our food, ensures the safety of our airways, supports research for diseases like cancer and has a space program? THAT big government? Apart from cutting the military budget, what would you like to see eliminated? Medicare? 'Cause that's what Paul Ryan wants to toy with; none of that other stuff.
What part of 'big government' does not work for you? The Big Government that gives away farm subsidies, supports a massive military industrial complex, oversees Social Security and Medicare, provides for our roads, oversees production of our food, ensures the safety of our airways, supports research for diseases like cancer and has a space program? THAT big government? Apart from cutting the military budget, what would you like to see eliminated? Medicare? 'Cause that's what Paul Ryan wants to toy with; none of that other stuff.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,665,297 times
Quote:
^Ditto. And it's time for the MO moderates to wake up and push the theocrats out. I imagine this embarrassment to MO will change the political landscape. Don't be surprised if Obama carries MO too. In 2008, McCain technically didn't win MO majority. McCain got 49.4% and Obama got 49.3%, only a 0.1% difference. If Obama focused on the economy instead of Obamacare he'd probably more easily win MO. As a moderate who couldn't vote for either last election, I'll be voting for Obama this time. I imagine many other MO moderates will too.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
massive military industrial complex,
The US spends way too much on military power. We have about 700-800 bases outside the US in 60 something countries out of about 190. We could cut military spending in half and still effectively defend the US. The military spending is about offense and manipulating the rest of the world to meet our demands. The Roman Empire had control of 1/3 of the global population at the time and we have military presence (and impose with subtle to not-so-subtle manipulation) in about 1/3 of the planet.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Medicare? 'Cause that's what Paul Ryan wants to toy with; none of that other stuff.
Politicians and Congress on both sides are taking the wrong approach to address medical costs and paying for part of it at the user end or regulating the industry. The Feds need to consider pushing the open source approach to medicine/healthcare that is used with technology.

DARPA sponsored and encouraged the development of what eventually became TCP/IP, which eventually became the Internet. What's important is that it's open source... no patents, no license fees and a totally open spec free for anyone to use.

The Feds need to sponsor drug research in this way. Drug makers charge for all the trials that result in maybe only 1 in 10 drugs making it through. The chargeback for the 1 drug has to pay for research of all 10. The Feds would be better off paying for the other 9 failed trials than helping pay for the end user cost of the drug and regulating the insurance industry. It simplifies things significantly. Or for independent research, the Feds would be better off buying off the patent and make it license free for any US drug maker to manufacture the drug and/or maybe license it to drug makers outside the US. The end user gets cheap drugs and the drug researchers get their return. I'm sure it would bring it's own share of challenges but the bottom line is the Feds should simplify the source rather than try to deal with supplementing end users and regulating the entire industry from top to bottom.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM

2,503 posts, read 1,443,075 times
Quote:
It looks like so far he's not backing out as of Noon today...

Defiant Akin says he's staying in race - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

I would hope reasonable GOP'ers who don't want to vote for McCaskill do a non-vote rather than vote for someone who doesn't understand how the reproductive system works. Misspoken or not, he demonstrated he doesn't understand basic biology.

Missourians should be embarrased about Akin. We need to keep Claire to prove how smart and sophisticated we are. Besides, I'm sure Claire and her husband could benefit from more federal dollars. Another term at the federal trough for Air Claire and Shepard. Whew, and to think she was toast, but for some dumb *$$ comment by Akin:

http://www.truthaboutclaire.com/2012...stimulus-bill/

McCaskill Married Shepard On April 27, 2002. (“McCaskill Vows Further Reforms,” Columbia Daily Tribune, 2/11/02)
McCaskill Said She And Shepard “Share Everything,” Including Assets. “‘My husband and I are a team,’ [Claire McCaskill] said. ‘We are married, and we share everything — assets, children and a house. The money I’ve loaned to my campaign is my money. My family is supportive of my efforts. Some have implied that the assets of my family don’t belong to me. That notion is pretty archaic.’” (Terry Ganey, “McCaskill Campaigns Hard, Stresses Her Qualifications for State’s Top Job,” St. Louis Post Dispatch, 7/18/04)
McCaskill Was “One Of The Architects” Of The Senate Stimulus Compromise Bill. “The debate over the economic stimulus bill moved from the Capitol to the talk shows once again on Sunday as Democrats and Republicans held their rhetorical lines and illustrated the continued partisan deadlock that the White House may have to break this week. … Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), one of the architects of the $827 billion Senate compromise, said several of the programs Senators stripped were better fit for an omnibus appropriations bill.” (Jackie Kucinich, “Lawmakers Continue To Dig In On Stimulus,” CongressNow, 2/8/09)
McCaskill Voted To Approve The Stimulus Bill, Which Included An Estimated $1.17 Trillion In Spending Increases And Raised The Federal Deficit To $12.104 Trillion. (H.R. 1, CQ Vote #64: Adopted 60-38: R 3-38; D 55-0; I 2-0, 2/13/09, McCaskill Voted Yea)
$1.17 Trillion: Total Cost Of Obama’s Stimulus With Interest. (http://cbo.gov, 8/24/11, www.cbo.gov, 1/27/09)
The $1.17 Trillion Stimulus Bill Directed Nearly $1 Million To Projects Associated With Her Husband:

Shepard Has Served As President Of Milan Manor Development, Which Received $403,200 From The Stimulus Bill:
  • According To McCaskill’s PFD From 2005 To 2010, Shepard Had Assets In Milan Manor Associates. (Sen. Claire McCaskill’s Personal Financial Disclosures For Year 2005-2010, Center For Responsive Politics Website, www.opensecrets.org, Accessed 2/21/12)
  • According To USASpending.gov, Milan Manor Was Awarded $403,200 From Stimulus Funds In March 2009:
Federal Award ID: IL060044017-09Z
Recipient: MILAN MANOR APTS, 2000 W 4TH ST, Milan
Program Source: 86-0303:Project-based Rental Assistance
Agency: Department of Housing and Urban Development
CFDA Program: 14.317 Section 8 Housing Assistance Payments Program Special Allocations –
Recovery Act Funded
Description: Contract Svs S8 Funds
Date Signed: March 20, 2009
Obligation Amount: $403,200
(USASpending.Gov, Accessed 1/14/12)

Sunset Hills Apartments Ltd, Which Is Located At Shepard’s 17 West Lockwood Property, Received $293,501 From The Stimulus Bill:
  • According To McCaskill’s PFD From 2005 To 2010, Shepard Had Assets In Sunset Hills Apartments, Ltd. (Sen. Claire McCaskill’s Personal Financial Disclosures For Year 2005-2010, Center For Responsive Politics Website, www.opensecrets.org, Accessed 2/21/12)
  • According To USASpending.gov, Sunset Hills Apartments Was Awarded $293,501 From The Stimulus Bill In May 2009.
Federal Award ID: NM160001001-09I
Recipient: SUNSET HILLS APTS, UNITED NEW MEXICO BANK BOX 1081, Albuquerque, NM
CFDA Program: 14.317 Section 8 Housing Assistance Payments Program Special Allocations –
Recovery Act Funded
Date Signed: May 11, 2009
Obligation Amount: $293,501
(USAspending.gov, Accessed 1/14/12)

Shepard Is A Limited Partner In Marston Apartments, Which Received $98,553 From The Stimulus Bill:
  • According To McCaskill’s PFD From 2005 To 2009 Shepard Had Assets In Marston Associates I, LP. (Sen. Claire McCaskill’s Personal Financial Disclosures For Year 2005-2009, Center For Responsive Politics Website, www.opensecrets.org, Accessed 2/21/12)
  • According To USASpending.gov, Marston Associates I LP Was Awarded $98,553 From The Stimulus Bill In March 2009.
Federal Award ID: MO36R000042-09Z
Recipient: MARSTON ASSOCIATES I LP, 111 North Main St, Clarkton
Recovery Act Funded
Obligation Amount: $98,553
(USASpending.gov, Accessed 1/14/12)

Shepard Has Assets And Provided Consulting To Saddlewood Apartments, Which Received $90,880 From The Stimulus Bill:
  • According To McCaskill’s PFD From 2005 To 2010 Shepard Had Assets In Saddlewood I LP. (Sen. Claire McCaskill’s Personal Financial Disclosures For Year 2005-2010, Center For Responsive Politics Website, www.opensecrets.org, Accessed 2/21/12)
  • According To USASpending.gov, Saddlewood Apartments Received $90,880 From The Stimulus Bill In March 2009.
Federal Award ID: MO168023004-09Z
Recipient: SADDLEWOOD APTS, 3201 WEST 10TH, Sedalia
Recovery Act Funded
Obligation Amount: $90,880
(USASpending.gov, Accessed 1/14/12)

Shepard’s Lockwood Group Owns Applegate Apartments, Which Received $80,136 From The Stimulus Bill:
  • According To McCaskill’s PFD From 2005 To 2010 Shepard Had Assets In Kansas Rural Housing Of Atchison LP. (Sen. Claire McCaskill’s Personal Financial Disclosures For Year 2005-2010, Center For Responsive Politics Website, www.opensecrets.org, Accessed 2/21/12)
  • According To USASpending.gov, “KS Rural Hsg / Atchison” Was Awarded $80,136 From The Stimulus Bill In March 2009.
Federal Award ID: KS16R000021-09Z
Recipient: KS RURAL HSG / ATCHISON, 1136 SW WANAMAKER, Topeka
Recovery Act Funded
Obligation Amount: $80,136
(USAspending.gov, Accessed 1/14/12)

Last edited by MUTGR; 08-23-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri