Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 02:06 AM

47 posts, read 52,120 times

Advertisements

I have been looking and researching different locations in Missouri for transplanting. We live in Florida at the moment but my daughter who works full time and can transfer to any location who has openings wants to leave Florida. It has been my home for 22 years but Missouri homeschool regulations make it appealing. One thing I don't want is to move somewhere where the people are not accepting of outsiders. I want my 7 year old grandson to make friends that he will carry throughout his life. From what I have read here so far, that does not seem to be possible in Missouri, am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedFreshstart View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am a single mother of two barely surviving in CA and want desperately to thrive and not just survive. I depend on assistance as I'm only working part time which is all I could find. I NEED a fresh start and would love to live and thrive in a small town not far from the bigger cities to have access to hospitals, work etc. I have never lived outside of CA but have always wanted to. I know a lot of you have heard all of this before but for me this is all new. I would appreciate any advice, suggestions or tips anyone could offer. I am starting my research but would like a suggestion to narrow down the states.
Thank you all.
If you want to do better than public assistance, welcome to Missouri,
The Gov benefits may be less, and you will struggle a bit for a while, but within months, you WILL do better.
Start with a smallish rural setting within 25 miles of a larger setting.
Although not for me as I have family in the western mid part of the state, AND I am retired, I would look hard at Cape Girardeau.
It is a growing community, jobs ARE available, and getting 20-25 miles outside the city is inexpensive.
I have looked hard at this home, but I found a house closer to the Ozarks and close to my family. BUT, if I was younger, I would buy this in a heartbeat, put some sweat equity in it, and wait for the housing market to rebound. And it WILL, if America still stands.
Co Rd 279 Perkins, MO 63774 | MLS# 78373 | Coldwell Banker
30K. MUCH cheaper than rent. And if you come from CA, MO, you will see the value in it.
I am in NO way affiliated with the seller or agent. This home keeps popping up on Zillow as in Barnett MO, but it's not. I would have bought it if it was in Barnett. But, Perkins is 4 hours from where I want, but only 25 minutes from Cape Girardeau. I have been looking at homes in the Lake Ozark area since July. I finally found a home in California, Mo. The home linked has went from 38,900 to 30K in 5 months. I bet it can be bought for 28-29K. I am thinking VERY serious about buying it, anyway.
And here it is in Google street view https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...a9db77!6m1!1e1 Google street does not go to the house, but you can see it from the main road.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:32 AM

9 posts, read 15,284 times
Wow can't believe how rude people on here were to someone trying to work

Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckyfuss11 View Post
Wow can't believe how rude people on here were to someone trying to work
Wow! Can't believe you came here all the way from Charlotte, NC just to insult some Missourians. But I guess you know the job market in the state better than those of us who live here.

Actually, people were doing the OP a kindness. This is a small state. Employment opportunities are limited but for in the burgeoning medical field. The OP gave no hint as to what education, experience and skills she may have but is contemplating moving herself and two children 2,000 miles hoping that our lower cost of living will be favorable for them. But with that also comes fewer social props. As one poster advised, better to visit several times and explore opportunities and climates before taking the leap.

We tend to be pretty direct here.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Your exactly what's wrong with charlotte. Who calls people they don't know transplants? Its like so ignorant.
Quote:
Hey there, what you will learn being in Charlotte, is that Charlotte has no fun. and they often do attack others easily, have a dislike for other people or supposed outsiders. they are often suspicious and anti-social. work, work, work and no fun. find all the transplants you can who are open and honest and don't judge you based on your first sentence. your quote is absolutely right. this is the land of the pharisees. Open minded you won't find it. bad behaved vicious people who hate others and pretend to be kind and politically correct. get me out of here. seriously.
I discern a bit of a disconnect here. Are you by any chance originally from Encino?

In any event you sound unhappy and somewhat angry. I hope for your sake that you make it back to the West Coast or to Cape May, whichever way the tides take you.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotech View Post
[URL="http://www.coldwellbanker.com/property?guid=8016EF80-D497-47E5-BCDE-99128203AC6F&WT.mc_id=CBZillowListing"]Co Rd 279 Perkins, MO 63774 | MLS# 78373 | Coldwell Banker[/URL]
30K. MUCH cheaper than rent. And if you come from CA, MO, you will see the value in it.
I am in NO way affiliated with the seller or agent. This home keeps popping up on Zillow as in Barnett MO, but it's not. I would have bought it if it was in Barnett. But, Perkins is 4 hours from where I want, but only 25 minutes from Cape Girardeau. I have been looking at homes in the Lake Ozark area since July. I finally found a home in California, Mo. The home linked has went from 38,900 to 30K in 5 months. I bet it can be bought for 28-29K. I am thinking VERY serious about buying it, anyway.
And here it is in Google street view [URL]https://www.google.com/maps/place/County+Road+279,+Oran,+MO+63771/@37.0942776,-89.7755522,3a,75y,276.31h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sBaP9FxZNrnY89c4I7nFxug!2e0!4m2 !3m1!1s0x887810cd40f1ba8b:0xe5670bf177a9db77!6m1!1 e1[/URL] Google street does not go to the house, but you can see it from the main road.
Hope this helps.

Um, that house is really nice looking with serious potential! Although, I don't love it only having 1 bathroom, maybe something could be done. And the 3 lots factor is a bonus as well with that price. I'm a little concerned that that door-like area in the living room is an incredibly small stairway - or what it is at all. If that's the case, I wonder what it would take to remodel a more traditional stairway into the home. But, I love how private the house looks. Any more info?

I'm looking to leave Michigan for a more tobacco-friendly area and I understand Cape Girardeau is one of those places. I like living in a college area(Cape G is one of those, right?) and will be looking into the ones there to see if they are smoker-friendly as well. I could afford this house outright, especially if my current home sold in time.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:39 AM

367 posts, read 761,937 times
A few of my blue collar, upstanding, skilled, hard working, family oriented, country friendly co-workers moved here from the west coast and hold down good paying middle class jobs.

As others have mentioned the cost of living is lower, the pay will be less and state assistance is available for the needy. SW Mo churches have food banks and spiritual assistance programs for single mothers.

Working multiple jobs to make ends meet is the norm instead of the exception. I would not recommend moving here unless you have zero intention of moving back.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:29 AM

348 posts, read 411,593 times
I was born and raised in Missouri and also spent time in the states of California, Pennsylvania, and Texas. I also was a single mother on public assistance for a while in both Missouri and California.
From my perspective, California will keep you as a renter. It's a much bigger hole to get out of. Yes, there's public assistance, but it's not all "cushy handouts" like some folks like to think it is.
In Missouri, there is a chance to be a homeowner. Look into jobs first. Look for possible work. Personally, I was always quite fond of Columbia, MO because it has 3 colleges and a younger, more accepting crowd. I'm actually looking at moving back to the Kansas City area myself in the near future.
I've also considered Maine. Maine has a reputation as a "welfare state" as there is not a lot of work there. They resent people moving there for handouts, and it's a hard for lots of folks to make ends meet. The recurring theme there and elsewhere is, "Don't move here unless you already have a job lined up!"
Take that very seriously. Look for work, check for areas with good schools, and move there.
For what it's worth, I am aware that Maine has a very good home schooling system.

If you don't mind a rural setting and the need for a car to get around and do all of your errands, then try the middle of Missouri.

-T.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 AM

367 posts, read 761,937 times
Forty-four days later and the OP hasn't responded. What was her purpose of starting a thread without acknowledging responses?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
Forty-four days later and the OP hasn't responded. What was her purpose of starting a thread without acknowledging responses?
Unfortunately, that happens often. An OP asks for information and advice, it's provided and the OP never returns to close the loop by providing an update regarding their ultimate decision. Such is the nature of helping sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri