Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 PM

320 posts, read 611,006 times

Advertisements

^ American "heritage" always has been, and always will be, the sum of the immigrant cultures the country is composed of. 100 years ago we had German and Norwegian and Italian newspapers in the big cities. STL had/has Bosnian language stuff. Now we have Mexican and Ethiopian and Hmong and Chinese and Russian and who knows what other kinds of media. This is the natural state of affairs in a country that has always embraced immigrants and which was built by its immigrants, and that is as American as it gets. American culture = immigrant culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 PM

260 posts, read 587,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
^ American "heritage" always has been, and always will be, the sum of the immigrant cultures the country is composed of. 100 years ago we had German and Norwegian and Italian newspapers in the big cities. STL had/has Bosnian language stuff. Now we have Mexican and Ethiopian and Hmong and Chinese and Russian and who knows what other kinds of media. This is the natural state of affairs in a country that has always embraced immigrants and which was built by its immigrants, and that is as American as it gets. American culture = immigrant culture.
I don't have a problem with other nationalities having their own newspapers, but walking into a major chain grocery store and all the signs in Spanish is NOT American. I couldn't even read what the advertisements were except for the few Spanish words I knew from living in Florida in the past.

If I went to Deutschland or Österreich I would expect the language to be spoken to be Deutsche and same for signs and such. Same if I went to Japan I would expect to have to know Japanese culture and not force my own culture on them like the Hispanics are in many parts of this country.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 AM

There's a tiny violin playing a tiny lament for you between my fingertips.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:

Good lecture on embracing immigration, but it's a bit ironic your dream city is one of the whitest big cities in the country.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Good lecture on embracing immigration, but it's a bit ironic your dream city is one of the whitest big cities in the country.
Stl CITY isn't very white at all. 50 percent of the residents are black and another percentage is of other races such as Hispanic, Chinese, Vietnamese etc.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 AM

MSP has about 15% percent foreign born compared to STL's less than 7%. So what if it's more white than STL? It's still way more diverse.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
MSP has about 15% percent foreign born compared to STL's less than 7%. So what if it's more white than STL? It's still way more diverse.
What does MSP stand for?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:46 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
Uh because this is America, and not Haiti, Mexico, Kenya, Yemen etc. Most of the Mexicans and Haitians don't speak English. If they want to live here they should speak English like Americans do.

When I went into Winn Dixie, their advertisements are in Spanish. Even the signs for the Deli, Produce dept were also in Spanish. Didn't see that in Publix.

I thought I was in a Mexican grocery store.

I guess because I want to preserve my heritage it makes me "racist" then so be it. Yall can vote Democrat and support amnesty that takes away jobs and burdens the tax payer.
Everybody else, all of us, also want Mexicans and Haitians to speak English.

That's not why people asked you if you're a white supremacist.

You openly declared that you love Hitler.

How's that working out for you?

Quote:
Yeah but you see, the three types of newspapers you named, were catered to WHITE people you see?
Mexican, Ethiopian, Hmong and Chinese are not white. I'm sure he's fine with "Russian".

He's a White Nazi, is a member of Stormfront (his handle there has been outted) and worships Hitler. He even wrote that he pretended to bash Hitler here so that he wouldn't be outted as a white Nazi and get bashed.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 08-18-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
Quote:
MSP is more liberal as well.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
MSP is more liberal as well.
What is MSP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri