U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 15,485 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am currently living in Arizona and have been exploring options of moving out of state for a while now. One of the states that I have been looking at is Missouri and I wanted to see if someone or a few of you could help me out with a couple of questions I had.

1. How is the economy and job market in Missouri as of right now?

2. Where are the safest places to live that have the least amount of crime?

3. Can you suggest a few places that might be rural where I could own a house and possibly a few acres, but still be within a reasonable distance to the city? As in city, I am not necessarily referring to a large metropolitan area like St. Louis or Kansas City, but a suburb that still offers a decent amount of job opportunities for its residents.

4. How is the St. Louis area in terms of culture and stuff to do? I really like the St. Louis Cardinals and that is one of the reasons why I am looking at moving out that way granted I can find a rural suburb of St. Louis that is not too far from Busch Stadium.

Thank you all so much for your help in advance! :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 AM

28 posts, read 29,006 times
I would consider somewhere in Mid-Missouri then, like near Colulmbia/Jefferson City. Then you are equally close to KC, St. Louis and Springfield and cost of living is a lot cheaper and definitely could live somewhere rural and be close to Columbia, JC or the Lake of the Ozarks.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,835,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislarson18 View Post
How is the economy and job market in Missouri as of right now?
For decades the job market in Missouri has had far fewer peaks and valleys than most states. This remains true at the present time. The trade-off has always been lower wages for comparable jobs in other states. Much depends upon the kind of job you are seeking.

Quote:
Can you suggest a few places that might be rural where I could own a house and possibly a few acres, but still be within a reasonable distance to the city? As in city, I am not necessarily referring to a large metropolitan area like St. Louis or Kansas City, but a suburb that still offers a decent amount of job opportunities for its residents.
Many suburbs around both St. Louis and Kansas City have both jobs and services. It can also be easy to do this near Springfield, Columbia, Joplin, or St. Joseph.

Quote:
How is the St. Louis area in terms of culture and stuff to do?
You should direct this question to the St. Louis sub-forum for local insight. I know there is a symphony, theater, museums, dance groups, etc.

Quote:
I really like the St. Louis Cardinals and that is one of the reasons why I am looking at moving out that way granted I can find a rural suburb of St. Louis that is not too far from Busch Stadium.
Bush stadium is on the river in downtown St. Louis, so it will be some distance from there to any rural area, depending upon your definition of "not too far."

Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,511,269 times
What's your line of work?

I'm not familiar with many places in MO. I'm in southwest MO and I've always heard that overall, the best job market and economy in this area is in Joplin.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:56 PM

92 posts, read 84,197 times
You could move to the village of Winston in Daviess County in Northern Missouri. You have the city of Gallatin 11 miles away, and the city of Cameron 13 miles away. I used to live in Winston, and I loved it there. While there are a couple of convenience stores in Winston, you could do your shopping in Gallatin or Cameron.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston,_Missouri

Old 05-05-2015, 07:01 PM

7,304 posts, read 5,980,984 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I am currently living in Arizona and have been exploring options of moving out of state for a while now. One of the states that I have been looking at is Missouri and I wanted to see if someone or a few of you could help me out with a couple of questions I had.

3. Can you suggest a few places that might be rural where I could own a house and possibly a few acres, but still be within a reasonable distance to the city? As in city, I am not necessarily referring to a large metropolitan area like St. Louis or Kansas City, but a suburb that still offers a decent amount of job opportunities for its residents.

4. How is the St. Louis area in terms of culture and stuff to do? I really like the St. Louis Cardinals and that is one of the reasons why I am looking at moving out that way granted I can find a rural suburb of St. Louis that is not too far from Busch Stadium.

A couple thoughts near St. Louis. Troy, in Lincoln County, is a fast growing rural/exurban area near St. Louis. Washington, Missouri is also another smaller town (20k or so residents) just outside of the St. Louis area. It's a haul, but I know several people who commute into St. Louis proper from Washington.

You'd be far from St. Louis, but some of the smaller towns around Springfield seem to be very popular, such as Nixa and several others. That's a pretty nice area of the state.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,097 times
Ha funny! I am in Arizona too and looking into Missouri. My thought look, for a property and then decide the town. My feelings are, the town can always change in my lifetime but my property never will! As long as I look at city information and make sure there isn't to much crime(s) I figure what do you have to lose.

Missouri reminds me of California. There are so many cities between cities and then you also have huge metro cities with in a few hours drive. Its not like Arizona where my next town with a home depot is 150miles and the next city with a Popeyes Chicken is over 300 miles...umm ONE way!

My first Missouri trip won me when the hotel was next to a gas station WITH a friend fish n chicken place inside....I don't need anything more

Old 05-08-2015, 11:00 PM

152 posts, read 175,217 times
KC has so many scams running, you will need to know someone local to be okay trying to work there. PERIOD! It is really not uncommon to get scammed from 3-4 directions even, including your work, and just decide to move. You will have a much easier time living WAY on outskirts of town & work telecommute, going in only for meetings....Trying to live down by the bars puts you in harms way & very close to area so poor it is like concentration camp due to the ruined occupants and charities that even lie to people seeking help...Keep extra money in case KC is not for you.

Nice variety of employment. Some really nice people. Lots to do with sports, culture, arts...If something is just wrong to you, keep extra money to leave. There are lots of scams biting in 3s or more...

Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 AM

488 posts, read 688,594 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Speaking solely about St. Louis, which is where I live:

1. It depends on your field. There are lots of jobs to be had generally speaking, but certain industries are better than others. Unless you're looking for unskilled or minimum wage work, I would strongly recommend having a job lined up before moving here.

2. Don't believe the news. St. Louis is generally a safe city, with a few bad pockets. I've lived here for 15 years and never been a victim of a violent crime, and I only know one person who has. Though just about everyone has their car broken into at least once (mostly kids looking for stuff to sell and pocket change - don't leave things in your car!)

3. This depends on your budget. People who like rural in the St. Louis area look in St. Charles, St. Peters, Wright City, Cottleville, Lake St. Louis, Chesterfield, Wildwood, Arnold, Imperial, Barnhart. All of those areas would be in a reasonable commute to St. Louis for work or ball games.

4. There are TONS of things to do. St. Louis is often ranked best in the country for the number of free things to do - the Zoo, the Science Center, the Art Museum. Then there's also The Planetarium, the Botanical Gardens, the Symphony, lots of live theatre (both Broadway type productions and tons of local theatre groups), there's always festivals and stuff going on, concerts, etc. Anything you want to do, you can find it in the city.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:41 PM

12,045 posts, read 5,849,880 times
"Please help me as I am considering relocating to Missouri"

Run Forest, run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri