Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:15 PM

34,805 posts, read 30,852,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This is a chicken and egg problem and you are being simplistic about it. Of course the cost of living is "lower" in rural areas but jobs pay next to nothing for the most part, and most of those rural areas continue to have declines in total employment. Therefore they have VERY HIGH total percentages of retirees (who are not in the labor market in higher percentages), and a low percentage of younger people. Those areas remain low cost but they also have mediocre services, mediocre healthcare, a low tax base, and a deeply entrenched poverty. Purchasing power is a tool that can be manipulated or changed based on metrics or weights added to a model. The fact of the matter is that people move to places that have a good job market and good economy, NOT ONLY because the cost of living is LOW. If that were the case everyone would have moved to Mississippi yesterday.
This is so true. I am from rural Tennessee where the cost of living is very low, yet the jobs pay so miserably it is not worth living there vs. a costlier, but healthier regular metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:18 PM

77,685 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have examined trends in state level and rural economics for many years and is directly related to my background in GIS. In the case the thread is discussing, most of Missouri certainly has seen little job growth (outside of a few select locations), hence cost of living indicators are largely frozen in place due to lower inherent demand for housing- which is one of the primary drivers within the COL metrics.
I know, I'm just chuckling because I'm usually the one debunking threads like this is the neighboring state forum.

The quality of "analysis" found in newspapers and on-line is generally atrocious and often are agenda driven.

I still want to throw up when I read the "investigative series" on the Florida home insurance crisis that one a reporter down there a Pulitzer. It was nothing but populist tripe aimed at selling newspapers to scared old people because that's pretty much the bulk of newspaper purchasers anymore.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:19 PM

77,685 posts, read 59,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This is so true. I am from rural Tennessee where the cost of living is very low, yet the jobs pay so miserably it is not worth living there vs. a costlier, but healthier regular metro.
Yep. It's an attractive draw for retirees but not a whole lot more than that.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:06 PM

508 posts, read 660,077 times
Having lived in MO for 25 years, I can attest to the fact that there are few jobs, most pay poorly, few have any benefits, and employers will generally exploit their workers to the max.

If you have money - and admittedly it doesn't take a whole lot - Missouri can be a pleasant place, if you ignore the rightwingnuts that infest the entire state.

Unfortunately most people do not have that kind of money. They struggle, they do without, they can't get needed services. Often people in rural areas are isolated and trapped since gas shot up from 89c a gallon to over $3 - but their income did not increase commensurately.

I find it entirely believable that Missouri is among the 10 most miserable states in the union. Just because you don't see the unhappy peons doesn't mean they don't exist - or that they don't matter.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:49 PM

914 posts, read 2,187,621 times
Missouri shares a border with eight other states, more than any other state. Nothing magical happens at any border, no great dichotomies are to be seen expect crossing from St. Louis, Mo. into East St. Louis, Ill. There are no fences, no border guards to keep us in.

I am not going to stay up all night digging out statistics, but here is a snapshot of other states in relation to Missouri:

Per Capita income, 2010 (last year I can find). Missouri ranked 26th in the nation.
Median family Income, 2014. Missouri ranked 36th, but about dead even with Indiana, Maine, Michigan, Ohio, and slightly ahead of Florida and Montana.
Cost of Living. The only state by state comparative index I can find shows Missouri to be fifth or sixth from the bottom.
Divorce rates. 23 states have lower divorce rates, 26 the same or higher.
Suicide rates. Missouri ranks 24th, although the middle 20 or so states are probably statistically tied.
Home ownership rates. Missouri is 15th.
Educational level attained (2011). High School; Missouri is 28th. Bachelor degree, Missouri is 33rd. Advanced degree, Missouri is 24th. Again, the middle 15 to 20 states are statistically quite close.
Unemployment rates. Currently at 5.8% vs. the US rate of 5.5%. The Missouri Labor participation rate was better than the US average, for the last period I can find.

What I see is a state right in the middle of the pack in category after category. I do not see anything to suggest abnormally low wages, low levels of employment, low levels of education (except a persistent propensity to elect Democrats, experience notwithstanding), or any other quality of life issues.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:09 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,957,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
Having lived in MO for 25 years, I can attest to the fact that there are few jobs, most pay poorly, few have any benefits, and employers will generally exploit their workers to the max.

If you have money - and admittedly it doesn't take a whole lot - Missouri can be a pleasant place, if you ignore the rightwingnuts that infest the entire state.

Unfortunately most people do not have that kind of money. They struggle, they do without, they can't get needed services. Often people in rural areas are isolated and trapped since gas shot up from 89c a gallon to over $3 - but their income did not increase commensurately.

I find it entirely believable that Missouri is among the 10 most miserable states in the union. Just because you don't see the unhappy peons doesn't mean they don't exist - or that they don't matter.
I've lived in Missouri 47 years and like it just fine.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:12 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,957,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Missouri shares a border with eight other states, more than any other state. Nothing magical happens at any border, no great dichotomies are to be seen expect crossing from St. Louis, Mo. into East St. Louis, Ill. There are no fences, no border guards to keep us in.

I am not going to stay up all night digging out statistics, but here is a snapshot of other states in relation to Missouri:

Per Capita income, 2010 (last year I can find). Missouri ranked 26th in the nation.
Median family Income, 2014. Missouri ranked 36th, but about dead even with Indiana, Maine, Michigan, Ohio, and slightly ahead of Florida and Montana.
Cost of Living. The only state by state comparative index I can find shows Missouri to be fifth or sixth from the bottom.
Divorce rates. 23 states have lower divorce rates, 26 the same or higher.
Suicide rates. Missouri ranks 24th, although the middle 20 or so states are probably statistically tied.
Home ownership rates. Missouri is 15th.
Educational level attained (2011). High School; Missouri is 28th. Bachelor degree, Missouri is 33rd. Advanced degree, Missouri is 24th. Again, the middle 15 to 20 states are statistically quite close.
Unemployment rates. Currently at 5.8% vs. the US rate of 5.5%. The Missouri Labor participation rate was better than the US average, for the last period I can find.

What I see is a state right in the middle of the pack in category after category. I do not see anything to suggest abnormally low wages, low levels of employment, low levels of education (except a persistent propensity to elect Democrats, experience notwithstanding), or any other quality of life issues.
Yes. I travel frequently in several neighboring states and in the midwest in general. Not seeing much of a difference. Chicago is the alpha city, the Twin Cities are doing well, college towns generally have advantages non-college towns due, but the rest all looks pretty much the same to me.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:22 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
Kansas pretty much a more western Missouri to ya, MUTGR?

Old 04-30-2023, 11:46 AM

26 posts, read 31,466 times
Hello all.
I moved to Missouri in October 2020.
Bought my first house here then.
It was in Lebanon, MO.
I sold it two years later and bought a place in Climax Springs.
I love it here. Almost no neighbors, the ones that are here are mostly quiet and keep to themselves. I do miss the old style community of a small town from back in the 80's/90's though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri