Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 AM

11 posts, read 38,312 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I will be moving near El Dorado Springs in less than a month. She recently got a job in El Dorado Springs and I have gave my 2 week notice to my employer. I would love to hear back replies about such questions that I may have. I am from Huntington, WV as she is as well.

1. What is the job market in Nevada, MO/Joplin/Springfield like? (She has her Masters Degree in Environmental Science and I have a B.B.A. in Management Information Systmes).

2. I have a reconstructed title on my vehicle (it was wrecked then fixed) and was wondering if the state laws prohibit those vehicles to be on the road (will insurance be able to cover me, do they have inspections your cars must undergo every year?)

3. Entertainment wise, what is there to do in the area

4. This is an important one (Is there high speed internet available?)

5. Is it possible to substitute teach around that area with just a bachelor's degree? (Back home here, if someone has a 4 year degree they can substitute teach).

6. Is the weather really bad (tornado's, high winds, rain?)

7. What kind of churches are in the area?
Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:38 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Not sure about most of those, but Springfield is the headquarters for Assemblies of God churches and has 2 Christian colleges, so finding a church shouldn't be a problem. There's a huge church called James River there as well.

Weather across Missouri can change quickly, so be prepared, but usually it's fine. From what I understand Springfield got some snow recently.

It's a big area, so there should be a lot to do. If you want to take a weekend trip sometime, I think Lake of the Ozarks is about 2 hours from Springfield. The Lake is beautiful and there are wonderful resorts there. You can relax in a great resort, golf, fish, or catch some shows there. It's a great place to visit, and very scenic as well. Branson is about an hour from Springfield and has a lot of great shows to go to, as well Silver Dollar City, Celebration City, and White Water, all amusement parks. Joplin to Springfield is about an hour drive (according to Google Maps). If you want to drive that far, St. Louis and Kansas City are both about 3-4 hours away (according to Google Maps). Springfield to Jefferson City is also about 2 1/2 hours.

I'm not sure about the legal stuff, though. My sister's car is a salvage title and she has no trouble with the law, so I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Anyway, welcome to Missouri! Sorry I can't help you with the legal issues.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Thank to the replier

Thank you for your information as to what to expect. I guess one really doesn't know until they get there. We are both from Huntington WV and are hoping to make the best of the situation. Have you ever been to El Dorado Springs or Nevada, MO?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:45 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoboJaymz View Post
Thank you for your information as to what to expect. I guess one really doesn't know until they get there. We are both from Huntington WV and are hoping to make the best of the situation. Have you ever been to El Dorado Springs or Nevada, MO?
No, just to Springfield. I have friends who live in the Springfield area and go to school there, though.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,997 times
1. What is the job market in Nevada, MO/Joplin/Springfield like? (She has her Masters Degree in Environmental Science and I have a B.B.A. in Management Information Systmes).

There are many good jobs in Springfield.... I recently moved here and not sure about the jobs in Joplin or Nevada

2. I have a reconstructed title on my vehicle (it was wrecked then fixed) and was wondering if the state laws prohibit those vehicles to be on the road (will insurance be able to cover me, do they have inspections your cars must undergo every year?)

Call the police department they may be able to tell you. My husband works there. Missouri does have inspections.

3. Entertainment wise, what is there to do in the area

Nevada has a theater, there will soon be one in ELDO. ELDO has several outings at the park during the spring, summer, and early fall. Our biggest thing is the annual PICNIC. It's alot of fun!!!! There is usually something going on in all the small towns around. Stockton is 20 mins away and they have a lake

4. This is an important one (Is there high speed internet available?)

Yes Yes Yes

5. Is it possible to substitute teach around that area with just a bachelor's degree? (Back home here, if someone has a 4 year degree they can substitute teach).

You can sub in Missouri with just 60 credits... you must apply for a sub teaching certificate and have a background check. Nevada pays the most. I think ELDO pays $60.00 a day, i think... may be wrong

6. Is the weather really bad (tornado's, high winds, rain?) The weathers always changing. right now it's very cold. Tornados have been known to hit 20 mins away and flooding was an issue for some area in the late SUMMER

7. What kind of churches are in the area?

Depends on what denomination you are... What kind of church are you looking for????
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 AM

870 posts, read 3,081,969 times
Default Some links for you...

Lots of answers (and more questions!) can be found on the web, I think.... Try these, to start...

News-Leader.com | Springfield, Mo.

417 Magazine - Springfield, Branson, Joplin and Southwest Missouri's Guide to Restaurants, Shopping and Events

City of Nevada - Offline

Front Page

Hope this helps!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:49 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,796 times
Red face A Little Confusing...

Hi, Bobo!

It's hard to know what other people know but some of the answers are a little confusing for me. I just want to clarify that El Dorado Springs is not really near Springfield...unless you consider about 80 miles and 1 1/2 hour drive "close by". At least, those are statistics given by RandMcNally.com, which, since I am not planning on driving it, I have no way of confirming.

By the way, the "Front Page" link that Darlynn gave is to eldoradospringsmo.com and appears to be to their newspaper, The Sun. I just wanted to be sure that it was known by Bobo and others in the future. Also, here's a link to the Nevada newspaper: Nevada Daily Mail

By the way, did you know that both cities have a different pronunciation than their more famous counterparts? Yep, you say, "El Doe-RAY-doe Springs" and "Nuh-VAY-duh". !! Seriously! Hahahaaa! (To be sure I am clear, "doe" is pronounced like bread dough or doe, a female deer.)
http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/TN-5111-couple-fermier.gif (broken link)
I just thought I'd alert ya'll so's ya don't git strung up by the locals when yore mispronunciation alerts 'em to discover yo're nuthin' but a couple o' feriners!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Yeah there is almost nothing around El Dorado Springs. I can't imagine you working in Springfield or Joplin and driving 3 hours round trip every day.

Though I also can't imagine it would be easy to find a job in anything you're used to in a town with fewer than 4000 people.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,581 times
Yea, I've been to both Eldorado and Nevada, and very true...not much in Eldorado Springs. Very rural area. Lotsa churches here!!!!! I live in Joplin (49,000). Joplin has a decent job market, especially if you have a degree. I believe Lamar and Nevada are the closest Walmart stores. It seems when you live in a rural area, going to Wal-Mart is a treat (sad). I think Joplin is about an hour and 15 min or so. A good size mall here, 3 Wal-Mart Supercenters, and lotsaaaaa restaurants. Good Luck on your move.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM

Default Thanks

We just got here and are being put in a hotel for a month by my girlfriends work. This is definately a change. The people seem super nice, but doesn't seem there is much here. Although that could be a good thing, as you can lose your sense of self in a bigger city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri