Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 08:38 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,410,296 times

Advertisements

Famous Barr, Headquartered in St.Louis was the first department store in the United States to have air conditioning.

Missouri does get hot - hot - hot! And has a liberal coating of ticks in the woods, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 AM

10,000 posts, read 8,497,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Famous Barr, Headquartered in St.Louis was the first department store in the United States to have air conditioning.

Missouri does get hot - hot - hot! And has a liberal coating of ticks in the woods, too.
Yes, we are also famous for ticks, and not just the nervous kind.

'Heartland' Virus Discovered in Sick Missouri Farmers : Discovery News

Old 05-01-2016, 08:15 PM

Kansas City Missouri has more miles of freeway per capita than any metro area with more than 1 million residents.

The very first monster truck "Bigfoot" came from Hazelwood Missouri.

Blue Springs Missouri is home to the world's shortest St.Patrick's Day parade which only goes across the street.

St.Louisans consume more barbecue sauce per capita than any other city in America. (That reminds me, my jug's almost empty, I need to pick up some more.)

The state rock is the Mozarkite
The state animal is the mule
The state insect is the honey bee

Valentine Tapley, of Pike County Missouri, swore he would never shave again if Abraham Lincoln was elected. He died 50 years later with a beard 12 ft 6 inches long. If you Google his picture it looks like he has a long rope tied around his neck.

St.Louis is home to the tallest chess piece, a 15 foot tall white king.

The very first drive-thru window was at a restaurant in Springfield Missouri in 1947.

Susan Elizabeth Blow of St.Louis started the country's first kindergarten.

The largest ball of twine weighing 13,000 lbs is in Branson Missouri

The largest dog biscuit was created in Joplin Missouri.

The Rohn Tower in Syracuse Missouri is 2000 feet high and is tied with 19 others for 7th place as the worlds tallest structure.

The world's first Segway track was built in Branson Missouri.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,410,296 times

A buddy at college in Rolla, MO, pulled a tick out of my back and I pulled one out of my Pomeranian, Abby. They're awful there in Missouri!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

A buddy at college in Rolla, MO, pulled a tick out of my back and I pulled one out of my Pomeranian, Abby. They're awful there in Missouri!
I used to watch this wildlife show on Saturday morning that had this guy, kind of like the Crocodile Hunter, that seemed real fearless. He would go in the tall weeds and bring out a venomous snake to show the cameraman or he and another guy would go into a swamp and grab hold of a large alligator and bring it out and study it. Once I saw him walk into a cage with mountain lions and give them meat. I remember thinking that he was the bravest fool I ever saw until he did an episode where he came out of some woods and the cameraman told him he had a big tick on the back of his neck. He went into a panic and yanked his shirt off and was screaming at the cameraman " Do I have anymore...are there anymore on me?" He sat down and pulled off his shoes and was scanning his feet and legs for more ticks. He had 4 ticks in a jar he was displaying and said, " The only things I cannot deal with are ticks and spiders." He must have realized he was in the wrong profession because I haven't seen his show in years.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:57 PM

Ex-CIA officer having one of the largest homes in the United States built in Highlandville, Missouri. 72,215 square feet. It will be earthquake resistant,bullet proof,blast proof,tornado resistant,bug resistant,fire resistant and capable of withstanding an EF5 tornado.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensmore

Kansas City Fire Department originated with the formation of volunteer bucket brigades as early as 1858. They got their first paid fire department in 1867 and Colonel Frank Foster was elected its first chief.

History of the St.Louis Fire Department

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/governmen...y-timeline.cfm

Joyce C Hall Kansas City Missouri founder of Hallmark cards.

The first theatre in St.Louis to be built expressly for first run motion pictures was the Grand Central at Grand and Lucas which opened in 1913.

In 1898 John S Thurman of St.Louis invented a gas-powered vacuum cleaner. (I was curious to see how many people were asphyxiated but it was a different kind of vacuum cleaner than I expected, it was pulled by horses and operated outside.)

https://prezi.com/kyx2q1b_9n0_/john-thurman/

The Capital building In Jefferson city burned to the ground in 1837 and its replacement burned to the ground in 1911.

The ice cream cone is the official state dessert.

Missouri has an official state dinosaur. The Hypsibema Missouriense was a duck-billed dinosaur that had over 1000 teeth and was first discovered near Glen Allen, Missouri in 1942.

The 1980s cartoon "Voltron" was produced by World Events Production, a St.Louis company.

Until recently there had only been two confirmed fatal snakebites in Missouri, one in 1933 from a timber rattlesnake and the other in 1965 from a copperhead. There have been a few more over the past few years.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:30 AM

Jenny Lind and PT Barnum come to St.Louis in 1851

NEWS11 Remembers: Jenny Lind | kplr11.com

The Marble Lady from Kansas City Missouri

About The Marble Lady

Escape Artist Calls Missouri Home

World Record Escape Artist calls Missouri home | KHQA

Largest Snake In Captivity Kansas City Missouri

Medusa - World's Largest Snake - Home

Worlds Largest Hot Dog Cart Washington Missouri
Marcus "Hot Dog Man" Daily of Washington Missouri made it into the 2016 Guinness World Records book for creating the world's largest hot dog cart. 9 feet 3 inches wide, 23 feet 2 inches long and 12 feet 2.75 inches high.

World record for the longest marathon basketball game was in St.Louis in 2012 when Joplin beat St.Louis 11,806 to 11,620 after playing for 112 hours and 13 seconds.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:47 AM

The Jefferson Hotel in St.Louis was built for the Worlds Fair in 1904. Harry Truman, Woodrow Wilson, Enrico Caruso and Mary Pickford were among some of the famous people who stayed there. It closed in 1975 and is now just another vacant building.

Rudolph Valentino performs in St.Louis Feb 1923.

The Mineralava Tour

THE MOST DECORATED SOLDIER IN THE MIDWEST
That title was given to John L Barkley of Holden, Missouri for his actions during WWI.

barkley.html

Prizefighter John L Sullivan pitched 5 innings in an exhibition game for the St.Louis Browns.

John L Sullivan and John Mahan were arrested after a two day exhibition at The People's Theatre in St.Louis November 6, 1883 for violating a state law prohibiting public sparring and boxing exhibitions.

3 Stooges in St.Louis 1961

St. Louis Police Circus 1961 8mm Film featuring The Three Stooges - CP - Fun & Music Videos

Laurel & Hardy came to St.Louis in 1940 as part of their tour.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:06 PM

Missouri has more black walnut trees than any other state.
Missouri has more puppy mills than any other state.
Missouri has the largest lead smelter in the United States.
Missouri did lead the nation in meth labs but I think Indiana now has that honor.

4000-6000 venomous recluse spiders take over couple's home

Thousands of venomous spiders force family from upscale Missouri home - CBS News

(That story is a couple of years old, I never did find out what became of that house. Anybody buy it ?)

Mountain Lions Are Visiting Missouri

| The Kansas City Star

Bears are making more appearances.

About - MO Black Bears

Turkey hunter calls for turkey but gets bobcat instead.

Missouri Turkey Hunter Attacked by Bobcat | The Venatic

Bigfoot and other strange creature sightings in Missouri

Missouri Bigfoot & Cryptid Sighting Reports

Alleged UFO crash in Cape Girardeau 1941

https://www.earthfiles.com/news.php?ID=2402

Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 PM

The first North American city north of Mexico was Cahokia.

Cahokia: North America's First City

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia

The state bird is the bluebird

In 1910, the Kansas City Livestock Exchange was built in Kansas city Missouri and at that time was the largest building in the world devoted solely to livestock.

July 9, 1878 An improved corncob pipe was patented by Henry Tibbe in Washington, Missouri.

The history of Reddi-Wip whipped cream

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddi-wip

June 22, 1874 Dr.Andrew T Sill of Macon, Missouri founded osteopathy.

The first newspaper west of the Mississippi was in St.Louis in 1808 founded by an Irish refugee named Joseph Charles. He was financed by the local territorial governor Meriwether Lewis. Lewis committed suicide the following year.

In 1871 a glass plant was built in a Missouri town that was named Crystal City. In 1895 the factory was acquired by Pittsburgh Plate Glass, later PPG Industries, which added a glass factory billed as the largest in the world. In 1990 it was closed and bulldozed, leaving lingering environmental contamination at the 250-acre site.

The Santa Fe Trail was started on September 1, 1821 from Independence,Missouri by fur trader William Becknell.

The first emigrant wagon train left Independence for California May 1, 1841.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri