Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times

Advertisements

It looks like so far he's not backing out as of Noon today...

Defiant Akin says he's staying in race - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

I would hope reasonable GOP'ers who don't want to vote for McCaskill do a non-vote rather than vote for someone who doesn't understand how the reproductive system works. Misspoken or not, he demonstrated he doesn't understand basic biology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
It looks like so far he's not backing out as of Noon today...

Defiant Akin says he's staying in race - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

I would hope reasonable GOP'ers who don't want to vote for McCaskill do a non-vote rather than vote for someone who doesn't understand how the reproductive system works. Misspoken or not, he demonstrated he doesn't understand basic biology.
Thanks for the suggestion. It is duly noted.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
Mo. GOP leaders call for Akin to quit Senate race : Stltoday

Quote:
Five patriarchs of the Missouri Republican Party have called on U.S. Senate candidate Todd Akin to withdraw from the race after comments he made about rape.

The joint statement was issued Tuesday by U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt and four former senators from Missouri _ John ********, Kit Bond, Jim Talent and John Danforth. The Missouri GOP leaders say they "do not believe it serves the national interest for Congressman Akin to remain in the race."
Even A shcroft wants him out. Amusing that the forum software thinks he is an inappropriate word.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:39 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Seriously? That is funny!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:03 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
What an Ashole!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Okay, calm down. I wasn't speaking to you specifically; quite a few people misspelled his name. He can't be reelected, though, because he's not the incumbent - Claire McCaskill is. If I lived in Missouri, I would STILL vote for Akin or anyone else before I'd ever cast a vote for Claire McCaskill.
She's done a lot for veterans and, given the one running against her, that's good enough for me this election since I am a veteran. Akin fails to impress and leaves me underwhelmed. Foot in mouth disease is neither attractive nor compelling.

But, to each their own.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,155 times
Given the fact this is not merely a blunder but highlights how the man thinks (1, Is there "legitimate" rape? 2, Using his logic, if a women was pregnant from rape....then she really wasnt "raped) and given a year or so ago when he professed "Liberals hate God", the man is ignorant.

The only way anyone can vote for him because of their blind, ignorant hatred of Democrats.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The good? This is the best the state of Missouri can do? It's embarrassing. Yes, some people think McCaskill is good, others think Aikin, Steelman or Brunner. It is a matter of perspective.

From what I hear, Brunner had the organization, but many Democrats stepped over to the other side in the primary because they knew Akin was an easy mark. This is not the first time this has happened, it happens all the time in primary elections, particularly those with light turnout.

Update: it seems as though McCaskill herself engaged in political advertising that impacted the Republican primary results:
Democrats spent $1.5 mil to help Akin win GOP primary | WashingtonExaminer.com
I would agree, it is embarrassing; but, usually we get the government we allow and therefore what we deserve. The establishment GOP wasn't going to allow Brunner to win the primary. Akin & Steelman are/were establishment GOP picks.

As for Akin being an easy mark, yes, especially now. The Democrat spending doesn't suprise me. That will happen with the open primaries we hold in Missouri.

Akin isn't backing down. The video released today is what he should have said all along. A GOP member makes a gaffe and it is a national embarrassment. VP Biden does it and people just laugh. Republicans have a history of being harshest judges of their own and this showed in the rather knee-jerk reaction from Scott Brown and Mitt Romney yesterday.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/akin-w...rticle/2505506

Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereComesTreble View Post
Given the fact this is not merely a blunder but highlights how the man thinks (1, Is there "legitimate" rape? 2, Using his logic, if a women was pregnant from rape....then she really wasnt "raped) and given a year or so ago when he professed "Liberals hate God", the man is ignorant.

The only way anyone can vote for him because of their blind, ignorant hatred of Democrats.
Disdain for "Air Claire" in her latest attempt to avoid paying Missouri taxes is neither blind nor ignorant. She has a long history of corruption going back to her early political career in Kansas City. She promised she'd head to Capitol Hill as a fiscal conservative given her previous position as state auditor; yet, she has rubber stamped every Obama-Reid spending program. If Sen. McCaskill has nothing to hide then why hasn't she disclosed her husband's many shell corporations and her ties to them yet? We've been waiting for years.

Ignorant, no; rather well educated and not given to drinking the kool-aid of modern political theater.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:20 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
I think Aiken is great because he helps show the Republicans true colors on a national scale. After a while, it starts to pile up when the populace sees that the party is full of wackjobs such as Palin, Bachman, Ryan, and the like. Missouri is liable to end up becoming the butt of the nation's jokes if he's elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri