Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 6,136 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband has been accepted to Mizzou's PhD program in History. Consequently, my little family will be moving to Columbia this summer. I am seeking general input about the area. I apologize if any of my questions are duplicates, but most questions I found were rather dated, so...

1. We have a 6 year old kiddo w/ anxiety that presents w/ behavioral issues at school. We expect him to be placed in CORE. Anybody have any experience w/ CORE?
2. We expect our kiddo to eventually transition to a "typical" classroom, so the school district we move to is important. Any recommendations in general? for special needs kiddos? for high IQ kiddos who LOVE science?
3. Our kiddo sees a psychologist every other week. Anybody love their pediatric psychologist?
4. I have heard there has been an increase in crime in Columbia in the last decade. Any areas I should avoid? Any recommended areas/apts/landlords?
5. Fun things to do for 6 year olds? (The more excited I can make my kiddo about the move, the less worried he will be!)
6. I am a nurse. Any nurses loving where they are working to recommend their current place of employment?
7. ?? If you know Columbia, have any input for us?

Thanks for your time and attention!

Last edited by becca_wilk; 03-25-2015 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: forgot question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:38 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,708 times
I can't answer specific questions about the schools, but will say that Columbia is known for having a great public school system.

As far as crime, yes there has been an increase. Mostly the people who have lived there for a long time complain about it. It didn't really seem that bad when I lived there only a year ago (especially compared to STL or KC). Just avoid the areas east of 63 and north of 70. There are also some pockets in the middle of the city.

My major complain with rentals in Columbia is that most everything seemed geared towards the 18-21 undergraduate college student demographic. While the non-student apartments were old and falling apart. One nice complex in Columbia that prohibits anyone under 21 is Deer Valley. It's fairly close to campus

Columbia has really nice parks that are great for kids!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:47 AM

28 posts, read 35,899 times
Columbia has great public schools, so that shouldn't be a problem. And yes, a lot of the housing is geared towards college students and priced higher because of it.

Are you going to be buying or renting?

Old 04-24-2015, 11:11 AM

7 posts, read 6,136 times
We expect to live in Columbia for approx 5 years and hope to find a great place to rent during that time.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:16 AM

11 posts, read 12,016 times
Hi Becca,
My husband is also considering an appointment in Columbia and if he takes it we would be moving there this summer as well. Have you been out to visit yet? If you have I'd love to talk to you. He's a surgeon, I'm a Ph.D., but current stay at home mom of 3 kids, ages 13, 10 and 7. If you have been out and have learned anything about the neighborhoods I would love to hear from you. Feel free to message me here. I also sent a friend request, but I have no idea how that messaging works. my email is mtkimchi@yahoo.com too.
Kim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: