Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:00 PM

83 posts, read 266,197 times

Advertisements

Hello, we may have an opportunity to move to the Joplin, Mo. area in the upcoming months. Our son (almost 19,) has a potential job offer there. That would be the deciding factor on whether or not we do this, but I'd like to get a feel for the surrounding areas, and what they have to offer.
Being in the "4 state region," is there any advantage to look into one of the other neighboring states such as Ok.,Ar.,or Ks.? Or is it safe to say that Joplin would be a decent place to live...? I've been through the area several times, but never had a notion to move till this opportunity arose for our son.

Even a 30 minute (max.,) drive outside of Joplin wouldn't be all that bad for us. Any information would be helpful. Cost of living, rentals, schools, etc. We're country people from out in the woods, so rural would be the thing we'd appreciate most, but within a reasonable drive to get provisions once in a while.

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 PM

63 posts, read 273,547 times
Hello!

The biggest difference between the Oklahoma and Kansas side is that they are more rural than Joplin. The area isn't very big so you could probably find a house within 10 to 15 miles of downtown that is in the woods. The cost of living is fairly cheap, but not cheaper than some much larger cities. The schools in the area are okay. I have heard that the Carl Junction schools are one of the best in the area.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone1515 View Post
Hello!

The biggest difference between the Oklahoma and Kansas side is that they are more rural than Joplin. The area isn't very big so you could probably find a house within 10 to 15 miles of downtown that is in the woods. The cost of living is fairly cheap, but not cheaper than some much larger cities. The schools in the area are okay. I have heard that the Carl Junction schools are one of the best in the area.

Thanks for the input. Now, is there a local advertising paper, publication, etc. that you'd recommend that I could view online, to get a feel for the demographics, rents, and a few other things that would be important?

Old 01-20-2008, 12:29 AM

There are a few newspapers around the area, with the largest one being the Joplin Globe. Their website offers news as well as classifieds for the entire four state area. Its a pretty good newspaper.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the Joplin Globe, and it's just what I needed.

Appreciate the help.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times
[quote=LowboyTZ;2555624]Hello, we may have an opportunity to move to the Joplin, Mo. area in the upcoming months. Our son (almost 19,) has a potential job offer there. That would be the deciding factor on whether or not we do this, but I'd like to get a feel for the surrounding areas, and what they have to offer.
Being in the "4 state region," is there any advantage to look into one of the other neighboring states such as Ok.,Ar.,or Ks.? Or is it safe to say that Joplin would be a decent place to live...? I've been through the area several times, but never had a notion to move till this opportunity arose for our son.

Even a 30 minute (max.,) drive outside of Joplin wouldn't be all that bad for us. Any information would be helpful. Cost of living, rentals, schools, etc. We're country people from out in the woods, so rural would be the thing we'd appreciate most, but within a reasonable drive to get provisions once in a while.

There is lots of rural area around Joplin, drive 5 to 10 minutes and your rural. Go up 43 North (rural highway) nothin but farm houses and fields. When 43 hits 160...more farm houses and fields. Although Joplin is 49,000 and growing...most everything around it is rural. Rentals run from 350 (scary) to 500-800. Anything below 450 is often less than desirable. Jasper is about 20 minutes from Joplin, this is a little country town with I think about 1000 to 2000 people with an old country diner off the main strip. Not much there, two gas stations, maybe 3 food places and a park. They also have at least two small manufacturing plants. Once you get to Joplin, rural areas are very easy to find. Good Luck!!! As far as safe...it depends on your life style. I'm 37, keep to myself and go to school, don't party. So, I think Joplin is safe. You will hear about the Meth problem here....if you are mature and not in the party scene, this will not be a problem. You can always contact local police dept. they can give you stats or it is probably online.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:10 PM
jps

79 posts, read 391,886 times
I know you want to live outside of town, but whenever I hear "Joplin" I usually think of Bonnie and Clyde and their big shootout with (and subsequent escape from) the Joplin police.

Here's the house where it happened. You can actually rent it out. I'd like to own it...

Then...

Now...

Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM

[quote=Mollym313;2589118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowboyTZ View Post
Hello, we may have an opportunity to move to the Joplin, Mo. area in the upcoming months. Our son (almost 19,) has a potential job offer there. That would be the deciding factor on whether or not we do this, but I'd like to get a feel for the surrounding areas, and what they have to offer.

There is lots of rural area around Joplin, drive 5 to 10 minutes and your rural. Go up 43 North (rural highway) nothin but farm houses and fields. When 43 hits 160...more farm houses and fields. Although Joplin is 49,000 and growing...most everything around it is rural. Rentals run from 350 (scary) to 500-800. Anything below 450 is often less than desirable. Jasper is about 20 minutes from Joplin, this is a little country town with I think about 1000 to 2000 people with an old country diner off the main strip. Not much there, two gas stations, maybe 3 food places and a park. They also have at least two small manufacturing plants. Once you get to Joplin, rural areas are very easy to find. Good Luck!!! As far as safe...it depends on your life style. I'm 37, keep to myself and go to school, don't party. So, I think Joplin is safe. You will hear about the Meth problem here....if you are mature and not in the party scene, this will not be a problem. You can always contact local police dept. they can give you stats or it is probably online.

Thanks, Mollym...that's some encouraging news.
The "meth problem" doesn't phase nor affect us in any way, shape or form. It's everywhere nowadays, but we don't see or feel it. And if I did, I'm the type of guy that wouldn't tolerate it around my family anyways. So it's not a problem.

Sounds like the rents are pretty affordable, as opposed to where we live in the northeast here. We currently own, but the alternative is almost prohibitive here in New England, aside from a cardboard box in the park somewhere, but I'd hope we'd never reach that point...

Tell me, is there any rolling hills, or smaller mountains in the landscape around Joplin? Just curious. We're in the mountains now, and I'm actually ready to shift gears and exchange mountains for a river or stream, if necessary.

Thanx again for the information...

Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
I know you want to live outside of town, but whenever I hear "Joplin" I usually think of Bonnie and Clyde and their big shootout with (and subsequent escape from) the Joplin police.

Here's the house where it happened. You can actually rent it out. I'd like to own it...

Then...

Now...

WOW!!! I just watched something on the History Channel (I think it was,) on Bonnie & Clyde getting to meet their Maker. Never gave it a thought it was in Joplin, Mo. Huh...

I think my wife would get the Heebie Jeebies if she were to live in that house though. Then again, according to the TV show I saw, I thought they were sprayed with machine gun fire in their car? If that were the case, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanx, jps...

Old 01-22-2008, 06:31 PM

There are hills in the area. You can especially tell when you get in the southern portion of the city. There is also a little river that goes through this area. It looks pretty cool when your driving down a hill and you can see the river through the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri