U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-11-2008, 04:16 PM

205 posts, read 351,146 times
Default Drive in's in Missouri

I was just wondering if drive in theaters are still happening in Missouri? Before we left I remember KMIZ 17 in Columbia was having some kind of drive in special every Friday night at the drive in in Moberly. I wish we would've taken advantage of that, but are hoping that when we get back there that maybe there will be some drive ins that are still operational. They're geat! Much better than sitting in uncomfortable theater seats!
Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks folks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 05:12 PM

5,827 posts, read 10,997,156 times
There's one in Southeast Missouri between Ellington and Van Buren. It's open May-August/September. $5 per person. The movies start after dark. You pay $5 to get in and then you can watch both movies or only stay for one. Concessions tend to be cheaper than the theater as well. And you can sit in lawn chairs, in your car, or on a blanket if you'd like. Dogs are allowed and there's a playground for the kids.

21 Drive-In
21 Drive-In Photo

There's one in Piedmont as well, but it's gone downhill a lot in recent years. It's kind of dirty now.

If you type "21 Drive-in" in Google you get one, but it's not the same. That website's drive-in is in South Carolina somewhere.

It's probably too far for you, though, unless you make a longer trip out of it.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,448,285 times
Here be list: Missouri Open Di's

Been to Cuba, Frederickton, and Houston ones...

Old 01-11-2008, 06:16 PM

238 posts, read 536,210 times
I've been to the one in Cuba. It's still standing although I don't know if it's still open. I'll have to check it out this summer if it is.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:52 PM

13,683 posts, read 3,651,881 times
There's one just east of St. Joe called the Horeshoe Lake Drive-In. Never been there.

I remember a bunch in St. Louis as a little kid in the 70's. My parents would always take my brother and me to one at I44 and HWY141. The only problem was the interstate on one side and train tracks on the other....

Do they broadcast the movies on low power FM these days?? That would be nice because I always remembered those sound boxes you attached to your window sounded like s%#t.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:31 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,865,392 times
I can vaguely remember watching "Paper Moon" (which was filmed in St. Joe) at the 270 Drive-In, in north St. Louis County. That drive-in has long ago shut down, and now there's a big shopping complex where it used to be.

That's great to hear about the Horseshoe Lake Drive-In! Looks like you just head east on Frederick Blvd past I-29. Hopefully they play some nice old movie classics in addition to the new block-blusters. My wife's a big Audrey Hepburn fan, and I'll never get tired of the old Marx Brothers movies from the 1930s.

I would have to think, without being sure, that those old metal speakers that hook on to the driver's window are a thing of the past, and that you tune into either an FM station or possibly an AM station really high up on the dial (but then it wouldn't be in stereo).

One really neat thing the town of Windsor, CA does during the summer months is play old movies on its Town Green. People bring blankets and folding chairs, along with microwaved popcorn and other snacks and watch a free movie every other Thursday night during the summer. Watching "Witness for the Prosecution" last August with Marlene Dietrich, Tyrone Power and Charles Laughton playing the part of Britain's top court barrister, was a lot of fun! I'm totally into a lot of these kinds of old black-and-white movies.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 PM

5,827 posts, read 10,997,156 times
The 21 Drive-in's sound is also broadcast on a local FM station. Not sure about other drive-ins.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:05 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,936,275 times
I remember the Poplar Bluff drive-in on 67, we used to sneak in, kinda like in Grease, except it was the late '70's..... what fun that was. Last time I was there, the drive-in was gone, but the sign was still there....... I know that STLBLUES that started this thread goes to PB often, wish she would look and report if sign was still there, please?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:17 PM

205 posts, read 351,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I know that STLBLUES that started this thread goes to PB often, wish she would look and report if sign was still there, please?
She started this thread???

Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,936,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r8rfan View Post
She started this thread???
-hanging head in embarrassment- hey, it was a rough day.... forgive me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri