Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I am curious what part of southwest Missouri you visited, and if you have ever been to the Branson area? I consider this area to be more "southern" than Bentonville or Rogers. Also to answer your question about sweet tea, you can get it in any part of southwest Missouri I have been in....including springfield.
I agree with you. Bentonville and Rogers both have grown like crazy lately, and many midwesterners live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,734,407 times
Nope, I don't think of the whole Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville area as Southern at all. It's got a completely different feel to it than the rest of AR and SW MO. That might be because hardly anybody who lives there these days is actually from there.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM

220 posts, read 450,729 times
That's what I'm saying, Bentonville/Rogers are not southern to me at all, and I think it's influenced the south western part of the state to not be (or at least seem) southern. I think you have to go east of the 71 corridor to get into dixie land.

How far east I'm not sure, probably somewhere between 71 and Springfield/Branson is where it starts though.

And the "sweet tea test" is to ask for tea, and see if they automatically bring you sweet tea or ask if you want unsweetened.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 18,220 times
THB's map is right on for SE Missouri.

Far Southwestern MO, NW AR is different feel. It leans southern, but not totally southern due to being close to Kansas and far NE OK. I would certainly call is southern before Midwestern.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 PM

694 posts, read 1,348,757 times
onegoal - please let me give you a clue on how it has become so easy for some of us to pick you out of a crowd without having the moderators access to your IP address.

If someone opens up a new account and jumps feet first into a conversation about Missouri being a southern state - or starts another thread about this well beaten topic - and their handle has something to do with a Mustang, the Blues, a Confederate name, or has Missouri or the initials of our fair state in it - they are immediately suspect.

I tell you this only because your sneaking onto the board is really not a challenge anymore and for selfish reasons, I wanted to give you a few clues to make the hunt 'more interesting' in the future.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM

8 posts, read 18,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
onegoal - please let me give you a clue on how it has become so easy for some of us to pick you out of a crowd without having the moderators access to your IP address.

If someone opens up a new account and jumps feet first into a conversation about Missouri being a southern state - or starts another thread about this well beaten topic - and their handle has something to do with a Mustang, the Blues, a Confederate name, or has Missouri or the initials of our fair state in it - they are immediately suspect.

I tell you this only because your sneaking onto the board is really not a challenge anymore and for selfish reasons, I wanted to give you a few clues to make the hunt 'more interesting' in the future.
I'm not breaking any rules though. There is no reason to ban me. I'm following the rules.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlue View Post
I'm not breaking any rules though. There is no reason to ban me. I'm following the rules.
You have a duplicate account. That is a violation of the rules. Be gone.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM

620 posts, read 1,222,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
That's what I'm saying, Bentonville/Rogers are not southern to me at all, and I think it's influenced the south western part of the state to not be (or at least seem) southern. I think you have to go east of the 71 corridor to get into dixie land.

How far east I'm not sure, probably somewhere between 71 and Springfield/Branson is where it starts though.

And the "sweet tea test" is to ask for tea, and see if they automatically bring you sweet tea or ask if you want unsweetened.
I am going to have to disagree with you. How many times have you been to northwest ark/southwest mo? I will tell you yes bentonville/rogers are less southern....but there are still many people from other parts of Arkansas that move into these places. The UofA is in Fayetteville, and kids that go there are GENERALLY from Arkansas, so that has a big influence on the Fayetteville area. Also as soon as you get out of the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area, everything is completely southern. I invite you to visit places like Berryville,Arkansas(pronounced by locals as Burvul), Noel, Missouri or even Pea Ridge, Arkansas. All of these are fairly close to the nwa metro and very southern. Neosho, Missouri is in between Joplin and Bentonville, and is very southern as well. Btw hear is an example of a few different local kids from right outside the NWA metro area...I believe they are in Pea Ridge which is about 30 mins at most from the metro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOf1G..._za_Yw&index=6

Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM

50 posts, read 112,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The author is off his rocker, but after the 20th try or so I agree he got pretty close with the southern line.

I only did this for Southeast Missouri because it is the only area I am claiming to have any expertise with. The Black line is where I consider the north/south line to be, although it isn't absolute. The Yellow line is where I define the Missouri bootheel to begin.
I totally agree with GunnerTHB's Missouri map. I think it is the most accurate one I've ever seen out of all in Missouri threads.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM

9,334 posts, read 20,677,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
My family is from a small town called Ellington, and it's about on this line. They seem pretty southern to me there, and I lived in Georgia and Northern Florida before so I'm pretty used to Southerners.
Wow do I agree with your Ellington observation. I mentioned this in another thread once, and it involves another town on the Current and Jacks Fork, which is Eminence. I felt as though this town was distinctly southern, but by the time you reach Salem, 40 miles north, you feel as though you've made a complete transformation into the Midwest.

The one town that appears to be in the midwest, via the map, but feels southern to me, is Potosi, which is north of Ellington. I have no idea why this town specifically does not feel midwestern to me, but it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri