U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2009, 04:22 PM

23 posts, read 51,040 times

Advertisements

centfla: that's a pretty difficult question to answer, simply because Missouri winters are never the same, and the weather changes constantly. We always say, if you don't like the weather, give if five minutes and it'll change, and it's pretty much true.

What you CAN expect are extremely cold periods--that are often 5-10 days at a stretch--with temps down around single digits, often colder. They're usually followed by unseasonably warm periods for a few days, and then more cold. It's never easy to estimate how long any cold or warm weather is going to last, so we just take it one day at a time.

As for snow, well, some winters we get a lot, and other winters we get next to nothing. This year we've gotten next to nothing, which means it'll be dumped on us next year.

Tornadoes have hit Columbia in the past, but it's extremely rare. More often than not, they hit hard to the West and just North of us, but as they approach the city, they die down almost instantly. We went for years without any hail, until about 5 years ago. Now, every time we hear about a thunderstorm in the summer, we pretty much cower in fear that more hail is going to hit. Half the time it does, but it's mostly too small to do any damage. In other words, you're most likely to be affected badly by hail damage than a tornado, so a house with a garage is a safer bet than one with a basement.

Oh, and the summers are horribly humid and hot. I don't think we even know what a dry heat is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 AM

9 posts, read 31,913 times
Default columbia mo questions

thank you. you gave a lot of good information. i now have a bit of a picture. information obtained described snow fall as you did. with single digits , i would guess there is a lot of icy conditions in the winter ? being from fl. we don't experience dry heat. thank you again

Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 AM

Yeah, we have a lot of icy conditions. And it seems everyone forgets how to drive on the stuff each year, because the first icy day each winter, we end up with a bunch of accidents. The City of Columbia does a half-@ss job of keeping the roads clean, too. Primary roads are usually kept in great condition, but residential streets are rarely touched by snowplows. For traction, they put down cinders, which end up turning everything black for the rest of winter, and don't really give much traction at all. It doesn't help that Columbia is pretty hilly.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:49 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,980,775 times
I lived in Columbia for four years and the first and fourth winters were awful (ESP. the fourth winter when we got a record 16 inches of snow) but the two in the middle were pretty mild.

Tornadoes are just not worth worrying yourself over. Find out what you would do in the event of a warning -- in your basement or in your inner-most bathroom etc. -- because eventually you might have to go down there, but tornadoes are incredibly hit or miss and just not all that common as far east as Columbia. The real heart of Tornado alley is farther west in Oklahoma and Kansas.

The point is, it's worth thinking about, but you'd be silly to make a life decision based on it.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 11,373 times
a good high school....Rock Bridge

Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 AM

736 posts, read 934,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centfla View Post
i have been researching the forum, and wondering how bad winters are in columbia, does it experience harsh winters with a lot of snow, how about tornado activity. i am from fl. and may have a job transfer. know nothing about the columbia area, beyond the forum. and am used to warm winters , but grew up in ny, so am familiar with the cold.
The last few years, I wouldn't call it a LOT of snow, but there is some snow. As someone else said, snow isn't the problem-- it's ice on the roads and, to a lesser extent, on trees and power lines, especially when the two come together. The city under-invested in snow- and ice-clearing vehicles for the streets and there's traditionally been an evasion of responsibility for the major roads in town, because they're state highways and the state highway dept doesn't seem to be in any real hurry to clear roads in town.. I suspect that there's some inter-governmental tension going on there. There's also the issue of the disappearing lane markers. They're hard to see at the best of times, but with any kind of precip, they just vanish. Again, the city blames the state and the state just kind of ignores us. But we do have a LOT of parks and a pretty neat hike-bike trail network...and a mayor who thinks that that's more important that road safety.

As for tornadoes-- well, this is the midwest, and with the exception of targeting trailer parks, it's my experience that tornadoes, once they get started, pretty much go where they will. I recall one tornado in the last decade in Columbia proper, but I don't recall it doing much damage. I do believe that, because there is always a possibility of one hitting where you live, that you try to get a house with a basement if possible, and do the general preparation thing-- flashlight(s), drinking water, non-perishable food, a place to sleep if it comes to that. I'd say that there's significantly less chance of a tornado hitting Columbia than there is of a hurricane hitting in any particular place in Florida.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I recall one tornado in the last decade in Columbia proper, but I don't recall it doing much damage.
I recall two instances of tornado damage in Columbia since I've lived here (23 years), but there could have been others. One happened in 1990, I believe, when I was in Jr. High. I remember this one, because it ripped the roof off of Pizza Hut about two blocks away from my school while we were all huddled in the basement.

The other time was a decade or so back, and it hit the neighborhood to the South of what is now Grindstone Parkway (link). It damaged a large percentage of the homes in that neighborhood, and probably took a year or so before everything was back to normal.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Photo of the tornado damage I mentioned before: Panoramio - Photo of Southridge Tornado, November 9, 1998, Columbia, Missouri

I just happened to come across this the other day.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,636 times
Default crime rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0on View Post
The crime rate in Columbia has skyrocketed in the past few months. We have shootings, armed robberies, murders, home invasions, etc... pretty much on a daily basis now. My co-workers and I are actually surprised now when we Don't read about something happening over night in the city.

Just thought I'd throw that out there before you move here. Bring a security force along with you.
That's bad news! I wanted to move there because I read an article in the Parade that said Co. was the most bike-friendly town in the U.S. I live in a suburb close to Little Rock Arkansas. Does the crime drop the farther you live from Co.?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykceb1957 View Post
That's bad news! I wanted to move there because I read an article in the Parade that said Co. was the most bike-friendly town in the U.S. I live in a suburb close to Little Rock Arkansas. Does the crime drop the farther you live from Co.?
In the 2 years since I wrote that, Columbia has gotten somewhat better. For one, they've arrested a lot of people, and a huge portion of the crime disappeared with them. Cops also do more patrolling of trouble spots, and the mall has a weekend curfew.

As far as being bike friendly, yes and no. I bike all the time (mountain bike and singlespeed road bike), so I've seen first hand what goes on. The city has a huge Federal grant to put toward improving the city for cycling and commuting by bike. Trails are kept up really well, streets are well marked, and in the last few months, more and more roads are marked with bike lanes. We also have a large section of rail-trail right inside the city, and it connects outside of town with the main Katy trail.

If you MTB, we have an awesome state park on the border of town (Rock Bridge) with 20+ miles of singletrack, plus two other great singetrack parks; one in the city (Rhett's Run), one out past Rock Bridge called Three Creeks. We're also just 35 minutes away from Binder park in Jefferson City, which has a trail system built by bikers. It's about 13-14mi of twisty singletrack.

The downside, though, is that a minority of drivers hate cyclists, for whatever reason. They're very outspoken, and many are complete jerks to cyclists while we ride. I've had many incidents where cars have swerved at me, people have shouted profanity, etc. Overall, most people are courteous, but a few drivers seem bent on ruining it for everyone. The city actually had to pass a law a few months ago to make harassing cyclists more of an offense, just to discourage the behavior. Of course, that just *****ed drivers off even more...

Check the Missourian's website ( Columbia Missourian ) for stories related to cycling to get an overall idea.

Don't avoid living here due to the crime, though. I'd rather fill the city with better citizens that have it turn into a haven for gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri