Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 PM

10,000 posts, read 8,504,492 times

Advertisements

Anybody feel it ?
It happened around 11:00 pm last night in Steel Mo. Around the New Madrid fault line.
It was only a 3.8 so I didn't notice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:05 PM

This one was the big one back in 1811-1812

CUMBERLAND CITY POST: The New Madrid Fault could Reawaken at any Time

Old 04-02-2015, 10:17 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,131,659 times
No, but I felt that one that was in Wichita a while back (I live in Kansas City) - can't remember exactly when it was, but it hasn't been too awfully long. I was sitting on the couch and actually felt the couch move under me. At first thought maybe it was thunder, but it wasn't raining/thundering.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:50 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Kansas and Oklahoma are having an uptick in seismic activity due to fracking presently..

Old 04-03-2015, 03:30 PM

914 posts, read 2,189,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas and Oklahoma are having an uptick in seismic activity due to fracking presently..
... and your source for this is...?

Old 04-03-2015, 03:36 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
... and your source for this is...?
TO CLARIFY THAT:

QUOTE...
"The rise in earthquakes as a result of fracking poses a massive problem for the oil and gas industry.

It is not hydraulic fracturing per se that is causing the earthquakes. Rather, the injection of wastewater back into the ground that contributes to fault lines "slipping," which results in heightened seismic activity.

Oklahoma has become the earthquake capital of the United States, surpassing even tremor-prone California. Oklahoma has averaged less than two earthquakes of a magnitude 3.0 or greater over the last 30 years. Shockingly, however, that rate has skyrocketed in recent years. In 2013, the state experienced 585 earthquakes with at least a 3.0 magnitude. And if the current rate of earthquakes continues, Oklahoma could have 875 by the end of 2015."

Earthquake Case Could Doom Fracking in Oklahoma

"Oklahoma recently surpassed California as the most seismically active state in the nation. Just five years ago, the state had barely any perceptible earthquakes on recent record. Scientists, including those at the US Geological Survey and in the journal Science, are now pretty sure that the increased seismic activity is due to oil companies injecting wastewater into the ground after using it during the hydraulic fracturing process."

Oklahoma scientists fracking and earthquakes - Business Insider

Old 04-03-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No, but I felt that one that was in Wichita a while back (I live in Kansas City) - can't remember exactly when it was, but it hasn't been too awfully long. I was sitting on the couch and actually felt the couch move under me. At first thought maybe it was thunder, but it wasn't raining/thundering.
We had one in St.Louis a few years ago and I remember waking up thinking I was dizzy until I heard windows and dishes rattling. I turned the tv on and waited and waited till they finally started flashing a message about an earthquake at the bottom of the screen. At least with a tornado we get a warning and a siren.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:08 PM

I've had earthquakes on the brain since I watched that video of the 1811 quake.
Those folks back then must have thought it was the end of the world when the ground shook so much they couldn't stand up and hearing those sonic booms, then giant fissures opened up and the earth began belching and farting sulphuric gases out of them. Then seeing the rivers flowing backwards and lakes appearing or disappearing and the strange lights coming from out of the cracks. If that wasn't bad enough it happened a few more times.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:24 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,164,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

I suspect that it was possibly Home land Security doing some under ground blasting. I live just south of Marin City and several years ago it was happening quite a bit.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:56 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,164,268 times
Earthquake tracker.

Today's Earthquakes in Kansas, United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri