U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2007, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 19,532 times

Advertisements

Have a scheduled job interview coming up in Jefferson City. I currently live in Saint Louis and need some suggestions on relocating and transitioning to Jefferson City (provided I get the job ofcourse).

I canít afford an apartment, and donít have a vehicle to live out of. I checked the internet for homeless shelters in Jefferson City and there appears to be only one there.

Women, Families
815 E. High
Jefferson City, MO, 65101

Is anyone familiar with this shelter?

What is the general rent range for the apartments in Jefferson City?

May have more questions later but thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 04:50 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,896,628 times
Good luck on the interview. As to rental prices in that area, I guess you've done a search such as: apartment rent "jefferson city, mo" - Google Search

Have no info on the shelter - would guess that ya could give them a call, if not done already, and seeing what they have to say, how they sound, any references, etc.?

Would it be possible to check the local paper to find if anyone needs a roommate? Looking here, found 3 currently: Jefferson City News Tribune - Marketplace (http://www.newstribune.com/marketplace/ - broken link)

JC is a nice little burg, not much there tho' compared to its northern neighbor, but its nonetheless a quieter, laid back, friendly place.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 PM

349 posts, read 700,574 times
Much luck to you and I am sorry about your current predicament...God Bless

Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 PM

116 posts, read 312,147 times
Wow. thats all I can say and also I wish you much luck and success. With an attittude like that it wont be long before you are working and have your own place. I'm rooting for ya

Old 10-13-2007, 10:56 AM

1,238 posts, read 3,004,617 times
If you are the churchgoing type and are affiliated with a certain denomination, you might check with one. They may offer some assistance or a decreased rental house until you get on your feet. I'm sure there is a public assistance office of some kind there, that can help with income-based housing, although there may be a wait. I know "welfare" has an unpleasant ring to it, but that is why it is there-to help out until you get back on your feet. Best of luck to you, everyone falls on hard times sooner or later. The trick is hangin' on until things turn around.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,940,630 times
Here is some info I dug up just now.

You are homeless there is a way to help you. Have you checked into the housing authority? There is a Section 8 and Rentals that you may qualify for or they maybe able to help you in another direction
here is the web site Homeownership Vouchers: Missouri (http://www.hud.gov/local/mo/homeownership/hsgvouchers.cfm - broken link)

and here is a list of shelters I found
Missouri Homeless and Emergency Shelters - HomelessShelterDirectory.org

Once you get a place - I can help you find things such as bedding and furniture to help your transition if you would like.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,940,630 times
Oh yes please register at your local Humanity office (Welfare)
We all pay into this so that when and if the time comes of need ... its there to use it.

I want to say you are very brave to post such a topic ... I know that must of been very hard ... I will keep you in my prayers!
Best of Luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 19,532 times
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Just to clarify, I am not homeless now (okay, not yet anyway but that's a diff story).

But I am willing to relocate to just about anywhere in MO (or even outside of it) and anywhere I relocate too I would more than likely be homeless there (seems hard, but when you lack money and trying to make a new start elsewhere, then you gotta do what it you gotta do for whatever the time being).

Quote:
I want to say you are very brave to post such a topic ... I know that must of been very hard

Not really. You click 'post reply' then start typin. Ain't this site where people post to get information on different areas in the state? Why would this be any different?

Folks sittin anonymous behind a computer, and scared to post things. Well... more personal and relavant things anyway (outside of staying away from mid and high crime areas populated by 'minorities' )

Anyway, I got a coupla interviews scheduled (Saint Louis, Saint Charles, and I'm trying to manage transportation for the Jeff City one), so I'll see how this works out.

Quote:
Once you get a place - I can help you find things such as bedding and furniture to help your transition if you would like.
Sweet. I might actually take you up on that.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 AM

19 posts, read 52,857 times
Try the homeless shelters in Columbia. City buses. Jobs can be located in the newspaper. showmenews.com. That is the only thing that I liked about Columbia. I could stay on park benches or the 24 laundry mat when I was homeless for a bit.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 AM

19 posts, read 52,857 times
Oh, and you can work at temp services in Columbia and get paid daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri