Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking land prices may have contributed to the demise in the bigger cities. The profit compared to the price of the property it lies on came into play when the route 66 drive-in on Watson Rd. in Crestwood met it's demise. Next up... Malls. (I'll go to a drive-in anyday over a mall)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Soooo.... Was it one of those wrought iron fences with the narrow gaps you had to try to slip through?? At least with the grease you wouldn't get yourselves stuck...
Silly you! Of course not! all 85 of us were in the trunk of a '69 Chevelle, along with the 3 cases of beer! -giggling-

Last edited by kshe95girl; 01-15-2008 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Silly you! Of course not! all 85 of us were in the trunk of a '69 Chevelle, along with the 3 cases of beer! -giggling-
Let me guess...the other 35 were squooshed in one of them VW Super Beetles, making a grand total of 120!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Let me guess...the other 35 were squooshed in one of them VW Super Beetles, making a grand total of 120!
You were there, werent you!?!? along with the keg in the front seat! from what I remember, it was a great party!

Last edited by kshe95girl; 01-15-2008 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 01-16-2008, 04:52 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,877 times
I have passed a drive-in in Seymour, Mo. The screen actually can be seen from the road on 60. It looks like it has a very small parking area. Hope to check it out this spring or summer. Loved going to the drive-in back in Indiana when I was a teenager. Or going to play putt-putt golf cause you could see the movie screen from the course. Until the drive-in started playing mostly XXX rated. I don't remember what closed first the drive-in or the putt-putt....but they are both parking lots and shopping centers now....

Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 AM

870 posts, read 3,082,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
I can vaguely remember watching "Paper Moon" (which was filmed in St. Joe) at the 270 Drive-In, in north St. Louis County. That drive-in has long ago shut down, and now there's a big shopping complex where it used to be.

That's great to hear about the Horseshoe Lake Drive-In! Looks like you just head east on Frederick Blvd past I-29. Hopefully they play some nice old movie classics in addition to the new block-blusters. My wife's a big Audrey Hepburn fan, and I'll never get tired of the old Marx Brothers movies from the 1930s.

I would have to think, without being sure, that those old metal speakers that hook on to the driver's window are a thing of the past, and that you tune into either an FM station or possibly an AM station really high up on the dial (but then it wouldn't be in stereo).

One really neat thing the town of Windsor, CA does during the summer months is play old movies on its Town Green. People bring blankets and folding chairs, along with microwaved popcorn and other snacks and watch a free movie every other Thursday night during the summer. Watching "Witness for the Prosecution" last August with Marlene Dietrich, Tyrone Power and Charles Laughton playing the part of Britain's top court barrister, was a lot of fun! I'm totally into a lot of these kinds of old black-and-white movies.
They do something similar in Downtown Springfield in the Summer...
New schedule has not been posted yet, but it is a lot of fun!
Founders Park (http://www.ci.springfield.mo.us/founders/ - broken link)

Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times
There is a restored old Route 66 Drive-in just outside Carthage, Mo. (SW MO). There is also a small one in Lamar, Mo (SW MO) 24 miles North of Carthage.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You were there, werent you!?!? along with the keg in the front seat! from what I remember, it was a great party!
Missed that one, dagnabit! Might've been my older brother however....

Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 AM

26 posts, read 87,216 times
The Cuba Drive-in is still open running all of the top movies that the theaters have. They finally did upgrade to the FM station broadcast. I just wished that the drive in was booming like it was when I was in school, I have great memories of the place. Used to if you didn't get there early then you might not get a parking space, from what I have seen lately that isn't a problem.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 PM

13 posts, read 62,469 times
There is also the Twin Drive-In in Independence, MO. There used to be the I-70 Drive-In, but not sure if it's still open or not. I know that the Twin still open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri