Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

You can make fun of me for it if you like! I don't blame you at all. I know it's totally irrational. I have a thing with little furry stuff. I hate mice and hamsters and guinea pigs - they creep me out something fierce - so combining that with a spider is like .... eww.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 AM

78 posts, read 465,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlynn0217 View Post
I recall that some people may have an allergic reaction to the hair on the (tarantula) males stomach, but no fatalities!
No allergic reactions, but US tarantulas (males and females) have urticating hair on the back of their abdomen that they can scratch off if they are feeling stressed. These hairs can cause mild itching if they get on our hands. The intent of the hairs is to get into the eyes/nose of a would be attacker (like a mouse) and give them enough time to flee before they get eaten.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:08 PM

870 posts, read 3,081,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevez2 View Post
No allergic reactions, but US tarantulas (males and females) have urticating hair on the back of their abdomen that they can scratch off if they are feeling stressed. These hairs can cause mild itching if they get on our hands. The intent of the hairs is to get into the eyes/nose of a would be attacker (like a mouse) and give them enough time to flee before they get eaten.
I knew it was something like that! Too bad humans don't have that ability! I coulda used that trait in college!!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,342 times
When we first moved down to MO, dahubby was digging out stumps and there was a big ole Tarantula. I have heard that there is a Big Wolf Spider too. We took pics of the thing but the camera was acting up and we lost all the pics that we had taken. I was going to go online and compare the pic I took with pics of both the Tarantula and Wolf Spider. We are in Douglas county near Ava.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM

Thanks mamagator,
The whole Springfield/Branson area is prime tarantula grounds. They prefer the glades, but can be found sporadically outside the glades in south central to south western MO.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
I have had 3 tarantulas as pets, 2 wild caught and 1 pet shop. Of the 3 only the pet shop purchase showed any defensive behavior, raising his (her?) front legs and extending the fangs. The other 2 were very agreeable and would willingly climb onto hands and crawl around your arms and shoulders. They can often be seen on back roads in the fall around Branson and Cassville. I don't know much about their breeding and wintering habits but I have heard they sometimes migrate in large numbers.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:07 PM

Yes, the native species Aphonopelma hentzi is one of the most docile species you're likely to find. What species do you have from the pet store?

Male tarantulas don't actually migrate, they stick to their home turf. But in the fall they do all go out on the prowl, looking for mates. Many can be seen at a time all moving in the same direction and many assume it is a migration.

A study was done in the mid 90's using radio telemetry, and the male that traveled the furthest had only gone a mile. Still quite a distance for a guy with a 5 inch legspan!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Have spent many, many hours over the years in the woods and have yet to have the luck of seeing a tarantula. Lots of Wolf spiders, and such tho'. Thank you for the picture, posts and all.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:41 PM

99 posts, read 231,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevez2 View Post
Thanks, that is a great site! I'll be contacting John soon.

By the way, if anyone is wondering what a Missouri tarantula looks like, here ya go:

Aphonopelma hentzi (Missouri brown tarantula)
You could feed a family of four with that thing!!!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 PM

169 posts, read 398,240 times
Thanks for the beautiful photo. I got interested, found a tarantula club online, and read up on the local species. Very interesting. Thanks again for helping to expand my world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri