Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:31 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times

Advertisements

It seems there are many on the threads here that at one time lived in MO, moved somewhere else and then decided that they wanted to return. I for one, never moved out of state in my entire life. I traveled in my day to CA, New York, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, etc.,etc.,etc., and like what seems to be an endless supply of entertainment and things to do and places to go. Fun exciting places and gobs and gobs of single folk. I've knwn quite a few peers of mine that went off to those destinations just for that reason. Is it the TV shows that show the glamor? You know the ones... They live right in the trendy neighborhood in a huge apartment, eat out/go out every single night to places where every single person looks like a model, and never seem to have to work or pay bills. Unrealistic. More realistic would be working 2+ jobs just to get by and living in a cramped apartment, and spending way more time in traffic than at the beach, club, or wherever. Would you really have the time or money to take advantage of all the city amenities? The people I know that live in the bigger cities live a more stressful life than what's portrayed in the media.

A few years ago, I thought about selling my place, packing my bags and moving to a more exciting place like Vegas or Phoenix and just start a new chapter in life. I changed my mind after a visit. I found out I couldn't even get a 1500 square foot home on a 60x60 lot for what I could sell my home and 50 acres for. Quite a trade-off! And another thing, the homes don't even have basements! No room for storage except for the garage so the neighborhoods looked more like parking lots on the streets and driveways.
The air was filthy and looked nothing like the postcard pics.

Looks like I'm not going anywhere except for vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default Hey.

I guess I would qualify...I moved to SW MO from Central Ca...then moved to Upstate NY...then back to SW MO...then to Western KS...then ran screaming back to SW MO.

I left MO both times for better paying jobs...then decided BOTH times that sometimes the money just isn't worth it! Ya know?

I have had such a cool time in MO that I really thought I could do the same thing in other states. And for me, this has become HOME.

Good Post MoNative...

Old 12-08-2007, 06:32 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
No room for storage except for the garage so the neighborhoods looked more like parking lots on the streets and driveways.
The air was filthy and looked nothing like the postcard pics.

Looks like I'm not going anywhere except for vacations.
Well I just counted how many cars I can see from my front window. and the Tally is 71........ 22 of them I could reach with a rock...3 are mine.....
Now I know why I leave most weekends...

Old 12-08-2007, 08:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
I guess I would qualify...I moved to SW MO from Central Ca...then moved to Upstate NY...then back to SW MO...then to Western KS...then ran screaming back to SW MO.

I left MO both times for better paying jobs...then decided BOTH times that sometimes the money just isn't worth it! Ya know?

I have had such a cool time in MO that I really thought I could do the same thing in other states. And for me, this has become HOME.

Good Post MoNative...
Oh boy! I can definitely relate to some of that. I lived in Western KS for awhile, but I REALLY did not like living there. I lived in NW Indiana for awhile, then moved back to Eastern KS. Now I am in the process of moving to NH for early next year.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I lived in MO from 1997 till 2001, and really liked living there for the most part. Seeing the eagles on the river in Clarksville, Christmas in the St. Charles "old town", the rec plex in St. Peters, float trips on the Merrimec, visiting the wineries, and biking along the Kady Trail along the Missouri River are some of what we enjoyed. However, it wasn't "home" to us, and never would be. Coming from New England, too much of who we were was left behind in the mountains of NH and the shorelines of New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Maine. It always felt like we were "visiting". We did make some wonderful friends who have been to NH to visit a couple of times and understand now why we needed to come back here. I'd love to go back and visit the friends we left behind, and see the changes that I know have happened since we left (Winghaven in O'Fallon was still in development!) But it's just not a place I could live in again...

Old 12-09-2007, 02:32 PM

592 posts, read 2,134,082 times
Moved away to go to school...don't ever plan to be back...and knew better than to move there in the first place. I grew up in NE KS. I can understand why people wouldn't like Western KS.

If I did move back to MO, it would be to the Lake of the Ozarks, or POSSIBLY the Lee's Summitt area.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,217 times
I moved from Cape Girardeau, MO to Prescott, Arizona to possibly make a better living. I needed a fresh start, thought that I would find heaven here. But what happened is I found out what I really loved & cherished. The things I took for granted, I could go on for days.
But this move made me realize what I want.
I want what I had to begin with. The thunderstorms, complete with tonado warnings, humidity (here in AZ it's a "dry heat" but the dry heat will shrivel you up!), cornfields, WATER (Mississippi river, Merramec, etc.), winter snow, spring blooms & greenery, fall beauty. Hospitality is a big issue for me as well. Missouri is full of friendly people, there are the mean, snooty ones everywhere, but generally you are likely to strike up a converstation with just anyone. The best friends I've ever made in my life are there, too. And some fam!
I'm COMING BACK~

Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 PM

58 posts, read 180,404 times
Divorce at age 35 & had to make a living. Married to a farmer since 18 & didn't work. Bought a book something like "The Best Place To Live" in 1984 & chose Austin, Tx. Having lived prior in towns of pop. 100/300/800 or on the farm, I must've wanted a challange! Hit North Austin at 3 pm on a friday afternoon in a U-Haul and having never been out of Mo. nearly had a panic attack. Knew no one had, no idea what to do, but 20+ yrs. later after having been at the same job, same house etc. etc. I'm tired & ready to retire. My taxes alone are $600 monthly so can't stay here. 42 yr. old dau. in St. Joe. and

Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 PM

850 posts, read 1,897,828 times
so, my wife and I are moving to Michigan (from Chicago) but I grew up in kansas City; also lived in Jefferson City and by Truman Lake...

and after living in Chicago, I realized something - I really love trees, clean air, and water.

I wish I could move back (but my wife is from Michigan, and even though it's way more expensive, that's where her family is, so we're moving there)...

but I love Missouri.

we WILL move back there.

someday.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
so, my wife and I are moving to Michigan (from Chicago) but I grew up in kansas City; also lived in Jefferson City and by Truman Lake...

and after living in Chicago, I realized something - I really love trees, clean air, and water.

I wish I could move back (but my wife is from Michigan, and even though it's way more expensive, that's where her family is, so we're moving there)...

but I love Missouri.

we WILL move back there.

someday.
The air in Missouri is NOT as clean as you think it is. STL and KC have a LOT of coal power plants nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri