Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I guess that's why it was called bloody Missouri, here we are 150 years later and still arguing over to be north or south......
Fact is there were southern sympathizers in northern Missouri and Union loyalist in Southern Missouri.. She was a fractured state, and it sounds like it still is.....
Wasn't the blood related reference in the Civil War called "Bleeding Kansas?"

MO is still a fractured state but it's really more fractured on an urban/not urban basis rather than on north/south lines.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 AM

536 posts, read 830,177 times
Quote:
I guess that's why it was called bloody Missouri, here we are 150 years later and still arguing over to be north or south......
Fact is there were southern sympathizers in northern Missouri and Union loyalist in Southern Missouri.. She was a fractured state, and it sounds like it still is.....
Not really. I have friends and family all over Missouri, North South East and West, and I don't know a single person that gives two sh*ts about this argument. Only time I ever see it mentioned is when I read this board.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
There are definitely anti-rural biases in St. Louis and also anti-St. Louis biases in parts of rural Missouri. I don't know if it at all lingers from those days or if it is just a natural city versus rural bias. You pick up some of that in Illinois with Chicago versus the downstaters and vice-versa.

I've picked up the anti-St. Louis bias pretty strong with some (not all) people I've met from Springfield. Perhaps it's more cultural.

Last edited by MUTGR; 01-12-2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 06:12 PM

MUTGR, the bias against St. Louis in rural MO is because they try to make laws to restrict what we do and try to get us to pay more money for things solely in their city. If they'd keep out of our business we'd be fine.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:17 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
MUTGR, the bias against St. Louis in rural MO is because they try to make laws to restrict what we do and try to get us to pay more money for things solely in their city. If they'd keep out of our business we'd be fine.
I don't think Missouri should adopt the anti-urban attitude that Kansas has. That has not worked out so well given out-migration trends. People would move to smaller cities and rural areas if greater opportunities exist. You only have a certain percentage of people that completely like rural living that don't already live there. That trend isn't likely to change

Old 01-12-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't think Missouri should adopt the anti-urban attitude that Kansas has. That has not worked out so well given out-migration trends. People would move to smaller cities and rural areas if greater opportunities exist. You only have a certain percentage of people that completely like rural living that don't already live there. That trend isn't likely to change
We don't need more ex-city-dwellers in the rural areas. That does not improve the rural areas; it either turns them into yet more suburbia (you guys just have to have a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods in order to feel "civilized") or you try to ban us from doing things we like to do like shooting and hunting. And you poke fun at what we like to do. You can stay in the cities; we'll do fine by ourselves.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
We don't need more ex-city-dwellers in the rural areas. That does not improve the rural areas; it either turns them into yet more suburbia (you guys just have to have a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods in order to feel "civilized") or you try to ban us from doing things we like to do like shooting and hunting. And you poke fun at what we like to do. You can stay in the cities; we'll do fine by ourselves.
You must fit in well in South Dakota.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You must fit in well in South Dakota.
Actually I do. The people there are pretty similar to most non-urban Missourians- nice, hard-working, and want to have the folks from the cities (in SD's case it's "The Cities") leave them alone.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 AM

42 posts, read 65,333 times
^Stop shoving your low wage theocracy down our throats. We're not southern and have no desire to be.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:36 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pknitty86 View Post
^Stop shoving your low wage theocracy down our throats. We're not southern and have no desire to be.
That's the problem with you people. Someone asks y'all to just leave them be, and you act like we are pushing our views on you. How is wanting to be left to live our way in peace shoving anything down your throats? Only in a delusional world does that make any sense. The truth is, a lot of Americans today harbor hatred and malice toward anyone who does not agree with them, and take someone's different opinions as a personal affront. That will lead nowhere good, and we had better get past it, or we will all hurt for it. We are not asking anyone to live like we do, but we are not going to tolerate anyone forcing us to live as they wish, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri