Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like living in Missouri?
Love it! 24 64.86%
It's okay. 9 24.32%
Hate it! 6 16.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 PM

978 posts, read 2,041,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Born and Bred View Post

If there is anything you think M0 needs to change for better (roads, taxes, laws, smoking ban, for examples), what would it be?
I don't hate on smokers, but I personally dislike cigarette smoke. Luckily Columbia bans it inside so I don't have to smell it. Having a statewide ban would be okay with me.

I wish MO would re-do their DMV system. Allow drivers license renewals online or have a little machine in the office like some states have. I also don't like the vehicle inspection program. Lastly, being able to renew license plates online would be nice (only some counties allow it).

Sales tax could be lower, but at least the income tax is pretty low. I find personal property tax to be high as well. The gas tax is low too, one of the lowest in the nation I believe.

These are really the only complaints I have about MO (my list on NC would be terribly long). I do have more complaints about Columbia, which is why I decided that I will move elsewhere in MO or to another state (only if I have to) after I finish my MA. Ideally, I would like to stay north of I-70.

Overall, I really like MO. The people are nice, cost of living is low, it's not too crowded, there are rural and busy areas, there's a nice mix of liberal and conservative, lots to do outdoors, good gun laws, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,819,909 times
I understand the need for vehicle safety inspections. Unfortunately, the ones they perform are pointless.
Personal property taxes are just an unnecessary exercise in state funding pettiness and complexity. Thankfully, those taxes, in addition to regular property taxes, don't even come close to being as much as some states charge on property taxes alone.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:45 PM

80 posts, read 204,732 times
In response to GunnerTHB and northbound74, I was actually wrong. After research, the only natural lake in entire state of Missouri is Creve Coeur Lake Memorial Park in Maryland Heights, which is an oxbow. That surprises me!

That is awesome because I do not have to drive far from St. Louis for fishing or recreational opportunities. Does anybody know if Creve Coeur Lake have pedal boats or water bikes available for rentals?

The largest man-made reservoir in the state is Truman Lake between Clinton and Warsaw.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM

80 posts, read 204,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I don't hate on smokers, but I personally dislike cigarette smoke. Luckily Columbia bans it inside so I don't have to smell it. Having a statewide ban would be okay with me.

I wish MO would re-do their DMV system. Allow drivers license renewals online or have a little machine in the office like some states have. I also don't like the vehicle inspection program. Lastly, being able to renew license plates online would be nice (only some counties allow it).

Sales tax could be lower, but at least the income tax is pretty low. I find personal property tax to be high as well. The gas tax is low too, one of the lowest in the nation I believe.

These are really the only complaints I have about MO (my list on NC would be terribly long). I do have more complaints about Columbia, which is why I decided that I will move elsewhere in MO or to another state (only if I have to) after I finish my MA. Ideally, I would like to stay north of I-70.

Overall, I really like MO. The people are nice, cost of living is low, it's not too crowded, there are rural and busy areas, there's a nice mix of liberal and conservative, lots to do outdoors, good gun laws, etc.
I don't hate on smokers either but hate the smell. I went to a bowling alley in Cape Girardeau, MO with my distant cousins and I was surprised to see smoking allowed inside. I hope most of MO isn't like that, especially in St. Louis Metro Area where I am considering a move there.

I am used to outdated DMV with vehicle inspections because we have them in Mississippi also. Inspection isn't expensive to me. I understand it can be costly if you don't maintain your vehicle.

Nothing is wrong with low taxes, especially income tax. At least, property tax in MO isn't high like the neighboring state of Illinois because I heard IL has one of the top 10 highest in the country. How high are we talking about in MO annually?

In Mississippi, my parents pay an average of $982 for their 1,686 sq. ft. 3 bedrooms 2 baths house in a subdivision. How much will that cost in St. Louis County or surrounding counties? Just curious.

I have heard of similiar complaints about Columbia. The city is strongly revolving around Mizzou and can be too much of a party town if you are not a student there. Is that mainly your complaint?

Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,828,039 times
I used to live in Maryland Heights and I'm pretty sure they don't have waterbikes or paddle boats for rent at Creve Coeur Lake (at least I've never seen any). I know for certain they have canoes and kayaks though!

There is a small lake in Forest Park where you can rent paddle boats if that's your thing

Either way, Creve Coeur Lake Park is beautiful!

Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,828,039 times
As for property tax, it is higher here than some states but not as high as in others. The low COL overall and high QOL offset it

I have a 3 bed, 3 bath, 2200sqft home on half an acre in St. Louis County and we just paid $1702 and change this year.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I don't hate on smokers either but hate the smell. I went to a bowling alley in Cape Girardeau, MO with my distant cousins and I was surprised to see smoking allowed inside. I hope most of MO isn't like that, especially in St. Louis Metro Area where I am considering a move there.

I am used to outdated DMV with vehicle inspections because we have them in Mississippi also. Inspection isn't expensive to me. I understand it can be costly if you don't maintain your vehicle.

Nothing is wrong with low taxes, especially income tax. At least, property tax in MO isn't high like the neighboring state of Illinois because I heard IL has one of the top 10 highest in the country. How high are we talking about in MO annually?

In Mississippi, my parents pay an average of $982 for their 1,686 sq. ft. 3 bedrooms 2 baths house in a subdivision. How much will that cost in St. Louis County or surrounding counties? Just curious.

I have heard of similiar complaints about Columbia. The city is strongly revolving around Mizzou and can be too much of a party town if you are not a student there. Is that mainly your complaint?
In the Kansas City area, our annual taxes were about 800-900. Family in southern MO pay only 400 or so for a large house on about 2 acres.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
In response to GunnerTHB and northbound74, I was actually wrong. After research, the only natural lake in entire state of Missouri is Creve Coeur Lake Memorial Park in Maryland Heights, which is an oxbow. That surprises me!

That is awesome because I do not have to drive far from St. Louis for fishing or recreational opportunities. Does anybody know if Creve Coeur Lake have pedal boats or water bikes available for rentals?

The largest man-made reservoir in the state is Truman Lake between Clinton and Warsaw.
Big Lake (original, I know) and Cooley Lake are a couple oxbow lakes over on the Kansas City side of Missouri. There might be more, but these are a part of the state park and conservation systems.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 PM

978 posts, read 2,041,005 times
Quote:
How high are we talking about in MO annually?

I do not own a home here, but I paid about $130 for property tax on my Toyota Corolla that's worth around $7500 private resell. That's about $20 more than I paid in NC two years ago.

Taxes seem highly dependent on county. Boone county (Columbia), and counties around KC and STL have high taxes. More rural counties, even counties right outside of Boone county have significantly lower tax rates.

I like Columbia because it's not too crowded and the traffic is a lot better than larger cities. However, I really dislike how the city is run as a whole. The crime also seems to be getting worse here. I wouldn't be unhappy here permanently, but there are other places I'd rather live. Right outside of Columbia, like Boonville, Mexico, Fayette, Kingdom City are more to my liking.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,394,614 times
Been all over the U.S. Missouri has always been home. Remember when Stockton and Truman lakes weren't there, Osage and Sac Rivers were nice back then.

Smoking, smoked for years and enjoyed it. Smoking Bans hurt business in areas where it is, just drives people to places there is none.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri