U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:11 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,985,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimsely1 View Post
All sounds nice, but what about the scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, black widows, etc? They are the reason I crossed MO off my short list of states to move to. Despite fact my brother is moving there and we share the last name of a beloved Mark Twain character, I dont think I can handle the bugs. Sorry here in NJ we dont have this. We just have astronomical property taxes. Hence the reason I am looking at other states to move to!
In all the years I lived in Mo I never, ever, saw this. Snakes, sure, but I think perhaps you are over-reacting just a bit.
I lived in metro SL, as well as rural areas, and spent a good deal of time in the Ozarks.
The bug/crawly critter problem is far worse here in Fl, but one just has to be aware of the surroundings one is in.
I think it is a shame you are crossing off an entire state because of a pre-conceived notion that you will be overrun by critters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 03:24 PM

17 posts, read 30,790 times
No love bugs I hope.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossum View Post
No love bugs I hope.
Ugh, one of the reasons i hate it here.... still havent gotten the little bastards scrubbed off my car

Old 01-01-2008, 04:39 PM

100 posts, read 282,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
So, if you want to avoid all snakes, tarantulas, black widows, and scorpions you can move to New York, Vermont, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New Hampshire, Maine, Hawaii, Alaska or most of Canada.

Funny, as I had just decided on Maine!! NJ has snakes yes, but we dont see them too often. And Daddy Long Legs galore. I think growing up here in Jersey, despite fact we do have many rural areas, we can be a little sheltered to some things. Like Scorpions!!

I wanted a more rural area to move too, after being on top of neighbors all my life I want a change. So I was looking at MO, but like many posts say, the more rural, the more likely you will see what quite frankly i dont want to see. I am nuts, yes.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Funny, as I had just decided on Maine!! NJ has snakes yes, but we dont see them too often. And Daddy Long Legs galore. I think growing up here in Jersey, despite fact we do have many rural areas, we can be a little sheltered to some things. Like Scorpions!!

I wanted a more rural area to move too, after being on top of neighbors all my life I want a change. So I was looking at MO, but like many posts say, the more rural, the more likely you will see what quite frankly i dont want to see. I am nuts, yes.
Good for you, admitting you have problem is the first step towards a cure, good luck, and happy new year!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 PM

470 posts, read 835,781 times
Aimsley1, Be sure to keep your outdoor grill, birdfeeders and garbage locked up at night when you move to maine. Maine has one of the highest densities of bears in the U.S. (hee,hee)

Old 01-01-2008, 11:58 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,737,876 times
Quote:

I grew up in a town of 1000 and have lived in a town of 300-400 for 13 years, and I have never seen a scorpion, tarantula, or black widow in the wild. Growing up I often went walking around the lake with my Grandpa or digging in a tree stump in Grandma's yard. We also sometimes have summer picnics at the nearby lake and walk the nature trail. I once saw 2 black snakes (forget exactly what they're called, but they're very quick) and they slid faster from me than I could have run from them.

My Mom is a baby about bugs, but she's survived. I'm sure you could, too.

The worst thing I've experienced are wolf spiders and cave crickets, and both are harmless. We've also had fewer since we've had the house sprayed and it's currently winter. Occasionally you'll see a bee or a wasp, but usually as long as you live them alone they'll leave you alone.

It would make sense that Maine would have bears, considering their college team is called the Maine Black Bears. and Grizzly Bears typically live just north of Maine and may be making their way south across North America. If you want to avoid, bears, bugs, spiders, scorpions, and snakes, you'd better move to the Greenland or Iceland. I don't think Antarctica has any polar bears, either. And don't go camping. And don't take nature hikes. And don't picnic in southern states (fire ants).

Sorry if I'm being patronizing. I just don't think you should be so worried. If you don't go looking for it, you probably won't find it. You'd probably have a better chance of being in a car accident than being bitten by a poisonous snake, spider, scorpion, or being attacked by a bear.

From reading this site's own forum, Maine has, not only bears, but also snakes (most non-poisonous), wolves, and mountain lions (or cougars). We have bears, wolves, coyotes, and mountain lions in Missouri, too, but I've never seen them in person. There have been mountain lion sightings around here, but they are rare. Snakes are fairly common, but stay out of their way and they'll stay out of yours. All these things occur less often in Maine than in Missouri, but I think the same goes for either state. Avoid the bug, it'll avoid you.

By the way:
Quote:
Property taxes per $1,000 in income were found to be highest in the Northeastern states of Maine, New Hampshire and New Jersey, at $55, $51 and $45, respectively.

Alabama and Delaware had the lowest real estate taxes per $1,000 in income, at $13 and $16, respectively.
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-13546723_ITM (broken link)

You said you're moving away from New Jersey because of the taxes? Maine seems about the same.

This site doesn't have Maine or Missouri in either the most or least expensive property taxes compared to property value.

10 most affordable markets:
http://efinancedirectory.com/article...g_Markets.html

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 01-02-2008 at 12:55 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 05:31 AM

21 posts, read 113,274 times
My reasons include the Cardinals, the Blue Room, Boulevard Pale Ale and the St. Louis Art Museum.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:34 PM

870 posts, read 1,982,889 times
Default No, Don't Move Here!!

The scenery is some of the most beautiful in the country.
The people I've met are hospitable and courteous.
There is Clean air and water.
Wildlife abounds...(city and country kind!!)
Taxes and Homes are less expensive.
So many things to do, without breaking the bank.
Moderate climate, yet seasonal.

BUT!!!!
We have bugs and critters and curvey roads and traffic and LOTS of people from CA TX and parts unknown!!!! So, don't move here!! (Maybe it'll help us with the traffic situation!!)

LOL you know i am kiddin'!! I love MO and MOST people would fit in here, just fine, no matter where they hailed from originally. LOTS of us, already do!!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM

26 posts, read 61,497 times
Default Moving to Missouri.

If you are looking for small town rural life to have a safe, wonderful place to raise children, with good morals and standards. Then rural Missouri is definately the place to be. I moved here 2 years ago from AZ....have not seen a one scorpion...which is WONDERFUL, since in AZ it was normal to come home and find them romping around my house. (killed 3 in one night in my sons room...and 1 on kitchen table the following day YIKES).

I've not seen a black widow here since moving here...I'm sure they are here...but I've NOT seen one. I have seen very few snakes...the ones I have seen have been whilst I've been out romping in "their" territory...not in my own back yard.

Now I'm not saying we dont' have bugs here...we do...most definately...but no more so then anyother place I've ever lived. We do have lots of lightening bugs where I live..and it is a wonderful experience to watch a child run and chase and 'capture' them...just to watch them glow.

Missouri is a WONDERFUL place, full of friendly people..with such a diverse lay of the land....and many cultural peoples...that it makes it an absolute PERFECT enviornment for a family to be.

I for one will DEARLY miss this place when I move to Oregon....but alas...I have no choice in moving as I have absolutely no family here and medical problems that dictate...my need/desire being closer to family.

LOL (Know anyone wanting to buy a wonderful little patch of Missouri land...with a 3 bedroom home...let me know...{yeah cheap plug I know...lol})
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri