Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,618,441 times

Advertisements

BUG INVASIONS IN MISSOURI

Every few years someplace in Missouri gets invaded by a new kind of bug or gets swarmed by millions of existing ones. I can remember back in the early 80s when we had a cricket invasion where I used to live. You could hear them everywhere outside at night and find the dead bodies during the day where spiders or something was gnawing on them. One night I got out of bed because the chirping was so loud in my house and when I turned on the light in my living room I found out why. There were about 7 or 8 crickets in a perfect 10 inch circle in the middle of my living room floor all facing a single cricket that was in the center of the circle. This old cat I had back then was about 3 feet from them staring wide-eyed and looked up at me as if to say "What's up with them?" The weird thing was that they never shut up as I approached, they just kept stroking their fiddles, maybe it was some kind of courting ritual. I sucked them all up in the vacuum cleaner and as I was putting the vacuum away I saw two more that just came in from under the crack of my front door. I opened the door and told them the concert was over and swept them out with a broom. I then covered the bottom of my door with a strip of duct tape. The next day I picked up a weather strip from the hardware store and when I pulled off the duct tape there was a cricket stuck to the other side. Another place I lived at had a frog invasion one summer, they were all over the place, dead ones were squished in the driveways and streets, I can't remember how many I stepped on. They were all about the same size, about as big as a fist. My dog would always start barking when he found one in his water bowl. One night I had a cousin and his wife come to visit and I went out to meet them in the driveway. As soon as they got out of their car the frogs were jumping all over them and my cousin said "What the hell?" When it was time for them to leave his wife was afraid to go outside. It reminded me of an old Outer Limits episode where a couple are stranded in the desert and get attacked by thousands of frogs, rocks and tumbleweeds. The following year there weren't any frogs at all in my neighborhood. There are a bunch of stories on the internet about bugs invading Missouri, here are a few:

The Kissing Bug

The deadly ‘kissing bug’ is now spreading across the United States | FOX2now.com

Ladybug Like Bugs

Ladybug-like bugs infesting Missouri homes | Local News - Home

Stink Bugs

Here Come the Stink Bugs « CBS St. Louis

Cicadas

Two Groups of Cicadas Ready to Emerge Across Missouri « CBS St. Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:37 PM

MISSOURI DEATH STATISTICS

From 1980 through 2013 there have been 1,075 heat related deaths in Missouri.

From 1959-2012 there have been 97 deaths in Missouri attributed to lightning.

From January 3, 1950 to December 23, 2015 there have been 2,192 tornadoes causing 426 fatalities in Missouri.

There were 880 shooting deaths in Missouri in 2013. Missouri ranked 5th behind Alaska, Louisiana, Wyoming and Tennessee for states with the highest shooting deaths. Missouri's gun deaths have outpaced its vehicle deaths three years in a row.

760 people died in vehicle crashes in Missouri in 2014.

850 people died in vehicle crashes in Missouri in 2015.

29 people drowned in Missouri in 2014.

58 people drowned in Missouri in 2015.

In 2015 there were 78 home fires reported by the media in Missouri.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:29 PM

Runaway Elephants In St.Louis

Runaway Circus Elephants Damage Cars Near St. Louis - ABC News

Boyhood Home Of Vincent Price

The Sound of Vincent Price: Vincentennial: Your Guide to the Vincent Price Landmarks of St Louis

Boyhood Home Of Chuck Berry

Chuck Berry's St. Louis Homes and Properties Before He Was Rich and Famous [Photos] | Music Blog | St. Louis News and Events | Riverfront Times

Chuck Berry's Guitar Gets Stolen

3 Arrested For Stealing Guitar From Chuck Berry’s Home | FOX2now.com

Old 06-23-2016, 11:31 AM

PERFORMERS FIRST VISITS TO ST.LOUIS

The Monkees August 4, 1967 Kiel

A 16 year old girl stowed away on their plane on their trip to St.Louis and her father threatened to sue for transporting a minor across state lines.

The Beatles August 21, 1966 Busch Stadium

After a rainy performance Paul McCartney decides not to do anymore tours.

The Rolling Stones July 12, 1966 Kiel

It was a hot steamy night and only 3000 fans showed up.

Jimi Hendrix November 3, 1968 Kiel

Jimi started playing the chords to "Foxy Lady" and some guy shouted out the title of the song and Hendrix stopped playing and said, "Shut up (F word) I know what I'm doing."

Elvis Presley March 29, 1957 Kiel

A week earlier Elvis made headlines when he pulled a toy gun on a marine who was bugging him in Memphis.

The Who August 25, 1967 Kiel

http://www.whocollection.com/August251967S.jpg

The Doors November 9, 1968 Kiel

The Doors | St. Louis - Kiel Auditorium 1968

Old 06-24-2016, 09:05 AM

List Of Battles In Missouri

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ht_in_Missouri

Missouri State Fair

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_State_Fair

1960s Missouri

These 15 Photos of Missouri In The 1960s Are Mesmerizing | Only In Your State

Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
The Ozarks have been called an area of "arrested development." That was one of the draws for us which caused us to move 2,000 miles from the 'progressive' left coast. It was and remains like having moved back to America. The mantra here seems to be, "Go ahead -- but not too far, not too fast!"

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-24-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The Ozarks have been called an area of "arrested development." That was one of the draws for us which caused us to move 2,000 miles from the 'progressive' left coast. It was and remains like having moved back to America. The mantra here seems to be, "Go ahead -- but not too far, not too fast!"
I found it to be very peaceful the few times I've been down there.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:37 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
Every few years someplace in Missouri gets invaded by a new kind of bug or gets swarmed by millions of existing ones. I can remember back in the early 80s when we had a cricket invasion where I used to live. You could hear them everywhere outside at night and find the dead bodies during the day where spiders or something was gnawing on them. One night I got out of bed because the chirping was so loud in my house and when I turned on the light in my living room I found out why. There were about 7 or 8 crickets in a perfect 10 inch circle in the middle of my living room floor all facing a single cricket that was in the center of the circle. This old cat I had back then was about 3 feet from them staring wide-eyed and looked up at me as if to say "What's up with them?" The weird thing was that they never shut up as I approached, they just kept stroking their fiddles, maybe it was some kind of courting ritual. I sucked them all up in the vacuum cleaner and as I was putting the vacuum away I saw two more that just came in from under the crack of my front door. I opened the door and told them the concert was over and swept them out with a broom. I then covered the bottom of my door with a strip of duct tape. The next day I picked up a weather strip from the hardware store and when I pulled off the duct tape there was a cricket stuck to the other side. Another place I lived at had a frog invasion one summer, they were all over the place, dead ones were squished in the driveways and streets, I can't remember how many I stepped on. They were all about the same size, about as big as a fist. My dog would always start barking when he found one in his water bowl. One night I had a cousin and his wife come to visit and I went out to meet them in the driveway. As soon as they got out of their car the frogs were jumping all over them and my cousin said "What the hell?" When it was time for them to leave his wife was afraid to go outside. It reminded me of an old Outer Limits episode where a couple are stranded in the desert and get attacked by thousands of frogs, rocks and tumbleweeds. The following year there weren't any frogs at all in my neighborhood. There are a bunch of stories on the internet about bugs invading Missouri, here are a few:

The Kissing Bug

Ahh, yes. The toad outside the back door to the hospital here in SW Kansas. I was heading outside for some fresh air the other night and the automatic sliding glass door opened up. I stepped outside and almost stepped on this small, fist-sized toad, with red/brown and white markings on him. He just sat there all cute and everything with his two little eyes looking straight ahead. Didn't move.

As I came back in the back door a bit later, I walked past him again. As the sliding door started to close, I turned around to say "Watch out!" I didn't want the door to close on him! A nurse stepping out the door said "I know, you don't want the door to hit him, right?"

"No."

"He lives there - that's his home."

She shooed him away lightly with her foot - he didn't want to move.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:15 PM

^^^^^ A hospital is a good place to be when you feel like you're gonna croak.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
^^^^^ A hospital is a good place to be when you feel like you're gonna croak.
Can't rep you again but very clever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri