Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 PM

36 posts, read 51,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
That is pretty neat you can trace them that far back!

Did any of them fight for the Missouri State Guard or the Confederacy?
The 12 Pioneer families of Lawrence County were yankees. The head of the Spilman family was their company commander (most of them). My fifth great grandfather John McCune Fullerton, the first permanent white settler in SW Missouri, was a slave owner, but his son Laban Taylor Fullerton was shot off his front porch by southern sympathizers after the war. Hes listed on the lower left of this monument as a civilian casualty

Cave Springs' Cemetery Civil War Memorial Marker

The county where John McCune Fullerton died was pro confederate during the war. John McCune Fullerton died before the war.

Laban Taylor Fullertons daughter Mary Catherine Fullerton married Pinkney Tell Mann, of the Mann Pioneer Family of Lawrence County. I counted 58 Manns that fought for the north in Missouri.

PT Manns grandfather in law owned slaves, but his father in law was a yankee too. I am still trying to figure out if these were family rifts or not. As you know, slavery played no role in the reasons soldiers fought one way or another.

The ancestors that settled Missouri with Daniel Boone when Missouri was still owned by Spain were the Zumwalts. They were Confederates, the famous texan "Black Adam" Zumwalt was a brother of my second great grandmother Nancy Zumwalt.

Most of my direct ancestors that fought for the south were on my fathers side of the family, in fact every one of his direct acestors here in the states during the war fought for the south. And he only has one direct ancestor that came here after the war.

Ironically, one of them, my second great grandfather Robert Augusts Hardee, commanded a georgia infantry company and was a state senator from Brevard County Florida after the war, I noticed you posted about Brevard County earlier in this thread. My first born is named Hardee, mine and my fathers middle names.
He went on to "pioneer" the central east coast of Florida.
Co "H"

He owned the land that cocoa florida was built on.

Are you a Missouri native? I have only recently begun researching my mothers side of the family, which includes Missouri. I really want to get moved over the border to that area soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,757 times
Much of the Ozarks were pro union during the civil war. Most of the settlers came from the mountains of Tennessee and Kentucky where slavery was of no use to them. They despised the plantation culture of the Deep South. The baldknobbers were actually a pro union group around my area, and today there are still descendants of the baldknobbers around. They have a show here. Having said that the culture itself was southern.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 PM

260 posts, read 587,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman2012 View Post
The 12 Pioneer families of Lawrence County were yankees. The head of the Spilman family was their company commander (most of them). My fifth great grandfather John McCune Fullerton, the first permanent white settler in SW Missouri, was a slave owner, but his son Laban Taylor Fullerton was shot off his front porch by southern sympathizers after the war. Hes listed on the lower left of this monument as a civilian casualty

Cave Springs' Cemetery Civil War Memorial Marker

The county where John McCune Fullerton died was pro confederate during the war. John McCune Fullerton died before the war.

Laban Taylor Fullertons daughter Mary Catherine Fullerton married Pinkney Tell Mann, of the Mann Pioneer Family of Lawrence County. I counted 58 Manns that fought for the north in Missouri.

PT Manns grandfather in law owned slaves, but his father in law was a yankee too. I am still trying to figure out if these were family rifts or not. As you know, slavery played no role in the reasons soldiers fought one way or another.

The ancestors that settled Missouri with Daniel Boone when Missouri was still owned by Spain were the Zumwalts. They were Confederates, the famous texan "Black Adam" Zumwalt was a brother of my second great grandmother Nancy Zumwalt.

Most of my direct ancestors that fought for the south were on my fathers side of the family, in fact every one of his direct acestors here in the states during the war fought for the south. And he only has one direct ancestor that came here after the war.

Ironically, one of them, my second great grandfather Robert Augusts Hardee, commanded a georgia infantry company and was a state senator from Brevard County Florida after the war, I noticed you posted about Brevard County earlier in this thread. My first born is named Hardee, mine and my fathers middle names.
He went on to "pioneer" the central east coast of Florida.
Co "H"

He owned the land that cocoa florida was built on.

Are you a Missouri native? I have only recently begun researching my mothers side of the family, which includes Missouri. I really want to get moved over the border to that area soon.
Yea I'm native to Missouri.

However many on here claim the civil war was fought strictly over slavery, including many on this forum.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Much of the Ozarks were pro union during the civil war. Most of the settlers came from the mountains of Tennessee and Kentucky where slavery was of no use to them. They despised the plantation culture of the Deep South. The baldknobbers were actually a pro union group around my area, and today there are still descendants of the baldknobbers around. They have a show here. Having said that the culture itself was southern.
True.

I note during the 1950s the Arkansas Ozarks was voting Republican while the rest of the state was still voting Democrat. Same thing for SW MO too was voting conservative republican.

Kentucky also like Missouri Democrats generally dominated state politics but they did elect some Republican governors and senators at time unlike the rest of the South.

As I said before all because someone didn't support the Confederacy doesn't mean they're not southern!!

The Arkansas Ozarks really wasn't that pro confederate, and Eastern TN wanted to breakaway like WV did but the Confederacy stopped it. Hence while TN fell so fast and was the first state admitted back after reconstruction.

The upper south states were more reluctant to secede. Virginia at first rejected secession and so did other upper south states unlike the deep south that was quick to secede.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:24 AM

America n hero brad pitt is also a direct descendant of john mccune fullerton

Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:

However many on here claim the civil war was fought strictly over slavery, including many on this forum.
As a history teacher I can assure you that view is becoming more unconventional while states rights is becoming more mainstream. missouri only joined the confederacy after the legislature voted on it I neosho.

I wonder what interest they had in slavery? Probably just being cruel hateful southerners

Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,722 times
Quote:
American hero brad pitt .....As a history teacher ......
The kids of today are so screwed!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
What evidence is there they despised the plantation culture, or any agrarian culture for that matter?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:10 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,249 times
Quote:

Yep, that would be the same ones who only learned the revisionist history and are too dumb to even research for themselves for the truth.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
What evidence is there they despised the plantation culture, or any agrarian culture for that matter?
I don't think they hated it, just that most of them in AR, MO Ozarks didn't really care one way or another.

And also the Ozarks back then was VERY rural. There were pro Confederate areas of the Ozarks like Ripley, Oregon, and Butler counties were very pro Confederate even though they didn't have many slaves.

Rolla was also pro south during the war as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri