Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times

Advertisements

I spent some time in Washington and Sullivan. Both are nice areas and pretty. The problem with rural is most are isolated. clannish, plus what what you can buy or do is limited. It is the same any where ever you move to a small town. It takes a few years before no one notices. Getting involved in church and city activities helps. Sullivan is busier as it is located on I-44.

You might like Troy. It's on 61 North about midway between US 54 and I-70. It's an easy drive to St. Louis, Lake of the Ozarks, or even some of the festivals at Hermann on MO 19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,109 times
Festus, Mo is very nice and welcoming to newcomers. It's a short 40 minutes from downtown St. Louis and has most everything you'd want in a small-to-midsized town (older Main Street with quaint shops, but no malls!) The crime rate is low and the schools seem rather trouble-free. We live in nearby southern Ste. Genevieve county and travel to South St. Louis frequently for events and special occasions, but we love stopping off in Festus on the way to shop, gas-up, eat or whatever. If we ever moved north, I'd choose Festus or another nearby town in southern Jefferson county or, if south of here then I'd choose Perryville or Cape Girardeau counties. The rural Midwest is definitely a nice place to live and raise a family without costing a fortune.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 PM

260 posts, read 586,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notb4coffee View Post
Festus, Mo is very nice and welcoming to newcomers. It's a short 40 minutes from downtown St. Louis and has most everything you'd want in a small-to-midsized town (older Main Street with quaint shops, but no malls!) The crime rate is low and the schools seem rather trouble-free. We live in nearby southern Ste. Genevieve county and travel to South St. Louis frequently for events and special occasions, but we love stopping off in Festus on the way to shop, gas-up, eat or whatever. If we ever moved north, I'd choose Festus or another nearby town in southern Jefferson county or, if south of here then I'd choose Perryville or Cape Girardeau counties. The rural Midwest is definitely a nice place to live and raise a family without costing a fortune.
I'd chose Cape Girardeau county because the rural areas of it has southern Culture in it. Especially western part of the county.

What about St. Francios county? That is rural but it is a longer distance from Stl, and it is in that Midwest/south transition zone area.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
I'd chose Cape Girardeau county because the rural areas of it has southern Culture in it. Especially western part of the county.

What about St. Francios county? That is rural but it is a longer distance from Stl, and it is in that Midwest/south transition zone area.
In no way is Cape Girardeau County part of the St. Louis area. It's over 110 miles away.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 PM

260 posts, read 586,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
In no way is Cape Girardeau County part of the St. Louis area. It's over 110 miles away.
LOL I am WELL aware of that. I was just suggesting the poster should move more south.

I'd say the Stl influence ends at the Ste Gen, Perry County border. Ste Gen seems to have an St. Louis connection while Perry County does not so much. Especially political wise Ste Gen seems to think more like the stl area while Perry CO is really conservative more like southern Missouri.

Saint Francois county is the southern extent imo of Stl influence. Once you get past Farmington I don't notice it, but also IMO when you get into Saint Francois county you notice the lessoning of the stl influence and the start of that Midwest South transition zone.

I know you wouldn't want to be lumped in with Stl THB because then you'd be called an Yankee and you would hate that! I was born in Missouri which had a star on the Battle Flag, and lived in FL for ten years. So I consider myself both Midwestern and Southern hybrid since MO was a southern state and is in parts of Missouri, but Stl isn't southern in modern times.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,510 times
My sister and her husband relocated to Villa Ridge a couple of years ago from the Poconos in Pennsylvania. They are quite the odd couple and I bet they weren't very welcomed in Villa Ridge. They are both from the south. He is from Mississippi and she is from Florida.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,510 times
Eight years ago I drove toCape Giraudoux to pick up my dog. I live in Florida and found a breeder who once owned, Shadow Hill Kennels. Her name is Jodie Brown. I kept in touch with her from time to time but then learned that she and her husband no longer have the kennel. They actually lived in Gordonsville and my husband named our dog, Gordon. I changed it to Gordi. My dog is still with me and he's awesome.
Cape Giraudoux seemed like a nice community when I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri