U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,547,476 times
Hmmmm, I really do not notice the air quality in St. Louis as being bad! I have been in other locations where the air is considerably worse. Maybe certain areas such as north city????
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 10:13 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,682,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Hmmmm, I really do not notice the air quality in St. Louis as being bad! I have been in other locations where the air is considerably worse. Maybe certain areas such as north city????
To clarify the air quality might not be "that" bad, but coal plants are definitely not clean. Most plants are concentrated closer to larger metro areas in Missouri. Coal provides around 85% of the total energy needs in Missouri for use in generating electricity. This is way above average compared with many other states. Also there is no such thing as "clean coal" Sorry about the rant, but I have seen a coal plant near Lawrence, KS that was originially built over 50 years ago. Those dinosaur plants are "grandfathered" in for a certain number of years. Coal plants are responsible for most of the mercury emissions found in the environment which is why no one should be eating any fish caught in water bodies in Missouri.
For more information:
http://www.cleartheair.org/dirtypower/map.html (broken link)

<End Rant>

Old 12-13-2007, 11:50 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,865,392 times
No, those are good points. I didn't know that Missouri relies on coal so heavily for its electricity needs. Gosh, I could probably start a whole new thread and an accompanying flame war to boot, but why not more nuclear energy? It just seems like so many of those who are wailing the loudest over our impending doom and destruction from global warming are the ones most vociferously opposed to nuclear power. OK, so no nuclear plants right next to the New Madrid fault. But does anyone know if the Callaway nuclear plant has ever had any real difficulties?

My understanding is that we have the technology to recycle no less than 97 percent of our nuclear waste. European countries like France and Germany derive a much higher percentage of their electrical needs from nuclear power plants than the United States. Why can't it be the same in America, and specifically in Missouri? Some New England states like Vermont I believe get nearly 50 percent of their electricity from nuclear plants compared to nearly 80 percent in France. In Missouri it's much less--something like 15 to 20 percent. I didn't get the chance to visit Weston on my trip to western MO this past September, but the coal plant there doesn't sound terribly pleasant.

Thread drift, I admit. It's coming up on 11 pm here, and I need to get up early tomorrow. But I will be back with an on-topic post here soon!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:37 AM

880 posts, read 1,779,324 times
Default Left and came back

We moved to Mo (Eureka) from San Jose CA for work in the early 80's. Loved the area we were in and would have stayed if it wasn't for work. The job situation took us back to CA for several years. After several subsequent moves we ended up in Las Vegas (about 18 miles NW of the strip) for 5 years. Living in the desert wasn't our cup of tea...too hot, too windy, too dusty. Las Vegas, away from the strip, is like any other big city and we wanted something with trees, etc. Our hearts were always partly in MO anyway, so we moved back this year and haven't been sorry for one second. The cost of living is less, the air cleaner, and the general lifestyle more relaxed. Lots of trees, water, lakes, etc. EXACTLY what we were looking for (although we still miss Trader Joe's).

Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 AM

14,965 posts, read 19,682,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
No, those are good points. I didn't know that Missouri relies on coal so heavily for its electricity needs. Gosh, I could probably start a whole new thread and an accompanying flame war to boot, but why not more nuclear energy? It just seems like so many of those who are wailing the loudest over our impending doom and destruction from global warming are the ones most vociferously opposed to nuclear power. OK, so no nuclear plants right next to the New Madrid fault. But does anyone know if the Callaway nuclear plant has ever had any real difficulties?

My understanding is that we have the technology to recycle no less than 97 percent of our nuclear waste. European countries like France and Germany derive a much higher percentage of their electrical needs from nuclear power plants than the United States. Why can't it be the same in America, and specifically in Missouri? Some New England states like Vermont I believe get nearly 50 percent of their electricity from nuclear plants compared to nearly 80 percent in France. In Missouri it's much less--something like 15 to 20 percent. I didn't get the chance to visit Weston on my trip to western MO this past September, but the coal plant there doesn't sound terribly pleasant.

Thread drift, I admit. It's coming up on 11 pm here, and I need to get up early tomorrow. But I will be back with an on-topic post here soon!
I read an article recently that stated that several new nuclear power plant permits are scheduled to be either approved or not approved over the next several months. Many are re-examining nuclear because of the massive carbon dioxide emissions that coal plants generate along with other nasty things like SO2, NO2, and mercury.

I know, thread drift I am guilty

Old 01-23-2008, 02:57 PM

23 posts, read 55,397 times
I grew up in a VERY VERY small town in Mo--I had a fantastic childhood and wonderful friends, but I always thought there had to be "more" out there...

By the time I met my husband, I wanted nothing more than to go anywhere else. We lived in Ft. Leonard Wood Mo, then Ft. Drum, NY--then he got out of the army and we moved to his hometown in NE Pennsylvania. We built a house--we've lived here for 8 years. And I don't know anybody.
The people here are so private and "closed". They are not friendly--if you did not grow up here, they are not interested in knowing you. (Yes, I realize that I am generalizing an entire population, but it's been my overwhelming experience).

Then I visit my hometown--and even though it's been 15 years since I've lived there, people greet me in the grocery store like I've never left. There's more of a sense of community. My family is there. And..I don't want to die here. Who would come to my funeral? Only a few friends and my husband's family. Ack. Morbid..sorry...

Old 01-23-2008, 06:44 PM

537 posts, read 782,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
It seems there are many on the threads here that at one time lived in MO, moved somewhere else and then decided that they wanted to return. I for one, never moved out of state in my entire life. I traveled in my day to CA, New York, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, etc.,etc.,etc., and like what seems to be an endless supply of entertainment and things to do and places to go. Fun exciting places and gobs and gobs of single folk. I've knwn quite a few peers of mine that went off to those destinations just for that reason. Is it the TV shows that show the glamor? You know the ones... They live right in the trendy neighborhood in a huge apartment, eat out/go out every single night to places where every single person looks like a model, and never seem to have to work or pay bills. Unrealistic. More realistic would be working 2+ jobs just to get by and living in a cramped apartment, and spending way more time in traffic than at the beach, club, or wherever. Would you really have the time or money to take advantage of all the city amenities? The people I know that live in the bigger cities live a more stressful life than what's portrayed in the media.

A few years ago, I thought about selling my place, packing my bags and moving to a more exciting place like Vegas or Phoenix and just start a new chapter in life. I changed my mind after a visit. I found out I couldn't even get a 1500 square foot home on a 60x60 lot for what I could sell my home and 50 acres for. Quite a trade-off! And another thing, the homes don't even have basements! No room for storage except for the garage so the neighborhoods looked more like parking lots on the streets and driveways.
The air was filthy and looked nothing like the postcard pics.

Looks like I'm not going anywhere except for vacations.
You've got the right idea! I don't know what it is with expensive small houses and no basements in the west but I tell ya it sucks! The house we currently live in is just a little over 1100 sq ft on a city lot, and we can get 10+ acres and a 3000+ sq ft. house in Missouri for the same price, and the best part is I finally get a basement, yahoo!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:06 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,936,275 times
I met my first husband, and moved to Louisville when we married. Louisville was nice, but not like Mo.
When we divorced, my mom had moved to Florida, so I moved to be with her, not ever thinking that I would not move back to Mo eventually.
20 years, another husband, and a child later, I am still in Fl, and despise it.
I am working on DH to move to Mo when he retires. I come home at least once a year, but its not enough. DH is 20 years away from retiring, I really want to buy a place to come spend summers, am working on that, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri