Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 PM

7 posts, read 5,173 times

Advertisements

I hope to be graduating this fall from university, and I wanna move to someplace a little warmer, more southern, etc but of course stay in MO and attend grad school like SWMO state or SEMO.

So which do you prefer? I know Cape would have more of a southern flavor than springfield being in the far SE part of the state, and Springfield MO has southern, but also influences from western, and midwest and is in the Ozarks.

So which one would be the better fit? Cape is a little warmer in the summer, but winter temps are about the same, however springfield gets a little more snow and also you have the hills to mess with anywhere you go in the ozarks and Cape seems to get less snow (not this winter of course).

I was thinking springfield because it's a bigger city, and you have lakes closer by and the scenery is a lot nicer than Southeast Missouri flat lands, and just south of the city you're in dixie for sure especially places like Ava, Branson, etc.

I would assume there are more jobs in springfield, than southeast MO as southeast MO is more agricultural it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:17 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMO_Uber_Alles View Post
So which one would be the better fit? Cape is a little warmer in the summer, but winter temps are about the same, however springfield gets a little more snow and also you have the hills to mess with anywhere you go in the ozarks and Cape seems to get less snow (not this winter of course).
Don't look now but that's what makes the Ozarks and makes them special and unique.

We live a 20 mile drive south of Branson and 60 miles from Springfield which we've gone to mnumerous times. We've also been to and enjoyed Cape. We're less than 10 miles from the AR border and the Southern influence is strong here.

For your purposes, Springfield seem to be the better bet.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Don't look now but that's what makes the Ozarks and makes them special and unique.

We live a 20 mile drive south of Branson and 60 miles from Springfield which we've gone to mnumerous times. We've also been to and enjoyed Cape. We're less than 10 miles from the AR border and the Southern influence is strong here.

For your purposes, Springfield seem to be the better bet.
Yea. Well I was saying the ozarks because in the winter, especially the hillier more southern parts of the Ozarks are not fun to drive with snow on them having to go up and down hills and curves.

And yea you're in the south where you live. I have a relative who had a house on Bull Shoals in far southern Missouri just a few miles from Arkansas and there is nothing midwestern at all there. Now granted nothern arkansas, far southern MO in that area is not as southern as the bootheel or northern MS, and the Delta areas of the mid south. It's more upland south, hickish like Eastern TN, eastern KY mountains.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Yea. Well I was saying the ozarks because in the winter, especially the hillier more southern parts of the Ozarks are not fun to drive with snow on them having to go up and down hills and curves.
I disagree. The best thing about snow is driving in it because it's fun.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I disagree. The best thing about snow is driving in it because it's fun.
Not when you like driving rear wheel drive.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
The choice of school and program is very important. Do both schools offer the graduate program you are interested in? And is one program better than the other in any way?

I'm going to MSU for my grad degree, and I am very happy there. But that's just me.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM

367 posts, read 765,742 times
If the acceptance of both graduate degrees are the same I'd look at where I'd want to work and/or relocate before choosing SWMO or SEMO.

Some graduate degrees from Drury university land a person a job in Springfield over a person with a similar background at Missouri St. Conversely a job in Memphis would recognize a Semo degree first. I don't think it matters to an employer in KC or StL.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Drury cost around as much as the private school I go to right now. That would be dumb to pay that kind of cash. Well if I went to Cape me and THB could meet up and debate the finer points of the civil war and such.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:

And yea you're in the south where you live. I have a relative who had a house on Bull Shoals in far southern Missouri just a few miles from Arkansas and there is nothing midwestern at all there. Now granted nothern arkansas, far southern MO in that area is not as southern as the bootheel or northern MS, and the Delta areas of the mid south. It's more upland south, hickish like Eastern TN, eastern KY mountains.
Not surprising since the Scotch-Irish came from the Appalachians and settled in the Ozarks after the French.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not surprising since the Scotch-Irish came from the Appalachians and settled in the Ozarks after the French.
Very true. Seems very similar from driving in the mountain areas of TN. Scenery too, except the mountains in TN are bigger/taller than the Ozarks for the most part. Except in the higher elevations in TN, VA, and especially WV the summers are cooler than the Ozarks due to the higher elevations. Some areas only have average highs in July in the mid to upper 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri