Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM

719 posts, read 1,058,841 times

Advertisements

Originally posted by Hazel W
Food? Biscuits and gravy can be found all over the state. Real Southern biscuits and gravy with sausage or bacon, according to your choice. It seems to be a Sunday breakfast at many restaurants.

Love fried chicken and biscuits and chicken fried steak and gravy. All with sweet tea. Love pork sausage with biscuits too. But healthy eating has come even to the south. lol I eat those things much less than I used to which is a good excuse to go to church suppers and family reunions. I just have to hit the gym harder the next day!
BTW curious what the dessert of choice is in Missouri. I would say that the one dessert you see most at a church gathering in Upstate SC is banana pudding. You also have pies, cookies and layer cakes but the pudding is the most popular I think.
One thing that is big here -not sure if you have them or not -is boiled peanuts .Definitely an acquired taste but I love them.
We haven't even mentioned barbeque, but I know that what's good barbeque in one state could be crap in another . I would guess the most popular barbeque style in Upstate SC is pulled pork with one of 2 sauces-a mustard based vinegar sauce and or a tomato based vinegar sauce.

Last edited by senecaman; 10-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM

143 posts, read 357,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Originally posted by Hazel W
Food? Biscuits and gravy can be found all over the state. Real Southern biscuits and gravy with sausage or bacon, according to your choice. It seems to be a Sunday breakfast at many restaurants.

Love fried chicken and biscuits and chicken fried steak and gravy. All with sweet tea. Love pork sausage with biscuits too. But healthy eating has come even to the south. lol I eat those things much less than I used to which is a good excuse to go to church suppers and family reunions. I just have to hit the gym harder the next day!
BTW curious what the dessert of choice is in Missouri. I would say that the one dessert you see most at a church gathering in Upstate SC is banana pudding. You also have pies, cookies and layer cakes but the pudding is the most popular I think.
One thing that is big here -not sure if you have them or not -is boiled peanuts .Definitely an acquired taste but I love them.
We haven't even mentioned barbeque, but I know that what's good barbeque in one state could be crap in another . I would guess the most popular barbeque style in Upstate SC is pulled pork with one of 2 sauces-a mustard based vinegar sauce and or a tomato based vinegar sauce.
Idk, seems like pies, cakes, and cookies were the standard desserts no matter where I lived or where I was visiting.

I don't think boiled peanuts are very popular in MO, I didn't really notice them in TN or WV either. I've always thought of them as a lowland southern thing (LA, MS, AL, GA, SC).

BBQ in Missouri is a big deal. I think this past year MO was the third largest pork producing state. I don't remember who was first, probably Iowa.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:33 PM

What's the best lake for fishing? I have heard the most about Table Rock as far as bass fishing. I don't know much about Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Lake.

In SC we have 11 big lakes, 5 of which are 50,000 acres or more.

Right now the hottest lake is probably Lake Hartwell, which is 56,000 acres and is shared with Georgia. In 2002 the state record striped bass came from Hartwell. Bass and catfish are great too. In 2008 Lake Hartwell was the site of the Bassmaster Classic.
Some images: http://www.hartwelllakeproperties.co...wellAerial.jpg -lake and the dam
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/img/striper02.jpg - state record striped bass
http://www.marcomagic.com/hartlmap_corps.gif -lake map

Last edited by senecaman; 10-28-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
Idk, seems like pies, cakes, and cookies were the standard desserts no matter where I lived or where I was visiting.

I don't think boiled peanuts are very popular in MO, I didn't really notice them in TN or WV either. I've always thought of them as a lowland southern thing (LA, MS, AL, GA, SC).

BBQ in Missouri is a big deal. I think this past year MO was the third largest pork producing state. I don't remember who was first, probably Iowa.
Makes sense about the boiled peanuts-those states you mentioned and NC are the peanut belt.

As far as bbq are ribs more popular than pulled pork? Lots of joints in SC will have both pulled pork and ribs but overall it's the pulled pork that's most popular. The big divide between the upstate and the lowcountry is that in the upstate pork shoulders are most popular and in the lowcountry whole hog bbq is most popular. Now from what I can see in Tennessee ribs are the big deal. Some time ago I was over in Knoxville for 4 days and I ate at a different rib joint each night. The town is full of them.

Last edited by senecaman; 10-28-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Whether Missouri is Northern or Southern depends strictly on whom you meet. I think it's an attitude more than fact. Around Kansas City, I found too many still fighting the War Between the States. I've not run into that in St Louis at all.
That's so true. The Kansas City area has a very bloody and unusual Civil War history (unlike any other in the nation). The war wasn't fought here for 4 years. --It lasted almost 20 years (from 1854 to 1875), starting as a border war with the Yankees across the state line in Kansas. The war in Kansas City was fought in 3 stages:

1. A border war with Kansas (1854-1861) (See Bleeding Kansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
2. The actual Civil War (1861-1865)
3. About 10 years of civil lawlessness, settling grudges and getting revenge. (1865-1875)

The war still has a huge impact on Kansas City's cultural.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:54 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
I lived in central and northern Florida and I 100% disagree that CFL is any bit southern. Anyone who tells you that central Florida is southern is just trying to cling to the good ol days, I promise. North Florida is not any more southern than Georgia.

I don't know the words to describe Florida because it's legitimately that strange, it's the southern most point of the continental US but it's not truly southern. Go anywhere south of Ocala and you'll lose the "southern vibe" reallll quick.

I suspect there's a reason why people from other southern states rarely move to FL, or at least, that's how it always seemed to me. I rarely met people from TN, NC, GA, LA, etc. who moved to FL. They often visited for the beaches, but I think they were always happy to return to their home state, lol.
I've lived in Tampa, Lakeland, and Jacksonville. The whole state of Florida is Southern. Even Miami has Southern undertones, but the Latin American flare is so overwhelming you don't notice it off hand.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I've lived in Tampa, Lakeland, and Jacksonville. The whole state of Florida is Southern. Even Miami has Southern undertones, but the Latin American flare is so overwhelming you don't notice it off hand.
My mother - a fourth generation Floridian - moved to Indiana a few years after marrying my father. She used to say "These Yankees use enough sugar in one lemon pie to make six".

Another quote from a Texas friend: "You can tell a Northerner from a Southerner by what they call that war. Northerners say "Civil War". Southerners say "War Between the States".

Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 AM

213 posts, read 322,643 times
Missouri is a Midwestern state with Southern influence. THe Southern half of the state may look similar to the south in appearance but this is only a half true. The upper quarter of the southern half of the state is a transition zone between the Midwest and South, while the lower 25% is Southern. The majority of Missouri has more in common with its fellow Midwestern states than with Southern ones. There was a thread about this very topic..."Missouri...Southern or Midwestern?". This is really getting redundant folks. Having visited the South extensively, I can tell you that without a doubt that most of Missouri isn't Southern. It has Southern influences.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:03 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
There was a thread about this very topic..."Missouri...Southern or Midwestern?". This is really getting redundant folks. Having visited the South extensively, I can tell you that without a doubt that most of Missouri isn't Southern. It has Southern influences.
Reduntant, yes. But I find it refreshing that the topic can be discussed amongst those who apparently do not represent a 'cause' or bring an agenda to the table - and therefore can carry on a civil conversation.

Very refreshing.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
What's the best lake for fishing? I have heard the most about Table Rock as far as bass fishing. I don't know much about Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Lake.

In SC we have 11 big lakes, 5 of which are 50,000 acres or more.

Right now the hottest lake is probably Lake Hartwell, which is 56,000 acres and is shared with Georgia. In 2002 the state record striped bass came from Hartwell. Bass and catfish are great too. In 2008 Lake Hartwell was the site of the Bassmaster Classic.
Some images: http://www.hartwelllakeproperties.co...wellAerial.jpg -lake and the dam
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/img/striper02.jpg - state record striped bass
http://www.marcomagic.com/hartlmap_corps.gif -lake map
My family always heads down to Kentucky Lake to do some fishing. Everyone always talks about fried catfish, but it doesn't hold a candle to fried crappie.

Quote:
Just got done watching high school football highlights on the news. My hs got crushed as usual. lol
HS football is a big deal in South Carolina. Is it big in Missouri?
My alma mater is definitely a football school. Almost all of the businesses in town have something showing their support. The town basically shuts down on Friday nights in the fall for home football games. But not every town in Missouri is like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri