Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Columbia or Springfield is better for us?
Columbia, MO 6 30.00%
Springfield, MO 14 70.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM

141 posts, read 426,412 times

Advertisements

Hi moving,

I have lived here on the north side of town two years. I love Springfield. I live here with my husband and daughter. We have not really noticed a lot of crime here. Yes there is crime but no more than other cities. There are many good hospitals close by. Also there are several health food stores as well. Mama Jeans is a good one and it is opening up it's third location soon.

If you don't want to live in the city there are plenty of places close by with some land to have animals or have a garden. We moved here from MS so the humidity here is nothing compared to what we are used to.

I have to agree that this area sounds more to your liking. Columbia might be nice but I think you will feel more at home in Springfield.

If you do some checking around on the internet I am sure you will find plenty of places to rent. Rent here is really reasonable. You can pm me if you want any more info. I will be happy to answer anything that I can.

Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I'm a fan of Springfield and try to promote it. But if your primary reason for moving is to be closer to family, and Springfield isn't really closer, then there isn't much point to moving there. Columbia and the surrounding area, based on that factor, sounds like it would be a better fit for you.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Thanks Attrapereves, that's good to know! Any suggestions on safer areas outside of Columbia?

Thanks so much!
Take a look at Boonville, Moberly, Ashland, and Fulton. They should all be within a 30 minute drive to Columbia. They are all small towns with very little crime. I, too, love smaller towns and would love to live in one of them.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Ok everything to me is screaming Symore or Walnut Grove.Me I like more of what people would call Boonies then I would say Gainesville or maybe Houston.

brushrunner

Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Take a look at Boonville, Moberly, Ashland, and Fulton. They should all be within a 30 minute drive to Columbia. They are all small towns with very little crime. I, too, love smaller towns and would love to live in one of them.
I worked and lived in Boonville until I retired,lived South of town,had small 100 acre farm.That's been over 20 years and things have changed but I still love it.

brushrunner

Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM

207 posts, read 443,638 times
Default What about humidity and cost in Springfield vs.Columbia then?

Thank you to all who responded to this with your help - you guys are awesome!

So one poster already said that in Springfield it *feels* slightly less humid. Have others here found that to be the case? I really want a little farm somewhere about 20 minutes max from a Walmart (or Target) where we can have chickens, dogs, goats, a garden, etc. I have heard that Springfield is less humid than Columbia. Do you guys agree with this?

Although my family (closer to Columbia) wants me to move closer, cost is a HUGE factor as is a family oriented place, and Springfield seems to have many more options for renting at the moment within our price range. It also seems to be an area that has a strong homeschool and natural living community - what with all of the farmers markets and such.

Any opinions? I'm all ears, and I really like to hear from the 'pros' in Springfield as well as in Columbia (or MO in general) who can save me from learning things the hard way (the way I usually end up learning LOL).

Thank you so much!!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 PM

260 posts, read 587,260 times
I say Springfield. It's warmer, more Dixie and more south

Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I lived in Walnut Grove and Rogersville.

Springfield has an absolutely awesome Homeschool system that you will love. I think it is one of the churches that hosts the homeschool lending library. I found the group in Yahoo Groups. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/c-h-a-o-s/ .

Walnut Grove for the most pary has been trying to die for 30 years. Rogersville is doing okay. They question is how often you want to drive to Springfield? Do not live on West Sunshine. The first year I lived there I was in the tail end of a tornado. One on the other hand, I never heard of tornado on East Sunshine. Joplin, Springfield and Lake of the Ozarks have all had tornadic activity.

Columbia is a big college town. The best skin doctor in MO is in Columbia. .I do not know if Columbia has tornado activity or not.

i had friends in Gravette. It is about as NWAR as you can get. Love the mountains too. Springfield and Fayetteville are about as far apart in similarity as you will find. Springfield is more compact and much larger.

Last edited by linicx; 06-09-2013 at 01:28 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM

207 posts, read 432,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I lived in Walnut Grove and Rogersville.

Springfield has an absolutely awesome Homeschool system that you will love. I think it is one of the churches that hosts the homeschool lending library. I found the group in Yahoo Groups. C-H-A-O-S : Creative Homeschool Alliance Of SWMO .

Walnut Grove for the most pary has been trying to die for 30 years. Rogersville is doing okay. They question is how often you want to drive to Springfield? Do not live on West Sunshine. The first year I lived there I was in the tail end of a tornado. One on the other hand, I never heard of tornado on East Sunshine. Joplin, Springfield and Lake of the Ozarks have all had tornadic activity.

Columbia is a big college town. The best skin doctor in MO is in Columbia. .I do not know if Columbia has tornado activity or not.

i had friends in Gravette. It is about as NWAR as you can get. Love the mountains too. Springfield and Fayetteville are about as far apart in similarity as you will find. Springfield is more compact and much larger.
Both big Springfield tornadoes did hit East Battlefield though. Natural Bridge Estates and Brentwood were hit twice in about a decade.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I knew about Battlefield because the one I was in in the 80s moved SE nicked Kansas Expressway, Battlefield and further south before it died out. I don't remember if it went as far south as Steak n' Shake or not, but it was close. It wasn't anything like the storms that hit Pierce City and Joplin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri